NFL locals roundup: Former BYU quarterback Taysom Hill throws a touchdown in his first pro game

• Minnesota Ute Bloomington, MN
    Aug. 14, 2017 3:10 p.m.

I seriously doubt Aaron Rodgers is worried about losing his job. Congratulations Taysom Hill for tearing it up in a PRESEASON game against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

• northern_lights Ogden, UT
    Aug. 13, 2017 6:05 p.m.

Time2play

Nice try, but no true Cougar fan would fail to capitalize the name.

Secondly, there were no "nasty" comments about BJ; simply statesments of fact that he wasn't good enough to play professionally.

• Time2Play Veradale, WA
    Aug. 13, 2017 6:20 a.m.

I must say, as a cougar fan, I'm deeply disappointed with the nasty side comments that certain other cougar fans have made about the Utah program and Brian Johnson, who HELPED put non p-5 teams on the national map, when there is little relevance in this article on the matter. You say that ute fans troll, but you're just as bad.

I wish Taysom the best of luck in the pros. It would be awesome to see him stay on the team and stay injury free.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 12:33 p.m.

"When our little blue brothers are defending Max Hall even years after Hall's embarrassing verbal tirade, we have the quintessential​ definition of 'hypocrisy.'"

First of all, USU's blue is so dark it's debatable whether to call them blue, and secondly I haven't heard them defending Max Hall.

Thirdly, if you hate Max Hall so much, why such the effort to provide any credibility to his tirade?

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 10:21 a.m.

VegasUte

By NFL standards, BJ wasn't even a mediocre QB.

That's not bashing, that's simply stating reality.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Aug. 11, 2017 10:49 p.m.

@ spodie_cramp - Sandy, UT - Aug. 11, 2017 11:03 a.m. - "BleedCougarBlue, hold on a minute.... You might not be aware that this is just the preseason."

What? This is only PRE-season? (roll eyes)

Hey, spodie cramp, I dub thee "MOTO"......Master Of The Obvious. Look, there were a TON of BYU-haters masquerading as Utah fans who said that Taysom Hill would "never" get a shot at the NFL. That's an undisputable fact. Then he got signed to a free agent contract. Then there were still others who said he'd be released before training camp. It HAS happened to others this year, and if I'm not mistaken it's even happened already to a couple of former Utah players. But it DIDN'T happen to Taysom Hill. Then those BYU haters said Taysom would never impress anyone in pre-season. But, that hasn't been the case, either.

Will Taysom Hill make an NFL roster in Green Bay or anywhere else? I have no idea. However, what I DO know is he's already gone farther in the NFL than a large segment of jealous brothers on the hill said he would.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Aug. 11, 2017 10:35 p.m.

@ TheHobbit - Bountiful, UT - Aug. 11, 2017 8:17 a.m. - "there is no doubt that Green Bay will make him the starter now, with amazing stats like that..."

Ahhh...sarcasm.

But did I say that Taysom would now be the starter? No.

Try to keep up, will you? Admit it, you're one of the Utah fans who said Taysom would "never" even get signed as a free agent.

Oops.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Aug. 11, 2017 5:16 p.m.

Note to Ute fans: Taysom Hill is no longer at BYU. He plays for the Green Bay Packers. I know this from reading about it in the Deseret News. BYU's quarterback this year is Tanner Mangum. You can read about him in the DN. This news will be especially interesting the day following the BYU-Utah game.

• JustGordon Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 4:43 p.m.

When our little blue brothers are defending Max Hall even years after Hall's embarrassing verbal tirade, we have the quintessential​ definition of "hypocrisy."

Why be angry when UTE fans point that out. Man up and own it.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 11, 2017 4:24 p.m.

@ND:

It is clear your interpretation of was made to fit your own perspective of who I am and what I said. At the same time, you and other byu fans are doing "everything (you) can to minimize" the achievements of Brian Johnson, for some very inexplicable reason.

If you actually read my posts, you will find that I like Hill and hope that he is successful. All I was trying to say was a little perspective is due about how important these preseason games are, and what their stats mean.

Some of you are making it very hard to continue liking Taysom. It's easier for me to not like him at this point. Some of you can't fathom the fact that I do because it does not fit your narrative of a Utah fan. Did I root for Taysom and Jamaal while they were playing for byu - absolutely not. Do I care at this point that they played for byu - I don't, even though you think I should.

