Utah beats BYU 19-13, extends rivalry-win streak to 7

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 12, 2017 3:15 p.m.

I am a longtime Ute fan and Cougar disliker and I'm very happy with our win streak, but I have to say that I'm not going to disrespect the current Cougar squad or the program in general. I have been around long enough to have been trounced by wonderful BYU teams coached by good and great coaches and I never even thought of the notion of picking up my football and refusing to play. If you are a fan who is saying one single word about dropping football or dropping down to D2 you ought to be reminded that this is incredibly disrespectful to what Coach Edwards (and even coaches before him) and some wonderful players have built. They didn't build it to have you talk about abandoning it over a seven game Ute win streak. It's actually silly. Your team is struggling against the Utes right now. Big deal. Now is the time they need your support more than ever. It's pathetic that a Ute fan has to come on these threads and straighten you out, but it is what it is. Put your big boy fan pants on and support your team! Okay--Xert's done with ya. Cougars on three!

• New to Utah Provo, UT
    Sept. 12, 2017 9:40 a.m.

Tyler Huntley burned the Y all night. Utes defense was stout credit coaching. BYU left it all on the field but had no answers to Huntleys speed. Utah is not a top 20 team maybe 25. The big dogs would crush the U but their defense stopped the Y.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 11, 2017 4:30 p.m.

london_josh

"...you wouldn't be commenting if you simply didn't care!"
    -------------
    I never said I didn't care, I do care. But I can tell you that once Utah was up 9-0 I was never worried that Utah would lose that game.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Sept. 11, 2017 3:06 p.m.

Motorbike,

If I were a BYU fan and claimed moral victories you'd tell me to look at the scoreboard - and you'd be right, the scoreboard doesn't lie.

I'm right on this one, you need to look at the scoreboard.

Rewind the game to where the Utah fans are up and cheering when BYU had 3 bad passes to end our chances in the game, you'll see Utah fans and coaches and player celebrating because as impossible as it seemed at the half, BYU did make it a game in the end (too little too late).

Go back to last year, you don't think that people were nervous in RES with Taysom going for the 2 point conversion? Single play could have given the win to BYU.

Go back to the Vegas bowl game, Tanner had the defense on skate during the 2nd half, it was a massive relief when our D failed to contain and Utah could run out the clock.

Your opinion is contrary to fact and evidence, the fact of the matter is that in the last 6 of 7 games it's come down to a single play at the end. If you watched the game, listened to Whittingham and payed attention to a long list of scoreboards you'd see that we all dismiss your opinion as rivalry banter -you wouldn't be commenting if you simply didn't care!

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Sept. 11, 2017 2:46 p.m.

Looking back at this game, pretty frustrating to see the offense continue to sputter. I think Ty is running too complex of a system for a young group of skill position players on offense. Mangum looks like he is having to think too much out there. It's time to simplify the offense and start running an offense that fits the strengths of your QB.

The lack of a running game has really hurt as well, hopefully we see more of Ula going forward, he gave the team a spark in the 2nd half and looks like he should be the primary back going forward.

I commend the BYU defense they continue to get big stop after big stop and they were the reason BYU even had a chance to win at the end. The only touchdown they gave up was on a drive that Utah started at BYU 23 yard line.

Utah looks like they may have found a QB, the only problem is they run him way too much. If he continues to run the ball 15 to 20 times a game, the chances of him stay healthy are slim at best. His small frame won't be able to withstand all the hits. If I am a Utah fan I am pretty concerned about that going forward. Utah's RB, Moss wasn't much of a factor against BYU, you better hope that changes going forward.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Sept. 11, 2017 2:04 p.m.

"how many more losses will it take before mangum is on the bench and we get to see a much more athletic Beau Hoge"

I can't see the change happening with Wiscy, at least one more.

USU might have a "Riley Nelson" moment if BYU isn't cutting it.

We saw 2 scrimmages this year, one dominated by the offense and they were pretty much unstoppable, the other dominated by the defense - that offense hasn't shown up yet to play this year.

Chances are high that BYU turns it on, we finally have a RB that we can trust, we have receivers that don't get open and drop balls but TEs that can get the job done.

Hill was successful without the TEs or WRs because he's dare the defense to pressure him because when they did he'd run right through them.

who knows what we'll see coming up - the offense will click or we need a change. I do think that the Tanner story about going to the NFL directly after this season isn't really an option at this point in time.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 11, 2017 2:03 p.m.

london_josh

Ute fans were never worried in this one. Had Utah not shot themselves in the foot several times this one wouldn't have had a score that made the outcome appear closer than it was. The game announcers said as much repeatedly.
    Bottom line, since 2010 BYU has only held the lead on Utah for a total of 9 1/2 minutes out of a possible 360. By way of comparison, North Dakota has played Utah once in that span and managed to keep a lead for 10:34. I understand how the close scores continue to keep BYU fans believing but when you look deeper these teams just aren't that close anymore.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Sept. 11, 2017 1:28 p.m.

"If I was a BYU fan I'd be telling myself this too."

motorbike - we don't have to, the score board already did.

We were still in that game, congrats to the Utes, but it got tight in the end, LSU didn't worry about BYU after the first 5 minutes and I doubt Wiscy will either.

Congrats and all on the victory, but don't let your head get too big, while you might find it humorous BYU fans can say that "had we not dropped those passes . . . or missed that FG . . " or come up with a number of excuses - and they can because in your run of 7 6 of those 7 would have been a score away from BYU winning - look at LSU, BYU shouldn't have even been on the same field as them. That's the difference.

So despite losing, as long as the scoreboard tells us that we're close, we'll believe it - you can take away the 7 wins in a row which is impressive and you own that, but you might not own as much as you think you do over BYU, it's still a close game from 2 schools that are more alike than they are different as much as people don't want to admit that.

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Sept. 11, 2017 1:14 p.m.

I only have one question that i would like answered honestly after Sat. nights debacle ...Just how many more losses will it take before mangum is on the bench and we get to see a much more athletic Beau Hoge ??? Mangum has got to have one of the lowest QB ratings in all of college football today ...

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 11, 2017 12:43 p.m.

"Of course, the elite schools (Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, USC, etc) always have a big advantage, but generally if you're not one of the elites you're not leaps and bounds over the others."
    ----------
    If I was a BYU fan I'd be telling myself this too.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Sept. 11, 2017 11:27 a.m.

