Dick Harmon: Surprise BYU football hero Jake Oldroyd now 'thriving' on his mission

• balanceok Heber City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2017 9:20 a.m.

Greatest mission in the world and he's been privileged to serve in some incredible sectors.

• Sukiyaki Pleasant Grove, UT
    Aug. 13, 2017 4:43 p.m.

An awesome kick for sure. The Boise State game would have turned out differently had he been healthy.

He gets the ball into the air rather nicely.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Aug. 13, 2017 12:29 p.m.

Chile Osorno! Sweet! That was my mission. I, too, served in Villarrica. Quellon was part of my area when I served in Castro, since we didn't have missionaries there at the time; but we never made it out to that town. The Isle of Chiloe (where Quellon is located) is a beautiful and unique place. Houses on stilts at the edge of the ocean; beautiful, green hills; wonderful people.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 13, 2017 4:52 a.m.

Dick Harmon: This is YOUR kind of story. You hit it out of the ball park with the details and emotions of this young man's life and his life-changing experience at the AZ game. That was a magic moment indeed! Congratulations to Elder Oldroyd and the further success he is experiencing in Chile. See you in 1 1/2 yr.

Go BYU Cougars!

• Josh Oldroyd Southlake, TX
    Aug. 12, 2017 11:34 p.m.

What a beast.

• Austin Coug Pflugerville, TX
    Aug. 12, 2017 9:51 p.m.

Glad to hear he is doing well on his mission. Chlieans are a wonderful people. Will be back to see him back on the field in a couple years. Will never forget the green cleated kicker from texas.

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 9:44 p.m.

Great kicker and even better priorities.

• toosmartforyou Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 9:16 p.m.

My two sons and I spent the time, money and effort to attend that game. Right at the end, one of them said "So it's all come down to this, a field goal attempt" and the other said "Yup." I said, "Well we blocked that one against UCLA in Las Vegas to win and we had at least one blocked in Salt Lake, so we'll just have to see what happens." We were sitting on about the goal line and we could tell the kick was long enough without any doubt, but we couldn't tell if it was between the uprights...that is, until the Y fans in the end zone stood up, raised their arms and started screaming. My visions of wasting a lot of money to see a defeat flew out of my mind. I started laughing uncontrollably, and then I started dancing. Not too bad of way for a soon-to-be-retired guy who has watched BYU football in person since 1969 to celebrate!! Not bad at all!!!! (And one of my sons took a video to prove I was actually dancing.)

• byewt Southlake, TX
    Aug. 12, 2017 7:14 p.m.

Definitely ice in his veins. The kid is clutch. Will be great to get him back.