Have a good day y'all. Happy footballing!

Go Utes!

September 9 and the resulting hush over Brigham Young Academy can't get here quick enough!

• Lone*Star Austin, TX
    Aug. 11, 2017 3:56 p.m.

motorbike

"No, Utah fans are just more realistic than BYU fans."

Nope.

You're only assuming that BYU fans don't understand the difference between completing a pass for a touchdown in a pre-season game versus actually making a final NFL roster.

Just because BYU fans are excited to see Taysom having some early success in the NFL, doesn't mean they're unrealistic about his chances of making it in the NFL.

BYU has had 145 players drafted by the NFL and another 182 get NFL opportunities as free agents.

Are you honestly so arrogant as to think that BYU fans who have been watching BYU players transition to the NFL for decades don't understand the process?

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 11, 2017 3:47 p.m.

@WAC man:

"Nobody's "bashing" Brian - just pointing out that, despite his college success, Brian was a mediocre QB". How contradictory is that? LOL.

Who cares? Least of all Brian Johnson. Brian was a very good, but not a great QB. Calling him mediocre is "bashing" him even though you claim that nobody is. Regardless - who cares? Brian has no misgivings that he was not an NFL QB. Yes, Taysom has thrown 1 more preseason TD than Brian Johnson has - so what's the point? You guys are so desperate to make rivalry points that you are grasping at the lowest of straws to make it. It is quite comical.

Brian has a brilliant football mind and was a very effective TEAM leader his senior season. He lead his TEAM to a Sugar Bowl win over Bama & a #2 finish. His lack of NFL experience has not diminished his coaching career in any way. It would have been nice for him to make the NFL, but it didn't work out, just like the vast majority of college QBs. Nobody thinks, or pretends, that this is a big deal except for byu fans, apparently. Y is that?

Quit stretching so far to try and make a point, you're gonna throw your necks out!

Go Utes!

Loving the little brother desperation spin

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 2:21 p.m.

Jello is Good - ,
    Aug. 11, 2017 1:57 p.m.

Is 1280 now a BYU call-in show ? I thought they were Sports radio and discussed various topics.

Maybe all the Jello is clouding reality.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 2:14 p.m.

ND95CA

"Utah fans do everything they can to minimize the achievement of BYU players..."While I am rooting for Hill to succeed, it was a preseason game.""
    -----------------
    No, Utah fans are just more realistic than BYU fans. Read it again but this time without the complex..."While I am rooting for Hill to succeed, it was a preseason game." I read that comment to mean that that person is rooting for Hill to succeed (just as he/she said) but that he/she accepts the reality that it was at the very end of a preseason game. Sorry, I just don't get where that comment is problematic for you.

• Jello is Good ,
    Aug. 11, 2017 1:57 p.m.

@Carnak - Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 1:48 p.m.

"Was it Utah fans or BYU fans on the local call in shows last year wanting Taysom benched for Mangum because the only thing holding back Detmer's offense was "a quarterback who can't throw" ?"

First off I think it's funny that a Ute fan admits to listening to BYU call in shows.

Second off, not I! Hill all the way and the overwhelming majority of BYU fans felt that way.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 1:48 p.m.

PAC man - Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 11, 2017 1:26 p.m.

• ND95CA Lincoln Park, IL
    Aug. 11, 2017 1:38 p.m.

motorbike

Utah fans do everything they can to minimize the achievement of BYU players...

"While I am rooting for Hill to succeed, it was a preseason game - Rogers didn't even play - Taysom came in at the very end of the game, after the second and third string QBs had already played the majority of the game - and Hill was playing against a defense made up of players, the majority of whom will never play in an actual NFL game."

and then whine, when BYU fans compare Taysom's success, so far, to the NFL "career" of the QB of Utah's greatest team ever.

• Just a Mom Vernal, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 1:37 p.m.

I am an avid BYU fan. But I'm just as happy when Utah, USU, Weber, etc., players find success in professional ball. I love watching Alex Smith play for KC, and I hope he has a good year. And many others from Utah...Star, for example.