@Jackie Treehorn

Thanks for helping further drive my point. I don't know if that's what you were intending. My point is that the talent gap between schools in P5 conferences and schools not in P5 conferences isn't as big as people think, in general. Of course, the elite schools (Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, USC, etc) always have a big advantage, but generally if you're not one of the elites you're not leaps and bounds over the others.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Sept. 11, 2017 10:51 a.m.

I'd like to personally thank the University of Utah football team for making a bad BYU football team look competitive.

• AZ Ute Scottsdale, AZ
    Sept. 11, 2017 10:43 a.m.

I applaud Coach Whitt for going for it on 4th down. If the biggest weakness on your team is scoring touchdowns in the red zone, work on fixing it when you have a chance before PAC-12 schedule begins.

• Jackie Treehorn St George, UT
    Sept. 11, 2017 9:48 a.m.

Riverton Cougar: "Like the talent gap between Boise State and Washington State?"
    Boise is a good team and everyone knew that already.

"Like the talent gap between Colorado State and Oregon State?"
    Oregon State is a very bad team.

"Like the talent gap between Portland State and Oregon State?"
    See above.

"Like the talent gap between Syracuse and Middle Tennessee?"
    See above and replace "Oregon State" with "Syracuse".

Like the talent gap between Eastern Michigan and Rutgers?
    See above and replace "Oregon State" / "Syracuse" with "Rutgers".

Like the talent gap between Houston and Arizona?
    See above and replace "Oregon State" / "Syracuse" / "Rutgers" with "Arizona".

Like the talent gap between San Diego State and Arizona State?
    See above and replace "Oregon State" / "Syracuse" / "Rutgers" / "Arizona" with "Arizona State".

"Like the talent gap between Pittsburgh and Youngstown State?"
    Pittsburgh is decent, but YSU is quickly becoming an FCS powerhouse under Jim Tressel and Bo Pelini. Pretty evenly matched.

Hope that helps!

• burningblue Provo, UT
    Sept. 11, 2017 8:44 a.m.

@Utahute72

Completely agree. This isn't a talent issue, it's a coaching one. The reason BYU's wide outs aren't getting separation isn't a speed issue, it's toughness. Corners get physical with them and they don't know how to be physical back. I've seen the wide outs out run your mighty Utah defenders. A couple of times last week they had a step and Mangum just flat out missed them. But they don't get separation on most of the plays. Why? They have no toughness. Cahoon isn't going to teach that to them. He's a poor coach. If we don't see progress soon, it's going to be time to make a change.

• cougarsrock Springville, UT
    Sept. 11, 2017 8:43 a.m.

Congrats to the Utes and their victory Sat. Night and a remarkable 7 game and counting win streak against the Y . It was easy to see from the 1st quarter on that the cougs were completely out matched. Best of luck for the rest of the season...

• UtahTroutStalker Draper, UT
    Sept. 11, 2017 8:36 a.m.

I bet Tanner Mangum is wishing he could have do over on his mission decision. His stock is falling fast now.

He was a member of the elite 11 camp with Jamemis Winston (now in his 3rd year in the NFL)

Now with a 7 game win streak over BYU the win no longer helps the U move in the polls. The Y is quickly becoming irrelevant in football. Maybe time to rethink the sport at the school.

• Jello is Good ,
    Sept. 11, 2017 8:12 a.m.

@Lia - Sandy, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 7:27 a.m.

"Poor coaching, bad play calling, perfectly inadequate quarterback, slow defense.
    Do your students a favor. Go down to Div. II where they have at least a chance to compete."

Slow down there champ. I agree our QB stinks and it's time for a change, but this talk of BYU dropping its football program or, in your estimation, drop to Division II is crazy talk.

BYU's record over the last five years against non-P5 teams is 32-8. That type of record puts them at 1st or 2nd place in any G5 conference. But as an Independent we get more money and play better competition.

It's a down time for BYU, but we would still be a top G5 team if we went back.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Sept. 11, 2017 7:08 a.m.

People keep on mentioning talent gap.

Like the talent gap between Boise State and Washington State?

Like the talent gap between Colorado State and Oregon State?

Like the talent gap between Portland State and Oregon State?

Like the talent gap between Syracuse and Middle Tennessee?

Like the talent gap between Eastern Michigan and Rutgers?

Like the talent gap between Houston and Arizona?

Like the talent gap between San Diego State and Arizona State?

Like the talent gap between Pittsburgh and Youngstown State?

These supposed "talent gaps" are over-exaggerated. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just that there are more factors.

In BYU's case, it's not that they didn't have the talent to compete. It's the offensive woes that are plaguing BYU right now. Ty Detmer is installing a new, complex system. It may just need significantly more reps to get down. Or the system may be seriously flawed. Either way, BYU's offense was not prepared. BYU's defense did well. Yes, there's still hope for BYU's offense; they did score 2 TDs (one with major help from the defense, I admit).

As for later in the season, sure it could make a difference, especially considering reps for a new offense.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2017 6:40 a.m.

The comments saying we don't have the athletes we need are not true, we have excellent, top notch athletes we have at least 5 if not more wide receivers & DB's that run under 4.4, that's great and not a lot of teams would have more. We have big , strong, tough lineman, good athletic LB's, athletic fast DB's. We have fast athletic wide receivers, RB's are questionable but maybe Ula can step up, hope they give him the Playing time. It isn't that they're not athletic, it's they're not executing. To me that's coaching.

-----

How does a coach execute a play?

You 60ish ranked talent and it shows, 4-10 28% vs PAC-12. Bottom feeder is what you are, own it.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 9:01 p.m.

taking a stand for truth - Lehi, UT "There is a light-years difference between Tanner and Tyler Huntley. Why can't BYU recruit someone who is truly athletic, smart and brave?"

BYU has landed two Elite 11 recruits in Jake Heaps and Tanner Mangum.
    Ruined them both.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 10, 2017 8:46 p.m.

Utah has better athlete, especially at the skill positions. However they played sloppy and would've lost to a good team. I wish BYU the best of luck going forward.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Sept. 10, 2017 8:09 p.m.

jmac77 - West Valley City, UT
    said:
    "It's always funny to me when fans of a losing team mock the winning team as being "mediocre," "horrible" or "bad," as I've seen BYU fans post here. If you really feel that way, how much worse does that make your team? Truth is, Utah is brimming with talent and will be fine. The penalties and red zone issues are correctable. Utah isn't going to win at USC or Washington anyway. Every other team is beatable."

Those are two top ten teams on Utah's schedule. And more ranked teams coming up.
    When will BYU say something like that about their schedule ever again?

To be the man, you have to beat the man
    --Ric Flair
    Wooooooooooooo!!!

• rslutefan Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 10, 2017 6:55 p.m.

