New Harmony: A 40-year trek from Marxist to Mormon author

• Elizabetha Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 8, 2017 6:51 p.m.

Beautiful article of a courageous man. His story is inspiring and moving. Thank you for writing about him and his book that I would love to read.

• Light and Liberty St George, UT
    Dec. 8, 2017 9:09 a.m.

Marxism: 200 million murdered, along with the loss of freedom, choice, and liberty! There are few survivors in this mindset. Religion: 2.5 billion that believe in freedom, choice, and liberty. There are some that espouse Christian virtues, but really prefer Marxism in reality, if they could do away with freedom, choice, and liberty. They die off eventually, but are still protected by freedom, choice, and liberty. JSF is right. In the worst case scenario, valuing reason & evidence (Marxism) over faith & ideology (religions) is not a very high bar to defend.

• Tyler D Prescott, AZ
    Dec. 6, 2017 2:12 p.m.

@jsf – “questioned by an anti-evidence-free ideology advocate.”

You know in retrospect I feel a bit like a jerk for posting that first comment. Or more precisely, I didn’t mean anything personal towards Mr. Rodriguez. If religions makes him a better person, more power to him (keeping in mind that religion often makes people worse).

I am curious though – what is an “anti-evidence-free ideology advocate?”

If I’m figuring the signs correctly (e.g., a negative times a negative equals a positive) would that make me a person who values reason & evidence over faith & ideology?

I cop to that…

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 12:40 p.m.

"Trading one evidence-free ideology for another evidence-free ideology?", questioned by an anti-evidence-free ideology advocate.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 12:38 p.m.

"he’d been recruited and groomed by a Marxist revolutionary group. He wanted out.
    ...The Marxists, not so thrilled. They made his life unlivable, to the point of threatening to kill him."

Marxist never lead to peace.

• Tyler D Prescott, AZ
    Dec. 6, 2017 9:59 a.m.

Trading one evidence-free ideology for another evidence-free ideology?

Sorry, but I fail to see the journey (40 year trek).