I am sure Taysom Hill was so very frustrated with the multiple injuries he suffered that prevented him from developing his skills even more. He is a great athlete, an awesome person, and if he can stay healthy I think he has the possibility of a great NFL career. I wish him the best, wherever he ends up. Aaron Rodgers probably has several more years that he can play, so Taysom might not get much playing time at GB, but he can sure learn from Aaron. There are other NFL teams that are hurting for a good QB, and with some time, experience, and good mentoring, I think Taysom will succeed.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 11, 2017 1:31 p.m.

motorbike

"BYU fans talk a good game when it comes to being happy for all the guys from BYU, Utah or anywhere else who get a shot at the NFL."

Don't kid yourself.

Utah fans never pass on an opportunity to bash former BYU players - see Utah fan comments about Harvey Unga, Max Hall, John Beck - the list goes on and on.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 1:27 p.m.

Taysom could win the Nfl hizeman trophy and brian Johnson can't even throw a TD in Nfl.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 11, 2017 1:26 p.m.

VegasUte

"Wow! Seriously? A thread bashing Brian Johnson?"

Remind us what pre-season game Brian played in.

Nobody's "bashing" Brian - just pointing out that, despite his college success, Brian was a mediocre QB whose NFL "career" already pales by comparison to Taysom, whom Utah fans have bashed relentlessly throughout his college career.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 12:28 p.m.

midpacmajor

"You might not be aware, but the hero of Utah's win over Alabama didn't even make to the preseason - never even donned an NFL uniform in a live NFL game."
    -----------
    BYU fans talk a good game when it comes to being happy for all the guys from BYU, Utah or anywhere else who get a shot at the NFL. But when it comes right down to it this is the kind of stuff that fills the comment sections. Let's don't hear the complaining from Cougar fans when Utah fans take jabs at the failings of BYU players...not if you can't practice what you preach.
    Meanwhile feel free to go back and look at several recent articles where I've made sincere comments about being happy to see former Cougars having success in the league. Some advice...get over the complexes people. Cheer for whoever it is you want to cheer for whether that's certain teams and/or certain players, but try leaving your insecurities out of your comments.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 11, 2017 12:26 p.m.

Wow! Seriously? A thread bashing Brian Johnson?

What will little brother come up with next to make themselves feel better.

Taysom made some nice plays in the one drive he had, and I applaud him for it. But have some perspective!

Bashing a QB who last played 8 years ago is really sad! I'm sure Brian is hiding his head in shame while he cashes his coaching checks while making more than the vast majority of any readers on this article. Johnson lead an amazing Utah football TEAM. Maybe Sitake will finally teach byu what that means.

SMH

Go Utes!

Loving the cougar pomposity, which will promptly disappear (again) on September 9

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 12:23 p.m.

Tebow had playoff TD pass for Denver, and wasn't on team a few months later, doubt Hill can surpass Tebow in running or passing, yet I hope I'm wrong. Perhaps Hill being married may bring more success than Tebow.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 11, 2017 12:02 p.m.

Some good play by locals.

Bolles is a total stud starting at left tackle for the Broncos. This guy is an amazing talent and an even more amazing person. I'm very happy that people gave him multiple chances throughout his life.

Dres also looked very good for Houston. Dres will always be one of my favorite Utes. Hoping his time with Houston will last and be productive.

Congrats also to Taysom and Jamaal for Green Bay. I am not a fan of byu by any stretch, not of fan of GB either. But these are two good guys, and I will root for their success.

Not a bad day of football.

Go Utes!

• bluesmule Sandy, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 12:02 p.m.

Man, this is ridiculous. Taysom is living his dream. People who hate him for it probably just hate themselves for not being strong enough to live out theirs. BYU fans who think that Taysom is going to be the next great NFL QB after one pre-season game need to chill. We can just be happy for him that he's making progress and wish him the best. He picked Greenbay for the learning experience from A-aron Rodgers, it's obvious that he's taking this very seriously, even over the possibility of never starting for Greenbay. Good for him. He played well at BYU, but his pass game could have been better. At Greenbay, he's playing behind an offensive line that is set up to protect a passer, and I think we will really see how well he can throw the ball. Bronco did him a disservice when he changed the offense to go-fast-go-hard, but I think his passing game will catch up pretty quickly at Greenbay; he's a great athlete and a smart guy. Again, good for him.