Utah played well between the 20s but the Red Zone offense was BAD and they need to figure out non QB run game. The defense played well enough and really only gave up a single score (the offense gave away the other.) The combination of Utah's offensive ineptness and BYUs defense kept it reasonable.

But after 3 games BYUs offense has tons of question marks.

People can argue all they want about the talent being close but in several key skill positions it is clearly not.

8 of the 12 PAC12 teams are ranked in the top 30 in both the AP and coaches poll. The level of talent it takes to be in and compete in the league is a step above. It just is. Eventually some of the Provo faithful will just have to admit that.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 10, 2017 6:33 p.m.

Talent difference is there but not as big as it appeared. I agree with UtahUte72, BYU receivers route running was horrible. Struggled to get off press coverage, against mam coverage which Utah played most of the night you have to make sharp breaks and keep running. BYU receivers banana all their inside cuts. The offensive pass interference in the end zone was little league obvious. Offensive play calling completely unimaginative, much like last year. The problem is less on players on offense and more on coaching. Poor technique, poor execution, poor game plan all are bigger problems on offense than is talent.

• DJ64 Herriman, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 6:26 p.m.

To Riverton Cougar:
    In the past I have reminded you I am not a Ute fan. I will tell you outright I root for SUU, OUR rivalry game is on Oct. 14th in Ogden. I will also admit that BYU did not play flawless on Saturday, but the point I have brought up in these boards for the past 2 seasons became PAINFULLY evident this game. The Cougars do not have the talent to compete with the Utes in any way shape of form, for as bad the the Cougars played Saturday the Utes played WORSE !!

• taking a stand for truth Lehi, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 6:12 p.m.

Coach Sitaki said Utah played well last night. I beg to differ. The utes have great talent, great potential but they played a lousy game... especially offense. The score would have been twice what it was for Utah if they didn't keep shooting themselves in the foot. NO, Utah stunk compared to their potential.

And BYU? Well, its the worst team I have seen in 40 years. I believe BYU has talent but don't seem to be coached well... both sides of the ball. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool-true-blue fan of BYU but I gotta tell it like it is. I was a great fan of Tanner but really don't think he is going to be more than mediocre. He is just not quick of mind or feet. And he panics too easy. I would completely write him off except for the fourth quarter last night he started coming through and standing tall. Short of some life coming out of him in that quarter I would say move on to the next quarterback.

• GreyWolf ,
    Sept. 10, 2017 4:36 p.m.

As a Utah fan, I would advise patience to BYU fans. It isn't always easy, but building a team around a new offensive system takes time. I think it is way too early to be demanding the firing of Detmer.

It is not reasonable, in my opinion, to expect a team in the position BYU is in (with their head coach and OC in just their second year and trying to implement the offense around a new starting QB and RB) not to struggle offensively for a while, especially given the opponents they face early in the season.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 4:20 p.m.

It's ok WACerton cougar, I think you were one of many coug fans on here predicting a win by the whY? Telling us of the "Kalani effect" and such? Don't worry, after mid October schedule, you'll be one of many claiming "it's a good thing you aren't playing us now".

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 3:53 p.m.

I am disappointed in BYU fans. Sitake needs at least 5 to 6 years with this program and fans after 14 games with this staff are already calling for the OC job and tanner to be benched.

You guys are in rebuilding mode. Patience is needed.

• TouchdownUtes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 3:28 p.m.

Congrats to the Utes on making it 7 in a row and 12 out of 15......Good game, BYU.....

Hey Riverton Cougar......care to tell us who has the best football team in the State of Utah?

• What To Do Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 3:18 p.m.

So this is what happens when one brother is invited to grows up and goes on to play in a real conference and the other one gets mad and takes his ball and walks away from the conference his in to be independent, while saying "we can be great without a conference, we have TV and a vast audience".

The reality is, BYU, should have stayed in the MWC and worked to dominate that conference while promoting themselves to other power conferences. Going independent has now put BYU in a really sad and unfortunate situation regarding recruiting and challenging of their players to make them better. If you are a young man, who love the game, and wants to play in great games and have an equal to better change of beating first shelf caliber teams like USC, UCLA and Stanford, why at this point why would you ever pick BYU? Answer you wouldn't. You would pick the Utes!

BYU needs to figure this out before they become completely irrelevant all together.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 3:03 p.m.

Comments are on here are so predictable. Every time BYU looses fans call for firing the coach, tearing down LES and eliminating all the sports programs. The game was disappointing, especially BYU's lack of offense. As far as eliminating the rivalry no way. If the U were running the cougs out of town maybe. With a few exceptions the rivalry has been competitive. One point difference last year, six this year. Rivalry games are big part of college football and always draw large crowds. I can only hope BYU, the U, and USU keep playing each other. Fans love rivalry games. Lets keep it that way. As of right now lowly Weber State may be the best team in the state. Did anyone even notice that WSU had a fourth quarter lead on Cal of the PAC 12 before loosing 33-20. Not bad for a FCS school.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 2:47 p.m.

Funny to see all these comments about how poorly Utah played and how it should have been a 5 TD domination if not for this or that.... You'd think BYU played a flawless game and played their best.

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    Sept. 10, 2017 2:15 p.m.

Astounding... how could Utah outplay Byu and yet with 1:30 remaining in the 4th quarter Byu has the ball down 6 points at their own 9 yard line???

It was the perfect storyline for Byu. March down the field and with time expiring they score the winning touchdown. This is the only way Byu has won in the last 20 years, last second miracles.

Utah needs to stop fumbling and committing penalties. And at crucial times like 3rd and 4th down, be a little unpredictable. Lets surprise the defense sometimes. Lets be unconventional sometimes.

• CVMD Logan, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 2:11 p.m.

There is a lot of finger pointing after this kind of loss, especially at Magnum. As I watched the game I wondered if you could pull Tom Brady off the Michigan sideline or Aaron Rogers from the California huddle and somehow bring them from the past and plunk them down in a BYU uniform, could they do much better? Sure, somewhat better, but they would still struggle. BYU lacks team speed. Speed is a requirement for an effective pro set, especially on the outside to stretch the field. Because of BYU's status as an independent and its homogenous conservative culture, let alone the honor code, recruiting P5 competitive speed and power will always be difficult. Maybe Sitaki is a recruiting super man. If not, BYU wins against P5 teams will get rarer and rarer. Right now I would put BYU in the middle of the Mountain West Conf., behind Boise State, Colorado State and Wyoming. Maybe a lot of improvement is forthcoming, but I can see Utah winning 9 out of 10 games for the next several years. The relationship will be similar to what BYU and USU has been.

