Natalie Gochnour: Correcting the record: Finding the right balance with public lands

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Dec. 7, 2017 8:44 p.m.

@NeilT.
    I won’t debate you. In today’s hyper-partisan environment, that usually goes nowhere.

But, I will say that Obama’s real enemies targeted him because of race. Trump’s most dangerous enemies believe that Trump disappearing would be good for the country as a whole. In other words, a patriotic thing. To me, that is a whole level higher than traditional racial animus.

• NeilT Ogden, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 6:54 p.m.

Vermonter. Trump the most vilified President in history. Not even close. The honor goes to President Obama by a landslide. Trump is being treated with kids gloves compared to the vitriol and disrespect the far right dished out to Obama.

• jeclar2006 Oceanside, CA
    Dec. 7, 2017 2:08 p.m.

@Elwood P Suggins -- "Too bad the same Utahans that were so outraged by Trump's naughty talk on tape with Billy Bush didn't have the desire or tenacity to uncover the immoral and illegal activities of the democratic party candidate."

Over the last nearly 30 years of national political reportage, hardly a week or month that has gone by with no mention of some investigation of Clinton, either past investigation, or a current one.

Had the news media given the same attention to Trump as has been directed to 'the democratic party candidate', perhaps a different President would be under discussion, if it had been a Republican.

As it is Trump was given pretty much a free pass by all the press on many issues that have now, much too late, become headline news, ranging from his real attitude towards women, his business connections with Russia, to his attitudes on race relations and his softness on those who express extreme views on such.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 2:03 p.m.

You sound like the kid who didn't get invited to the birthday party Natalie.

Get over it. They don't have to invite you if they don't want to.

I didn't get invited either BTW if that makes you feel any better.

I don't know what the selection criteria was. But I also don't care. Why would anybody want to be there? You could watch it all on TV!

The real excitement was outside anyway. Inside was boring.

• Anti-Trump Everett, WA
    Dec. 7, 2017 1:43 p.m.

Why do you think Trump only holds - Nuremberg type "rallies" - and people my sign up for tickets --- yep, screen tests for loyalists....

Wouldn't want to go to a U2 or Beatles concert, unless you are a 'true' fan...you might spoil the show....

• Elwood P. Suggins BEAVERTON, OR
    Dec. 7, 2017 12:48 p.m.

The reason so many people were excluded is clear. Utahans, in general, are very upset by confirmed outrageous immoral activities. I think that's a good thing.

Too bad the same Utahans that were so outraged by Trump's naughty talk on tape with Billy Bush didn't have the desire or tenacity to uncover the immoral and illegal activities of the democratic party candidate. Evidence of this wrong doing is numerous, but it is not broadcast or widely shared because of the complicity of the media and the payoffs/threats of this crime syndicate. If these wrong doings were publicized (if the media were to do its job objectively), then many Utahans wouldn't have been so upset by Trump's behavior, because the democratic alternative was exponentially worse.

I don't approve of Trump's immoral speech or behavior. I don't like the way he campaigned--except that he won! He is a flawed man, but his policies are right on target with my own views, and--darn it--he gets things done. He was/is the best alternative. I also believe the immoral behavior of alternative "public servants" is (for most of us), carefully veiled and unimaginably evil. When "best" is not available, I choose "better".

• jeclar2006 Oceanside, CA
    Dec. 7, 2017 12:20 p.m.

Of course those who are feeling the 'burn' from Trump and Co.'s war on America should speak out.

But don't expect any new developments in the GOP. The locker room talk of Trump should have given all women voter's pause. Yet, there was little change in voting patterns either in the 2016 elections, or the recent ones. There were a few changes, but in areas the that may have had significant Democrat dissatisfaction in 2016, but now have realized that their votes may have allowed an even greater evil to enter the political arena.

In Utah, where at every turn, LDS political figures are giving themselves self congratulations for their moral fiber, have only minimally confronted Trump on such issues, and despite 20 or so percent voting for another candidate, have fallen in line with Trump via their representatives. The recent special election demonstrated there is no real change to be expected any time soon.

Utah Republicans will voice a few objections, but they will continue their tacit support of Trump and Co, no matter the number of failures on the moral front that may be revealed.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 12:09 p.m.

@worf "He's [Trump]done more for nation in eight months than the previous eight years."

I am not a Democrat, but I get sick and tired of guys like you not appreciating Barack Obama. Obama did enough of the right things in the opening years of the Great Recession (2009-2010) to rescue the American economy. But to appreciate this one must know some economics or contemporary history. Obama is not my cup of tea, but he is a darned good and accomplished man, and we all owe him a lot.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Dec. 7, 2017 11:23 a.m.

trump, trump, trump

His supporters act as if he is a second coming. he has begun to erase the horrors (!!!) of the Obama administration, and is reaching back even further. he has mystically solved all our economic crises, made America great again, passed great laws and appointed great judges all in a short span of 10 months or so. Wow! And I always thought it took a couple of years for economic policy changes to take full effect. And how many laws have been passed anyway?

those pesky details of his moral bankruptcy regarding women and the unfolding drama of his Russian connections are declared fake news. in fact, almost any criticism is greeted with incredulity and false equivalencies by his supporters.

