Jay Evensen: Will the Wasatch Front end up like the Bay Area?

• a bit of reality Shawnee Mission, KS
    May 18, 2017 7:40 p.m.

Zero population growth is the answer, my friend.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    May 18, 2017 6:06 p.m.

"Democrats are probably fine with any Obamacare replacement as long as that replacement ..."

What difference does it make what the Dems want or would be "fine with"?

The GOP can pass whatever it wants. One can separate "conservatives" and the GOP. And they should.

Whatever health care plan we have going forward is on Republicans. Good, bad or whatever. The GOP owns it. And they can own it without one single Democratic vote.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 18, 2017 5:52 p.m.

We can all agree that if there was a single payer healthcare system, making the house payment would be a lot easier.
    Unlimited growth is a cancer. But this is Utah so developers can do anything they want.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    May 18, 2017 4:30 p.m.

JoeBlow: "I am guessing that whatever plan they agree on and pass is going to have lots of issues also. It is a hard problem."

I am well aware of the worn-out Dem talking point that Obamacare is just a conservative idea; but another huge government program to try and regulate and mandate another major part of our lives is the exact opposite of conservatism.

I agree with you that whatever plan Republicans come up with will have lots of issues if they fall for the progressive notion that the ONLY solution to the health care problem is another big government program. Those never go as planned and grow way beyond their original intent.

Democrats are probably fine with any Obamacare replacement as long as that replacement is every bit as big as a fiasco at Obamacare itself. As long as government is in charge, they are happy.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    May 18, 2017 10:25 a.m.

No, SL Valley will not be San Francisco, which is beautiful and pretty well managed.

It will be Los Angeles County--every square inch paved and developed, decaying strip malls everywhere, paralyzed in gridlock, and choking in its own pollution.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    May 18, 2017 9:20 a.m.

"This is the opposite of Obamacare. Everyone was mandated to buy it. Everyone was required to get coverage for a bunch of things they did not want."

This blueprint was first suggested and championed by the very conservative heritage foundation. The concept of getting everyone in the insurance pool was touted as a free market solution. Wonder what changed. Could it be that the Democrats got on board?

But, going forward, the GOP can pass whatever they want. They control house, senate and presidency.

No one seems to be talking about why health care is so expensive. I would contend that it is outrageous profits by hospitals for a product that we cant do without.

But that is a whole other discussion

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    May 18, 2017 8:47 a.m.

UtahBlueDevil: "Cap... you do understand how insurance pools work, right?"

I understand how NORMAL insurance pools work. Everyone who buys insurance has the option of buying it or not. They have the option of selecting from pools that cover what they want. If it is too expensive, you can take your chances without it. The exception is liability insurance for cars and homeowner's insurance when you have a mortgage. Even then, you have the option of not driving or not buying a house with a mortgage.

This is the opposite of Obamacare. Everyone was mandated to buy it. Everyone was required to get coverage for a bunch of things they did not want. That is why the premiums skyrocketed and you had to buy it anyway. It is not really 'insurance'. It is a money transfer system from the young to the old.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    May 18, 2017 5:41 a.m.

The biggest reason for population growth in Utah is Utahans having more Utahans.

• IceCreamGhost Sandy, UT
    May 17, 2017 11:59 p.m.

The real answer to this is unpleasant but it's this: as the population grows, not everyone will get to live in a house with a yard and people will have to accept smaller dwellings - town houses, condos and apartments.

Many people would do well with smaller homes - new couples, students, single people and the elderly. If we start planning for that eventuality it will ease the pressure on the housing shortage and we can make Salt Lake City a vibrant, diverse liveable city with plenty of suburbs for families and people who want a bit more space.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    May 17, 2017 8:01 p.m.

Twenty years ago Utah had TV commercials explaining how they don't want to be like California.

Now, your worst dream is coming true, DUDE!

• Sequoya Stafford, VA
    May 17, 2017 7:39 p.m.

"The Wasatch Front never will rival the Bay Area as a destination or as an economic and cultural center." I hope that is the case--we have our own culture along the W front, which should be nurtured for its own sake. I hope W front, even in SLC, never imitates SF. We can become and are,our own culture supercenter.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    May 17, 2017 2:33 p.m.

"I hope you sent a nice thank-you letter to Obama for that situation. Young, healthy people are paying much, much more under Obamacare so that they can pay for old, sick people (after government and insurance companies get their cut, of course)."