• steve24/7 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 2:06 p.m.

Our offense just isn't very good. Even N Dakota St scored 16 against utah and the Chattanooga Mocs (who? what??) scored 10 against LSU. And we only got 13 and 0 against those same opponents??

Well, a different QB might get a chance to start next game since Tanner got hurt right at the end last night and went limping off the field, then they were checking out his leg. But if he does play against Wisconsin he'll probably be even less mobile than before, won't that be just great.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 2:05 p.m.

I have watched and rooted for the Cougars all my life (67yrs) & I've never been more frustrated. I tweeted Steve Young last week, I don't know who to blame more Ty or Tanner and he tweeted back Ty. I believe that but I also think Tanner is stinking it up, making bad throws, bad decisions and not looking like the leader this team needs. I don't think they will give Beau a chance but they should, Tanner just isn't cutting it.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 10, 2017 1:53 p.m.

@Brave

-----

Here's an example from local BYU hype media.

On Talkn Sports last week had an ex BYU player on who said after the NDSU game that Utah was basically Carrington and Moss, and if thats all Utah has then he liked BYU chances of winning.

Well, Moss was shutout yesterday and we played a horriable game and we still denominated.

• Yankees24 SLC, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 1:41 p.m.

BYU fan here.. There were a few things that I observed last night. Regarding BYU, Ty Detmer is struggling with play calling. He is playing it way too safe and refuses to change things up. Second, last year was very detrimental to the progress of Tanner. He looks less confident and has seemed to have forgotten how to feel the pressure. Instead of making something happen, he runs backward and gets sacked or doesn't move and gets leveled. Third, our receivers are awful. They create no separation and have a hard time catching the ball when it hits them in the hands. The lone player that seems to be a special talent on offense is Matt Bushman. He very well may become the next great BYU TE. Defensively, we are not creating nearly enough pressure on the QB but I like what I saw. Solid defense against an explosive team.

As for Utah, Huntley is going to be a stud. Utah finally has a QB that may actually get them somewhere in the tough south conference. He reminds me a lot of Lamar Jackson in terms of athleticism and arm strength. Utah's defense was solid as usual. As good as the D was, the offense was nothing special. They have the potential to be lights out. Penalties need work as well.

• Jayson Meline Chubbuck, ID
    Sept. 10, 2017 1:22 p.m.

Where is the perspective? This is a rebuilding year. BYU will be a better team by playing superior talent in the long run; but not this year.

Detmer can coach and teach. Last year he adapted to Williams and Hill and ran an offense that leveraged their talents to really overachieve. He is more than aware the pro-style offense is not something the talent and aptitude he has is capable of running.. He knows he has to change things up until they can recruit players that can run it.

The coaches have to know they have inferior strength, speed, and size to compete in a Power 5 environment, especially at DB, Wide-Receiver, and Running back. The O-Line and D-Line have great size, but no foot speed or agility compared to a Power 5 program. Can't run a pro-style offense without an agile O-line that allow time to work through progressions for the QB and receivers to develop routes.

It is no secret BYU is fighting for the survival of the program in the evolving environment they are competing in. I give a window of 3 to 5 years for this staff to either be able to compete on a Power 5 level, head back to a Mountain West affiliation, or maybe the end of division 1 football at BYU.

• EightOhOne St. George, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 1:05 p.m.

A friend and I made a bet on the game. What would happen first, a failed 2-point conversion, or a fake punt deep in BYU's own territory. I lost by going with the fake punt LOL

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:52 p.m.

I agree with the comment about dropping football and adopting a WCC type athletic program, football is not in line with the principles of the gospel espoused by BYU. Additionally, the honor code, while honorable, is way too limiting for a program to be in the upper tiers of the sport. Hate to say it, but it's time to drop the football program.

• jimbo American Fork, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:43 p.m.

Several posters have suggested BYU drop football. Not gonna happen. There is way too much cash at stake which helps fund the lower profile sports. That could change when the ESPN contract expires in the next couple of years. BYU would do well to be in a conference to make the games more meaningful, but again, if it's not a P-5 conference, there wouldn't be enough money to make it worthwhile which is unfortunate.
    Good luck to the Utes. Huntley is a special player.

• BlueMoonOden Wilmette, IL
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:31 p.m.

And Wisconsin comes to town next week. It won't be pretty.

• LoveTheKittens Central, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:28 p.m.

@ Brave Sir Robin

"No matter what the local media tells you. No matter which ex-legend you hire on your staff. No matter how Utah gift-wraps the game for you. You simply don't have enough talent. I'm not saying you'll never beat Utah again - football is just too weird and too many things can happen. I'm just saying that the field is heavily tilted in Utah's favor now. You should never predict a win again, and one of these years you'll be pleasantly surprised."

But...but...but...what about ESPN FPI?
    What about the Vegas Line?

We are the better team, even though you beat us like a rug...again and again and again ...

• jmac77 West Valley City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:25 p.m.

• matman Provo, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:09 p.m.

I knew Utah would win their 7th in a row and that their defense will frustrate BYU and keep them in the game just like the last 6 games that they have beaten us.

It sucks that we lost, but the good thing is that I'm getting use to this lol.

Congratulations Utah and good luck in the Pac 12

• DETERMINISM UTAH, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 11:54 a.m.

Utahute72 makes a great observation. My biggest concern is that BYU doesn't currently and may not ever have the level of athlete needed to execute the pro-style offense. The strategy requires a versatile quarterback, exceptional run game and fast, athletic wide receiving group. There is a reason only a few college teams run a pro-style offense. I think Utah has a lot of potential if they can clean things up.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 11:50 a.m.

Tyler Huntley would have won the game single-handedly if he switched teams and played for the Cougs. BYU doesn't have enough D1 talent, just a lot of guys who think they are D1. They're the slowest team I've ever seen.

• golfwt Boise, ID
    Sept. 10, 2017 11:20 a.m.

Nothing new here, very boring game, both teams are at best average or worst. Something wrong with Mangum but something worst with the protection he gets from the offensive line. Also, Detner has showed nothing, offensive excitement which use to be at BYU is gone. Doubtful it will happen but maybe after this year Holmoe will finally figure out independence was the worst decision ever made and beg to return to the MWC.

• Stringer Bell Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 10:54 a.m.

CV Storm: "Neither team or their fans should brag about this game. Unless things improve both teams will have a tough time reaching a .500 season. "

However, the glass is half full for Utah as they have a lot of young, inexperienced players and are making fixable mistakes under a new system. For BYU-P, unfortunately, the glass appears to be empty. Out-coached, outmanned, and outplayed ; going to be impossible to fix that.

