Brad Rock: Danny Ainge is driving to the rim once again

• Calabria1959 Jamesville, NY
    May 19, 2017 3:35 p.m.

And here I sit with his Syracuse Chiefs Rookie Baseball card in hand - ahh the memories!

• Musketman Stansbury Park, UT
    May 19, 2017 12:41 p.m.

Johnofslc......The only reason Ainge didnt suceed in both sports, was time available! Basketball plays 82+ games year and baseball plays 180+ games year, leaving no time for BOTH. He CHOSE to persue just basketball, he was not run off, from the MLB!

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    May 19, 2017 9:49 a.m.

As a Celtics fan, I most remember Ainge for getting into fights he had no chance of winning. I'm not sure if Tree Rollins has ever given back his finger. Ainge usually came out on the wrong end of the fight, but he kept coming back for more. His mocking of a young of Dennis Rodman was pretty good too.

• HaHaHaHa Othello, WA
    May 19, 2017 9:28 a.m.

Larry Bird once said Ainge is the best "athlete" he ever played with. Combined with his competitive fire, and get it done attitude, he has put together a great legacy and had much success.
    I'm not a Lebron fan, but I wouldn't say he is really cocky. I can think of many lesser players in the nba who I would consider to be cocky. I don't like seeing Lebron win championships, so I root against him. The Warriors are way talented, but to soft, to consistently beat the Cavs. The Celtics still need another layer of toughness to be at that level, but Ainge is the one who can probably put that together.

• Common-Tator Saint Paul, MN
    May 19, 2017 9:23 a.m.

No doubt he has the talent, background, and drive to be an incredible college coach, at BYU or anywhere. I couldn't imagine him wanting to take the time required away from family,etc, for the recruiting aspect and all else that comes with being a college head coach (again, speaking time-wise). I doubt money would ever be a concern for him, but the time aspect, and the disrespect directed toward even wildly successful head coaches, is something that would weigh heavily against him making such a move.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    May 19, 2017 8:36 a.m.

He was the best College Player in the Country his Senior year.
    And he is now the best CEO in the NBA...hands down.
    Amazing man....Amazing Legacy.

• raclaw Woodland, CA
    May 19, 2017 8:36 a.m.

I was in Club Cal-Neva in Reno, NV when they were showing the BYU-Notre Dame basketball game in their sports lounge. I watched him go end to end past all five Notre Dame players to lay in the winning basket. I think the whole casino must have heard me shout. I know that the entire sports lounge heard me and they all stared at me. We then went on to lose our next game in the tournament. As for Danny becoming a BYU head coach, I believe he could, I don't expect it, simply because he has become well established and financially comfortable. He could come back to BYU simply because he loves it and wants to have the Utah lifestyle in his retirement years. Would he have the desire to make the program great? I think he would have desire in anything he endeavors.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 18, 2017 8:49 p.m.

"Ainge is arrogant and cocky"
    "He's a bit on the arrogant side....sure"

He thought he could be a 2-sport pro, until he had such trouble with the curve that Blue Jay fans started tossing basketballs onto the field at every Ainge at-bat.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    May 18, 2017 6:53 p.m.

Ainge has the full confidence of the Boston Celtics, and their confidence in him has paid off. Utah is in that same mold. The Jazz show confidence in their coaches, and they, in turn, show confidence in their players. It is too bad that some of the players don't deserve it. A player has to have the drive to win within themselves, and not find every excuse to justify poor performances. LeBron is a cocky as they come, but he can afford to be, because he simply will not let anyone beat him.

• CaliCougar American Fork, UT
    May 18, 2017 6:40 p.m.

No way we ever see Danny Ainge as HC at BYU, but I would love to see his son Austin considered one day to take the program over when Rose retires.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    May 18, 2017 6:16 p.m.

Rock,

I never said anything about money. A great job is better than one that isn't every time.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    May 18, 2017 6:00 p.m.

@Sports Nutz - Smithfield, UT

Why would Ainge step back on coach at BYU?
    Not everybody is focused on money. Ainge has had a long a successful career. Perhaps he would like to give back? I happens a lot.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    May 18, 2017 4:57 p.m.

The Rock,

Why would Ainge leave his position with Boston to take a big step backward and coach byu? Doesn't make any sense. He's set where he's at now.

• John Glenn Centerville, UT
    May 18, 2017 4:46 p.m.

I believe you position yourself to be "lucky"! Ainge is a fierce competitor that is a gifted athlete and smart "like a fox". Never cheered so loud as a BYU freshman watching him go end to end on Notre Dame! Congrats Mr. Ainge on your "lucky" success.

• TouchdownUtes Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2017 3:28 p.m.

Way back when, I used to think that Ainge should have stayed in Eugene and became a Duck rather than a Cougar. Oregonians had a hard time with his decision. At the time, he was voted the best athlete to ever come out of Oregon.....only to snub his hometown and go to Provo. But....even with that decision, his legacy is intact. His drive against Notre Dame is legendary....and who can argue about his pro career and his general managerial skills, let alone his church service? He's a bit on the arrogant side....sure....but rightfully so. From this Ute fan, I like Danny Ainge. Always have.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    May 18, 2017 2:27 p.m.

He would make a great cougar coach.
    He could attract talent that Dave Rose cannot attract: The Jabari Parker's and Frank Jackson's who are looking for a coach with a track record of preparing players for the NBA.

I like Rose, but Ainge would be amazing.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    May 18, 2017 1:51 p.m.

Ainge is arrogant and cocky, but he is smart and a proven winner. Maybe all those attributes go together. In any event, I have to hand it to him in re-building the Celtics.