• Pacer Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 11:56 a.m.

As usual the comments section does not fail to disappoint and quickly becomes a "measurement" competition. As a Utes fan let me just say congrats to Taysom for battling through all those injuries and getting his shot at the NFL. Impressive to see the amount of local players on NFL pre-season rosters.

• RememberBYUwinning13of14? Murray, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 11:57 a.m.

To bad GR has some nice backup QB's, because I doubt Hill makes the team. It's possible he lands on another team, but GB, I don't think so, unless a QB gets hurt. Not sure why Williams only got 4 carries, that had me a bit concerned. Go Cougs!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Aug. 11, 2017 11:46 a.m.

Not only did Taysom impress, but he and Jamaal were the leading rushers of the game. Kai Nacua did well and has been noted to be a possible starter even for the Browns. Kaufusi did well too. BYU rookies had a really good showing for week one. Proud of the guys!

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 11:30 a.m.

I'm a huge Taysom Hill fan and thrilled that he's already having success in the NFL.

Taysom is a competitor and would be a great asset for any NFL team.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 11:26 a.m.

spodie_cramp

Compared to Brian Johnson, Taysom has already had a "storied career" in the NFL.

Taysom Hill - "Former BYU quarterback Taysom Hill throws a touchdown in his first pro game"

Brian Johnson - After going undrafted in the 2009 NFL Draft, he was invited to the Green Bay Packers rookie mini-camp. He was not subsequently signed by an NFL team.

Johnson was selected in the inaugural United Football League (UFL) draft by the New York Sentinels. Johnson had said at UFL tryouts, "It's a chance to keep playing football ... You have to take every opportunity you can get. You have to keep knocking on doors. You have to show them you can compete, that you have the physical tools they want." He signed with the team on August 5, 2009, but was released on September 28, 2009.

• midpacmajor Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 11, 2017 11:17 a.m.

spodie_cramp

"You might not be aware that this is just the preseason."

You might not be aware, but the hero of Utah's win over Alabama,

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 11:13 a.m.

Magna Ute Fan

Remind us the last time a Utah QB...

- won a Heisman Trophy
    - won a Sammy Baugh Trophy (Nation's Best Passes)
    - won a Davey O'Brien Award (Nation's Best QB)
    - finished 3rd or higher in the Heisman Trophy voting
    - was enshrined in the National College Football Hall of Fame
    - rushed for over 259 yards versus Texas
    - beat Nebraska in the Huskers' home opener
    - beat the #1-ranked team in the country
    - went toe-to-toe versus the defending Heisman Trophy winning QB... and WON!
    - was selected NFL MVP
    - was named Super Bowl MVP

Just some of the numerous accomplishments of BYU QB's.

Bottom Line:

BYU has been producing great QB's for more than half-a-century.

Taysom is simply one of the latest.

• spodie_cramp Sandy, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 11:03 a.m.

BleedCougarBlue, hold on a minute.... You might not be aware that this is just the preseason. Their roster currently stands at 90, so there is a long long long way to go before he actually makes it to the 53 player active roster. I'm not saying Taysom won't make the GB squad, but with Brett Hundley and Aaron Rodgers ahead of him on the roster he will never make more than a practice squad... and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? How many times did Taysom win Utah again?

• daver Provo, 00
    Aug. 11, 2017 10:51 a.m.

The Lambeau leap was a goose-bump-giving reward for Taysom's perseverance over the years - congrats Taysom! Way cool.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 10:37 a.m.

london_josh-

You're usually a pretty even-handed cougar fan here. But...

"You produce good punters, we produce good QBs, you gotta know your place in the universe."

You're going pretty far back in history when it comes to QBs in the NFL. Last I checked Utah had a legit NFL QB, Alex Smith, and byu did not.

Taysom does seem like a great guy, and I will wish him success.

• PDX_CougarFan Milwaukie, OR
    Aug. 11, 2017 10:31 a.m.

Congrats to all the players getting their shots to live out a dream! I always thought Dres Anderson was awesome. I'm glad he did so well! Props to Kaufusi for the sack as well.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 10:15 a.m.

london_josh - lincoln, CA
    Aug. 11, 2017 9:35 a.m.