• niners Waynesville, MO
    Sept. 10, 2017 10:54 a.m.

As a Utah fan this is legitimately the first year this rivalry felt more like the Utah/USU rivalry. Utah played terrible, but the talent level was so one sided that Utah still dominated (regardless of what the score shows, the outcome was never in question after the first quarter). That isn't necessarily a knock on BYU. Utah just has more money and better recruits being in the PAC, its just a fact. It's kind of sad to say (surprisingly) but the BYU "magic" just isn't there anymore. When BYU got the ball, I would normally be terrified that the "BYU magic" of old was going to come back and win the game, or at least get a shot at the end zone. Last night I wasn't a nervous at all. The magic isn't there. I knew there was no chance BYU would drive 85 yards, or even reach mid field. It's sad because that "magic" has been a huge part of this rivalry, and it just isn't there anymore.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 10:50 a.m.

Let's point out the obvious things everybody knows..........

1- Utah far better team and program
    2- If Utah don't clean up bad snaps dump penalties etc. will be long year in PAC12
    3- Game was 6 point difference but clear to everybody watching should have been more like a 30 point victory
    4- Utah is very young losing 10 guys to NFL is hard to replace if they can learn to put it together with talent they have and play tough D no mistakes they can have good season
    5- Cougie fans same story every year greatest pre-season team on earth. Dissapear in September will be back end of November claiming how their now the better team, etc, etc. Then will be off season Nat champs again, LOL

7 in a row, overall domination

• HS Sport Dude Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 10:40 a.m.

Saturday was a great day in college football. I love the SEC and Alabama and have to admit I am much more of a BYU hater than a Utah lover. Alabama wins, BYU loses, Utah wins, Notre Dame loses to an SEC school, Ohio State loses to anybody....all good things.

Utah is hard to watch and very frustrating to try and be a fan of this team. Lack of discipline, not sold on the offense yet although better, they are not using their superior speed to get to the edge, jet sweep, and others. Plays seem to take a long time to develop. Maybe this will improve. Utah has the talent at all positions but.....

And to my liking....BYU us just bad. They are truly very large 24-25-26 year old men in the prime of their athletic life but slow and lack very high athletic capability at almost all positions.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Sept. 10, 2017 10:35 a.m.

Interesting to read the previous comparisons of units between the Utes and Cougars by Sorensen. He needs to avoid any type of speculation and analysis judging by his article. Quarterback edge to BYU would be an example. . .

• SageRider Spanish Fork USA, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 10:13 a.m.

Nice win by the Utes last night. Congrats Utah. I was hoping BYU could pull out a win this year, but I've been saying that for seven years in a row now. Hats off, also, to Ute and Cougar fans who make classy comments about the game, and the opponent. I hope the Cougs can fix what is ailing them right now, and that starts with recruiting. Respect to the Utes, I wish you great success in the Pac-12.

• There You Go Again St George, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 9:59 a.m.

I feel bad for 3 good men.

Kalani, Ty and Tanner.

The BYU schedule is set to win at least their last 7 games.

Losing to UTAH definitely a gut punch.

Go UTES!

• Utahute72 Tooele, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 9:55 a.m.

The thing everybody needs to understand is both teams are putting in new offensive systems. Utah is fortunate to have enough of the tools on hand so they will be competitive later in the year, but right now there are a lot of kinks to work out. BYU is in a more difficult position, they had to start from scratch. Hill gave them some wins last year, but really didn't fit the system they are trying to work toward. Magnum is closer, but is hampered by a lack of talent to support him. The one thing I would be most worried about offensively if I were BYU is that the receivers seemed to run poor routes. The biggest mistake Sitake made was to let Holliday go to Utah and hire Cahoon. While it served the former player mold, Holliday is clearly a better coach. Utah's receiving corps has improved with him up there. It's probably going to be a rough year for both teams, but hopefully they will improve over time.

• Red Corvette St George, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 9:53 a.m.

Sitake sounds like a broken record. He keeps making the same excuses week after week. And Detmer needs to go back to Texas.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 9:52 a.m.

Too many little teams on our practice schedule. Hopefully the unfulfilling win will be enough to maintain the Ute's position in the polls. 1 game left to work out our penalty and red zone woes. Go Utes!

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 9:50 a.m.

I don't think the head coach or the OC the problem.

It comes down to talent.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Sept. 10, 2017 9:42 a.m.

72Coug12- Despite your thoughts, it can ALWAYS get worse. . .

• docdages WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 9:39 a.m.

Congrats to the Utes on winning 7 in a row. As a BYU fan it is hard to see your rivals beat you in every aspect of the game. Thank you for the classy Ute fans for not pouring too much salt on our wounds.

Utah is going to win every year until BYU recruits and plays better. I don't see this happening as long as coach Whitt is in town.

• robin138 springfield, VA
    Sept. 10, 2017 9:39 a.m.

It was apparent we needed a new QB after the first disappointing loss to LSU.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 9:37 a.m.

While I am glad for the win, Coach Witt has got to get the penalties under control. Last year the number of false starts were really concerning. This year, however, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the penalties. Even our quarterback got called for holding (though that may have more to do with playing in Provo). There are few teams in the Pac-12 you can beat with nearly 100 yards in penalties.

As for the doom and gloom BYU fans, if the Cougars who showed up in the 4th quarter come the rest of the year you still have chance at a good season. I was amazed at how much more intensity they played with and how much faster they appeared during the last 15 minutes. It seemed like Mangum plays much better in a hurry-up offense out of the shotgun.

GO UTES! Good luck Cougars.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 10, 2017 9:37 a.m.

@burningblue

"Give credit where credit is due. I think the Utes played a really great game."

You think wrong. Utah played horribly. Zero running game outside the QB, and another game with 11 penalties (Utah now leads college football in total penalties and penalty yards). Stupid, stupid, stupid.

BYU-Provo fans need to come to grips with this one fact: You. Simply. Do. Not. Have. The. Horses. To. Win. This. Race. Anymore!

• boatersteve Fruit Heights, Utah
    Sept. 10, 2017 9:34 a.m.

Sorry but this is n longer a rivalry. It does not appear BYU really has the desire or commitment to play at a high level, time to follow their sister schools and get out of intercollegiate athletics and use the money for other worthwhile purposes. The way Utah played they better enjoy their 2-10 season.

• EightOhOne St. George, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 9:26 a.m.