Cap... you do understand how insurance pools work, right? Its not insurance when you pay proportional to your cost. Insurance is based on the idea that enough people will not need to make claims to help pay for the claims of those who do need coverage.

If we take "healthy" people out of the pool, cost would sky rocket through the roof. Why don't we just go back to a cash payment system then. Obama didn't force one company to play in the insurance system - every company had the option to be in, or out. Many are opting out. But that is their choice - not Obama's. You want an explanation of why medical care cost so much - no need to look farther than the corporatization of the medical delivery system who is beholden to wall street - not patients. Their focus is on profit margins - not patient outcomes.

• Johnny Triumph Lahaina, HI
    May 17, 2017 1:36 p.m.

We've built a robust tech industry here...as far as current cost of living and pay rates go Utah is as good as it gets for me. I've looked all over the world and there are few places that can pay me what I earn here and are as cheap (even with recent hikes in costs) to live. Just about the only way for me to do better is to take my remote working payrate and move somewhere dirt cheap. As long as I've got internet I can work...I either need to move to central Nevada or Hawaii, one extreme or the other!

But land costs are rising to extreme levels, and it's all being built on.

I completely agree with the earlier comment, why are we not building on the rocky land and leaving the farmland? I guess water is the limitation there, but open space and animals really help quality of life...

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    May 17, 2017 1:19 p.m.

Like the bay area.... hardly. Like Austin Texas.... most likely. Growth comes at a cost.... be real careful what you ask for, you might get it. My daily commute.... 14 miles. Depending on time of day - 20 minutes to 1 hr and 15 minutes. You can't just urban sprawl your way to growth.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    May 17, 2017 12:19 p.m.

Employment and wages drives housing demand. If you want less housing demand, you must sacrifice employment and/or wages.

• Den Den West Jordan, UT
    May 17, 2017 11:48 a.m.

Nature has a way of shaking things up.

• IAHawkeye Boone, IA
    May 17, 2017 11:50 a.m.

It is inevitable that housing prices increase in Utah and commutes will get longer. Hopefully that will spur Utahns to move elsewhere where their talents are more needed. I would love to see more young families move to the midwest. On average, people in my profession make more here in Iowa than in Utah and housing costs are much less.

• Hank Pym Draper, UT
    May 17, 2017 10:51 a.m.

My theory is the powers that be (G Hughes, Gov Herbie, Mike Noel etc...) want to make The WF like Orange Co CA & the rest of the state like W Va.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    May 17, 2017 10:47 a.m.

There is no comparison. Ocean salt, their smog an ours, even how they do road repair and how It is done hear. Then weather. Where would I choose? No comparison, why does Utah want to compare themselves to any place. You are what you are an you ain't what you ain't.

• Joshua Stewart Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2017 10:39 a.m.

Folks should refer to Andres Duany and Jeff Speck's book "The Smart Growth Manual" to build a better valley that provides more housing along with better quality of life. If we just pack in more low cost housing at the fringe and your commute is still 2hrs a day it isn't the best solution. Or if we build huge urban mega apartment blocks that are inhumane and stress the social fabric of our neighborhoods we lose opportunities as well. Architects like Moule Polyzoides, Opticos, and Adam Urbanism in England are retrofitting and infilling with housing in beautiful and affordable ways - providing missing middle housing types. Development must also be tempered with thoughtful regulation and community assistance to try to soften what amounts to greed and speculation by some. If redevelopment can be focused on areas where active transportation (walking and cycling) can work reasonably well, folks can jettison a car or two and save a lot of money.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    May 17, 2017 10:29 a.m.

andyjaggy: "It doesn't help when I pay out 700 a month for health insurance, and still have to pay out 4-5k each year on top of that for any medical bills that happen. That's over 15% of my income towards health care."

You can argue that this is the moral, just thing to do; but don't try to deny that this is exactly what the law was designed to do. Obama and his supporters love to talk about those who receive the benefits but never want to talk about those paying the bills.

• patriotstate Herriman, UT
    May 17, 2017 10:10 a.m.

I'm a recent transplant from the East Coast, leasing in Herriman. The high density housing, with a more and more open space being paved every day has already pushed us out, and we are heading to Iron County next month.

It is sad to see so much flat fertile farmland, void of rocks, being turned into the next overpopulated part of Utah.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    May 17, 2017 9:14 a.m.

Yep. My salary is 70k a year, and my wife doesn't work. We have 3 kids and another on the way. We live in a very modest home and are reasonably frugal and some months it just is not enough. I have no idea how anyone survives on less money.