You write those first 2 paragraphs and then in the 3rd you have the audacity to talk about other people being immature.

Now that's hypocrisy at its finest.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 10:15 a.m.

ND95CA

"Taysom has already thrown more touchdown passes in the NFL than Utah's "storied" Sugar Bowl MVP."
    -----------------
    Wow you're really reaching there. And sorry but you have it wrong...while we Utah fans certainly like Brian Johnson, he wasn't the STORY (storied, as you put it). The story behind Utah's success that year was team work. I'm not sure what that means for your comparison of Hill/BYU to Johnson/Utah but I do know I'm happy to be on the red side of the picture.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Aug. 11, 2017 10:09 a.m.

Tell me, how does it make Utah-SLC fans feel to know that Taysom has already completed more touchdown passes in the NFL than the QB of Utah's best team in history?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 10:05 a.m.

Good for Taysom, hoping he and Jamaal both have a lot of success with the Packers - though I still hope the Packers lose every game.

• staypuffinpc Provo, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 9:47 a.m.

BTW, Dres Anderson tore it up! Target 8 times indicates that he was beating his man a lot, and getting 80 yards out of it? Hopefully, he can do just as well against the 1st-stringers.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 9:44 a.m.

"Tell me, how does it make BYU-Provo fans feel to know that he's doing something (completing passes on the fly) that he couldn't do when he played for you?"

I can't tell if you're serious.... Hill may not have been the best passer, but to imply that he couldn't complete a pass is completely ridiculous.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Aug. 11, 2017 9:35 a.m.

Utah fans,

You produce good punters, we produce good QBs, you gotta know your place in the universe. Sometimes reading these comments I feel like I did when my short neighbor would call my younger brother "shrimp" on the way home from school - I'd just sort of roll my eyes like I'm doing now.

Anyway, Wishnowski is a beast, good for you guys, you'll need him again this year as you punt a lot.

In the mean time maybe don't laugh at BYU QBs in the NFL, seems like we've had some good ones already, and Taysom is an amazing guy on and off the field, so perhaps you just wish him the best of luck as mature people would do now that he's left the ever-in-your-focus rivalry.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 11, 2017 8:56 a.m.

@BleedCougarBlue

I'm just impressed that he got it to the receiver without it hitting the ground first. Tell me, how does it make BYU-Provo fans feel to know that he's doing something (completing passes on the fly) that he couldn't do when he played for you?

• staypuffinpc Provo, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 8:52 a.m.

Fun to see people do well in pre-season games, even though it's mostly 2nd+ stringers vying for playing time. As nice as it is to see Taysom throw a TD pass, the more impressive play was what he did on the drive to set this up. Watch the game highlights and you'll see the arm that everyone always said he didn't have. There were no yards-after-catch on that 46-yard throw; even better, he made it look effortless and placed it where only the receiver could catch it. He may have been the 3rd QB to play in the game, but he certainly looked more solid than #7. I'd say he probably moves up a roster spot after this game. Third string, but making headway.

• ND95CA Lincoln Park, IL
    Aug. 11, 2017 8:48 a.m.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 11, 2017 8:24 a.m.

For a mid major team of little girls, BYU players in the Pros didn't do to bad. Interesting that Hill was passing well. Green Bay obviously saw something they liked. Good for him.

• TheHobbit Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 8:17 a.m.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Aug. 11, 2017 8:17 a.m.

As another Green Bay QB would say, "relax." This is pre-season. He got in at the very end of the game. Yeah, he did some good things, but that is no guarantee he is in the Packers' future plans.

I hope he makes the roster, but consider that Aaron Rodgers didn't play in this game and there were two other QBs that played before Hill. The odds aren't in his favor.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Aug. 11, 2017 12:31 a.m.

Article title: "Former BYU quarterback Taysom Hill throws a touchdown in his first pro game"

Article quote: "Hill completed 4-of-5 passes for 69 yards on the drive, including a 46-yard pass to DeAngelo Yancey that set the Packers up at the Eagles’ 9-yard line. The dual-threat quarterback who went undrafted added two rushes for 14 yards, including a 12-yard scramble on second-and-8 that helped jump-start the drive."

Nope, that is NOT gonna make the same Utah fans who predicted Taysom would never get to the NFL very happy.

Love it!