BYU loses to anyone but Utah, you read comments about how that team should be highly ranked, or has the best *insert whatever position dominated them* in the country

BYU loses to Utah, and its "both teams look terrible" "Utah will be lucky to get win again when Pac-12 play starts"

LOL!! I love it!! Keep reaching for anything to grasp onto, cause 7 straight just happened!! Go U!!

• mdp Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 9:25 a.m.

Not impressed with either team... its going to be a long short season for football in Utah.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 8:59 a.m.

Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
    Why is Mangum still out there? 3 games in a row he has shown that he can not compete. His time is done. Time for him to focus on his studies because there is no future for him in football.
    Hopefully the coaches will look at the data and come to the same conclusion...

• CaptainFD LITTLETON, CO
    Sept. 10, 2017 8:53 a.m.

Utes need to stop getting penalties-that's not going to fly in the PAC12 games. BYU needs to get in a conference or go the way of BYU Idaho and concentrate on education and change their sports to intramural. Change the land the stadium is on into more housing or build more school buildings since tens of thousands more are trying to get into BYU each year than are admitted. More students able to attend BYU and more money for education. Maybe the State of Utah/UVU can buy Lavell Edwards stadium and get in a football conference.

It could be that since football has been increasingly dropping in popularity that the talent pool is also decreasing significantly and BYU isn't represented in a conference. High school football teams are getting smaller (except maybe in Texas). Whereas, Rugby participation has increased ~110% and football has dropped ~50% in participation. People are sick of over aggressive and selfish parents, over practiced kids, massive amounts of sport ending concussions, expensive equipment, favoritism, & spoiled athletes. When you sit for four hours and see 13 minutes of combined action from football it is a hard sell in todays environment of fast entertainment.

• red.diehard Central, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 8:41 a.m.

byu football should be grateful this is a young team, the results would have been similar to 2011. Unfortunately, byu is still on the schedule for the next few years. Maybe after losing for a decade they will finally throw in the towel and we can play somebody else.

End the series.

• soulkracker Kansas City, MO
    Sept. 10, 2017 8:35 a.m.

Seven's a charm.

• top of the world ,
    Sept. 10, 2017 8:34 a.m.

Nice win by the Utes. Hard fought game. The Ute qb is outstanding. Good runner, tough, can throw on the run with precision. I've been saying since last year when the OC was hired that it was the final piece to the puzzle for the Utes. He knows how to put things together. The receivers were open all night when it counted. I doubt the Utes will be able to continue to rely on the qb to have big rushing nights. He is going to get hurt somewhere along the way if he has to run that much.

As to the Cougars. Keep battling. We're a long, long ways from teams like LSU. Not too far from the U. LSU was not a game we could have won. Last night's was. Mangum looked better when he moved around in the pocket at the end of the game. Of course, at that time they dropped an army back to defend the pass. When they needed to get him, they did.

Congrats to the Utes. Seven in a row and counting. May have to get a calculator if it keeps up. If the Y can make a game of it, I don't know what will happen when they travel to USC and Seattle. Seven in a row...that's quite an accomplishment. Hats of to you!

Now a nice quiet, easy game coming up. Wisconsin. Yikes!

• JSKM1232 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 8:21 a.m.

@wer - South Jordan, UT
    But remember you offensive co-ordinator is the man that taught Brett Favre how to play football. Ha Ha Ha!

• Bountiful Guy Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 8:16 a.m.

The Cougars are way over-hyped and under-talented in running backs, receivers, and offensive line. But the one great takeaway I saw from this game was the hard work and determination of Tanner Mangum. I saw a true leader. I visualized a determined sergeant with a bunch of privates trying to teach and lead them to battle. Training and experience was far less than that of the opponent, yet Tanner pulled them along and they matured a lot in this game. I hope that pays dividends down the road. They are not ready for games 2-4 this season, so they will have to wait to put things together starting in game 5.

Congratulations to a superior Ute team. They still need improvement to close out games. They fell off sharply the second half and that may hurt them in tough Pac12 games. They are well-coached, but have far too many senseless penalties. They are their worst opponent.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Sept. 10, 2017 8:02 a.m.

The Truth:

Sitake, your offense moved the ball at the end of the game when the U played prevent D. You can't claim that the offense started to click because it didn't. Just be glad that the U was flagged 11 times otherwise this would have been a lot worse. Your defensive line is terrible, you have no skill players barring your tightened. I think its time to face reality; BYU is a mediocre program. This was your Super Bowl. Your team has nothing to play for every year except this game and 16 out of the last 19 the Y has lost. It's sad to see the team slowly moving into mediocrity at best. But the truth is the truth, recruits, coaching and development are proof of where the program is at.

• Lolly Lehi, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 7:54 a.m.

wer should apply for the job as an assistant coach. I saw improvements which will increase as the season goes on. Sister Fletcher said, "do what is right, fix what it wrong, and move on. That is exactly what both the Utes and the Cougars are doing since I want them both to succeed so we can get the interest of excellent football talent coming to our state.

Incidentally, I am not the football expert that wer is, but I can say with certainty that the hot dogs were excellent yesterday.

• LadyMoon Crestucky, FL
    Sept. 10, 2017 7:37 a.m.

I feel abandoned of all college football hope. My Cougars are directionless, conference-less and now, goalless. Indeed, we are witnessing what will come to be known as, in the annals of Cougar folklore, the "dark days of Cougar football".

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 7:27 a.m.

• Six Corona, CA
    Sept. 10, 2017 7:22 a.m.

I've been following BYU football team since the late 1950s. This is by far the most disappointing team I have ever seen wearing blue and white. Unfortunately, Tanner Mangum is not the man for the position of quarterback. And I'm not sure that coach Detmer can do the job. All together the first two games we're terrible.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Sept. 10, 2017 7:12 a.m.

While the game was enjoyable to watch, the camera work by ESPN was the worst I have seen in the past several years. It was maddening not to see the beginning of the play time after time. It was annoying to see closeup shots of players and not switch to a larger scene until after the play had begun. The talking heads were dreadful - as usual, but that is why you have a mute button. And I thought Tommy Tuberville was a bad coach, wow, what a bust as an announcer.

• BYUKSU Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 10, 2017 6:57 a.m.

Either we just do not have the players to perform at a high level, or the offense is so complicated that no one can understand it. Time to go back to what works.

• Barb Wire USA, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 6:47 a.m.

Losing to the same team seven straight times isn't bad luck but just inferior talent.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 6:20 a.m.

Brutal loss for Cougarland. Seven in a row is tough. Congratulations to the red team.

The defense did their job and played well. When will the offense finally allow Tanner to play his style of game?

• CougarForever Holladay, Utah
    Sept. 10, 2017 5:25 a.m.

Thoughts:

For the most part, BYU's offensive issues during this game were on the players. The play calls seemed reasonable overall but the execution wasn't. This must be frustrating for the offensive coaches.

The breakdowns in pass protection and dropped passes were particularly maddening.

Wisconsin is beatable but I wouldn't bet that way. They played like a top-30 but not a top-15 team earlier today. Maybe the altitude will slow them.

The good news is that our schedule guarantees us at least 6 more wins this year (although I did see that UNLV bounced back today in big way from its embarrassing first game loss).

Utah will beat San Jose State this Saturday but if they have any hope of beating teams in their conference they need to reduce their penalties and find a way to get TDs once they get inside the 15 rather than settling for FGs. This was good for us today but unless Utah addresses these problems it is unlikely that they win more than 1 or 2 games against their PAC-12 brethren.

The Utah LB who targeted Mangum needs to be lectured for hours about how egregious this was. And I thought we would be the team that would have issues with targeting penalties.

• 72coug12 casper, WY
    Sept. 10, 2017 2:48 a.m.

BYU offensive line stunk. They couldn't pick up blitz, they couldn't block for run. QB rating is an abysmal 13.6. Total offense was invisible except for one brief 4th quarter drive. Three interceptions and no touchdowns. TY you need to rethink your offense, and who you are starting. This is pathetic. And Sitake says after the came, "we have some things to fix". You think?! What don't you need to fix coach? Oh, and by the way, you got out coached again.

Utah is a mediocre team, who turned the ball over and had a TD called back on penalty. And in spite of that they pushed the Cougars all over the field.

BYU will get crushed against Wisconsin, lose by 30, lose by 20 at Boise State, get beat at USU and then win out with their cupcake schedule and limp in to the "who cares Bowl" at 7-5.

When they do, remember at the beginning of the season how Sitake touted his offensive line. Remember how TY praised Mangum. Nonsense! We have a bunch of overweight guys that can't run for an offensive line and a guy running scared at QB. Look at the stats. Make changes. It can't get possibly get worse.

• Deanvrtc Vancouver, WA
    Sept. 10, 2017 2:15 a.m.

Detmer needs to go...quit...move on...whatever you call it, retire on his ranch and magnum needs to be in a shotgun hurry up scheme, Mangum is not fast enough to make the reads under center, in the shotgun he does better. KALANI WILL find it hard to release a beloved HT winner but he must,

• West Jordanians of Utah WEST JORDAN, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 2:10 a.m.

Disappointed again tonight. I've never felt so bored during the game watching the Cougars. They just aren't exciting to watch anymore. In the past, the last minute drives were what I looked forward to because BYU were amazing, but on that last drive, there were two dropped passes that would moved the sticks. That hurt! Mangum still has a problem of throwing right to the arms of the defensive lineman, with one of the deflections were intercepted. You would think he'd fix the problem. These types of things hurt the flow of the offense. I'm still perturbed watching our linemen chop blocking, especially when all 5 fall down going for the knees of the D-Line. Can't they stay on their feet and block like normal? Holding penalties never bothered the Cougar teams of the past, but it was a punch in the mouth tonight because the offense isn't working. And when the crowd is quiet, there goes home field advantage. Still hoping for a successful season though because I love my Cougs!

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Sept. 10, 2017 1:53 a.m.

As much as I hate to acknowledge anything suggested by Utah fans, maybe it ~is~ time for BYU to adopt the entire WCC philosophy and drop football. When the Y can't compete even with a penalty-prone U team that can't get out of its own way in the field, with whom is it ~going~ to compete? The reason for the Y's stagnation seems clear: you can't get a whole football team of star-level athletes to buy into the Honor Code, and it isn't getting any easier over time.

• rogerdpack Orem, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 1:43 a.m.

Respect to the Utes, they deserved it again this year.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Sept. 10, 2017 1:33 a.m.

Well fought game - awesome job Utah.

Painful to see us drop another one, but that was a good game, BYU started finding it's mojo at the end, unfortunately I think that next week is another loss, but that was cool seeing BYU start to move the ball again.

Huntley is a great QB - but man oh man, do you want your QB running like that? Anyway, can't believe I'm saying this but he was the best QB on the field.

1-2, the way we played the first half I was questioning if BYU would be bowl eligible, might get a pretty good thing going this year after-all.

At least i went into this counting on a loss - but loved to see it go down to the wire, didn't see that coming the way it started.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 1:21 a.m.

re;wer
    Poorly coached or just bad players? I think the coaching is fine but the player talent has declined at byu every year as an independent. Detmer cant coach talent...he can only use what he has which isnt much. Sitaki is as good a head coach as byu could hope to get. As part of the pac12 the U just has better athletes top to bottom.

• tabuno Clearfield, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 1:15 a.m.

The score makes it seem that the game was closer than I would have expected. One team didn't play was well or the other team a heck of a lot better than expected. But the end result will reflect well on U of U in the weeks to come.

• Oh Really? HERRIMAN, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 1:11 a.m.

Mangum looks anything but confident and calm.

• East Coast Rules Mickleton, NJ
    Sept. 10, 2017 1:05 a.m.

Tanner Mangum is not the answer. He is inconsistent and not a leader. Two of BYU's worst games ever on offense came with Mangum at quarterback, last week against LSU and two years ago against Michigan. The problem is I don't think Coack Sitaki has the guts to bench Mangum and give someone else an opportunity.

• Lifelong Republican Orem, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 1:03 a.m.

Going to be a long year for both teams. Utah is going to be in a world of hurt once the Pac 12 starts and Wisconsin is coming to Provo.

Neither team looked good tonight.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 1:01 a.m.

BYU struggled to win against Portland, they couldn't get past the 50 yard line against LSU (and ended up with a big fat goose egg), and now lost for a humiliatingly eighth time against Utah. I was so high on Mangum and the coaching staff. Is Detmer trying to do too much? Are there too many assistant offensive coaches who are not on the same page? Does the offense lack heart? What is with so many interceptions? Can't the receivers run better routes? Far too many questions, and far too poor in offensive execution. I think I am done watching for this year. Just too painful!

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:56 a.m.

Better team won again tonight and shouldn't have been that close. Stay tuned for 8 in a row next year.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:45 a.m.

Kind of let down that Utah didn't win by more. Utah had twice as many yards as BYU, but the Utes poor red zone and penalty problems kept it close.

Glad they got the win, but it was ugly and the Utes should have played better.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:44 a.m.

That's a game I'd like to forget. I can't imagine what Cougar fans feel like.

Ugly game, but a win is a win. Some major drive killing penalties drove me crazy! Weird call going for it on 4th down.

Credit to BYU's defense, they played great when they clamped down in the red zone. But Tyler Huntley is the real deal. He outperformed BYU's offense and buried Tanner Mangum in every stat. Clean up the penalties and Utah takes off as a program.

Go Utes! 7 in a row Cougar fans! This is why Utah fans laugh at the preseason "new sheriff in town" garbage Cougar fans post!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:41 a.m.

Utah was sloppy, penalties and play calling. This game should never been close.

We will take a beating in the PAC-12 if we Play like this.

• Boyd in Provo , 00
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:39 a.m.

It may have taken three games this season for Tanner Mangum to finally "get it" as far as intensity of play is concerned but the second half of tonight's game he started putting some zip on his passes and getting the ball away a little quicker. I believe he still has the skills for this team to win if he will get his head in the game. I watched quarterbacks all over the country today who run their offenses the way they are intended and Tanner can play with any of them when he steps it up a notch. The Utes played very well as a team and deserved the win. Congratulations to them for another victory.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:38 a.m.

Utes need to strengthen their out of conference schedule if they truly want to win a conference championship and be on a national stage. Playing BYU every year is like chasing ghosts.

• BleedingBlue Provo, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:36 a.m.

The BYU offense would have struggled tonight to punch their way out of a wet paper sack. Speaking of paper sacks, time to start cutting out eyes, nose, and ear holes and start wearing the paper sacks to the game, the badgger mauling is only one week away. Face it, our QB performance has been pathetic! Magnum was a 12th player for the Ute team. He deserves the Utah game ball. Come on coach, give someone else a chance, you certainly have NOTHING to loose. I know we fans are only dreaming, coaches won't give another player a chance until we are 1 - 6. Sad, sick, and depressing.

• Ed McConkie, Sr. Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:30 a.m.

Seven in a row! PAC 12 speed and athleticism too much for the Cougs. Young Ute team will have to remedy mistakes when a brutal schedule starts in conference. Fun QB to watch, though. Utes were in a higher gear all game.

• burningblue Provo, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:24 a.m.

I'm not going to get upset and talk about how awful Kalani, Detmer and the bunch are. They have young receivers, that's no excuse, but it is a reality. I'm not really a fan of Ben Cahoon as a coach, but that's not going to help anything either.

Give credit where credit is due. I think the Utes played a really great game. The Y was never really in it, even if they did have a chance to drive down the field and win it at the end. Mangum looked good at the end of the game, especially on that last drive where he put the ball where it should be, but the receivers just couldn't catch a dang thing.

*sigh*

The Utes have a good team. I enjoyed the debates in the days building up with all of the Ute fans on these DNews articles. Your team played a great game. Good luck for the rest of the season.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:22 a.m.

wer,

The team reflects the head coach, no excuses.

• UU Provo, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:22 a.m.

Glad Trinneman picked BYU over Utah. Dude can't get open and would be burried at the bottom of our depth chart.

• CV Storm Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:21 a.m.

Unbelievably poorly played game by both teams. Utes couldn't get out of their own way and gave the Cougs a chance to win at the end of the game. Neither team or their fans should brag about this game. Unless things improve both teams will have a tough time reaching a .500 season. Cougs really need to consider another quarterback.

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:19 a.m.

That game was a TOTAL stinkfest. Utah's offense concentrated on shooting itself in the foot while BYU's offense did everything possible to avoid scoring. Even after BYU got the ball back in the end, l never once thought that the Utes were in any trouble. Pee yew!

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:17 a.m.

The fact that BYU stayed in this game can only be explained by the fact that this is a rivalry game. Utah had multiple chances to blow that thing open but anything is possible in this game.

Very ugly game but a win is a win! Need to clean up those penalties ASAP.

7 in a row! Go Utes!

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:11 a.m.

Attention local media...stop overhyping byu every off season! This year was WAY worse than usual. The fans buy into it too easily, and all we heard was, "the pendulum has shifted", "there's a new sheriff in town", "be afraid, very afraid". Was that the "Kalani effect" we saw tonight? I'm sure glad all of Utah's dumb penalties kept the cougs close. I sure am loving what I'm seeing in all of the young players, especially Huntley. Go Utes!!!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:07 a.m.

Detmer cant create talent...he can only coach what he has which isnt much. Nick Saban couldnt eek anymore out of this sorry bunch....nice young men but poor athletes. Bronco was right....being independent is not sustainable. Im afraid the talent pool is empty.

• PacUtes Orange County, CA
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:06 a.m.

7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12...and so on.
    Go Utes!

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:05 a.m.

Congratulations Utes! You are a far superior and better coached team with better players and fans. We BYU fans can now drop the illusion that our football program is even close to being a P-5 program or joining a P-5 conference. If the Mountain West Conference would have BYU (which isn't a given), that would be the direction I would like to see BYU go now. If that isn't an option, dropping sports would make a lot of sense too.

Wishing the Utes a successful season in the PAC-12. You will want to get those bad snaps fixed, other than that you looked pretty darn good for a young team. Keep up the good work Utah!

Sept. 10, 2017 12:04 a.m.

Both teams looked like they were in pre-season/scrimmages. Utah should have been up by 3 TD's. Kept killing themselves with penalties. Whittingham made a huge mistake not taking the 4th qtr. field goal. Almost cost him the game. Mangum doesn't need to start next week. Nor the next.....

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:04 a.m.

Utah tried to give that one away and couldn't. That baby should have been 35-13.

BYU ought to just give up trying to beat Utah. The Utes can gift wrap a game and still beat BYU.

• UU Provo, UT
    Sept. 10, 2017 12:03 a.m.

The Max Hall curse continues. Thank you big Max.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 9, 2017 11:59 p.m.

Lucky #7, baby!

Go UTES!!!

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 9, 2017 10:27 p.m.

Eight straight quarters without a TD. In spite of all the hype, the Cougs have kickers who can't kick-two missed makable field goals this year and a punter who is averaging about 40 yards in the first half on low, line drive kicks right at the returner. Receivers who are thrown passes that are inconsistent. (Was the first completion to a red jersey?) Play calling that is apparently so difficult for the players to comprehend they have trouble executing. How many sacks did Utah have where the defender went in untouched?

Clearly, this is a poorly coached team. Probably, the head coach is far and away better than everyone else on the staff, and, in fact, he may be better than the rest of them combined.