Maybe the GOP should just declare him King, and be done with it.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Dec. 7, 2017 11:06 a.m.

@Utefan60,

Trump did not create a national debt equal to eight hundred thousand dollars for every second of a year, nor a high welfare state and high unemployment.

He hasn't sent billions of dollars to terrorist groups or handed out nuclear technology.

He hasn't taken millions of acres from states and put it under federal control or taken more money from hard working Americans for worthless programs.

He's done more for nation in eight months than the previous eight years.

Please! State a factual complaint rather than unexplained insults.

Dec. 7, 2017 10:21 a.m.

Every president screens attendees at events like this. No doubt Natalie has attended events in the past where staunch Republicans were denied presidential clearance because they were too conservative. Where were her columns when someone else was denied a seat for their political views? Is it only when the shoe is on the other foot, when it affects us personally, that we speak up?

Donald Trump won despite his personality flaws for a couple of reasons:

1-His opponent was far worse in many personal and policy ways than he was.

2-A lot of voters are tired of the establishment politicians--on both sides--who beg us for our votes and then ignore us once safely elected. To borrow a refrain from gun owners, Politicians are happy to accept a ride to the ball in our pickup trucks, but then want us to park out of sight once we get them.

I'd love to have any professed republicans tell me which of Trump's policies they find so offensive. We all know about the 10 year old audio tape, and the allegations from women who make their living showing off their attractive bodies. Tweets are not policies.

What are policy problems? Gorsuch? Jerusalem? Immigration enforcement? Tax reform?

• BaldThinket Provo, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 10:03 a.m.

Very self-serving whine. You know why you were denied. Pres. Trump is not a politician. He ruffles the feathers of you political types. I didn’t want to vote for him, but there were no GOOD options at the time of the election (and don’t give me that 3rd Party/Write-in nonsense...I wanted my vote to count!). Despite Pres. Trump’s human frailties and weaknesses, I’m very pleased with the direction the country is going under his direction. He’s not my kind of guy. He’s coarse and crass and obnoxious. Just what we need at this time in history. We’ve had enough Bushes and Clintons and Obamas who were weak, ineffectual, and took America in the wrong direction. Quit your bellyaching.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 9:42 a.m.

What in Tucket says (and amazingly with a straight face):
    "Trump a disaster? IN what way. The economy is soaring and we don't have tax cuts and why is that?"

What exactly do you think trump has done to make this economy soar?

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 9:40 a.m.

In speaking out you lose your place in the Republican hierarchy. This takes courage, but you may pay a price, in which case you join the Utah masses with no political power. But looking at the good side, you'll have lots of company.

• KDave Moab, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 9:37 a.m.

At least Trump came to Utah to make the Monument proclamation. That makes him 10 feet taller than Clinton and Obama combined.

• conservativeme West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 9:25 a.m.

Since you dislike President Trump so much, why did you want to go see him? It seems like there were plenty of people there who wanted to see him because they support him and what he was doing. That makes me wonder why you even wanted to go.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Dec. 7, 2017 8:42 a.m.

@Jim and Don

I prefer "just go away, Natalie".

😁

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 8:28 a.m.

I didn't realise there were ideological tests for these things. It seems rather un American to me.

• jameshrust Atlanta, GA
    Dec. 7, 2017 8:19 a.m.

Trump says many things that would have made my smart parents to roll over in their graves. His actions are the issues of importance. No other president would have come to overturn this massive land grab initiated by President Obama at the end of his term to deny fossil fuel development in Utah. The Democrats and some foolish Republicans have drunk "The Green Kool Aid" and believe carbon dioxide from burning coal, oil, and natural gas will cause catastrophic global warming. Ask Mitt Romney where he stands on this issue. Would he endorse letting Utah control its land?

Trump is sitting the U. S. on a course to great prosperity by have the U. S. have energy independence by using and exporting our great abundance of coal, oil, and natural gas. Salt Lake City has set themselves on the Democrat (socialist) agenda of using only clean energy of solar and wind that will cost them higher utility bills and property taxes.

James H. Rust, professor of nuclear engineering (ret. Georgia Tech)

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 7:56 a.m.

Utah Trump supporters reject anti-Trump opinions...

... but go silent as Trump soulmate Bannon trashes a fellow Mormon, and the missionary service of Mormons.

Slashing the monuments wasn't going to be pain free, folks.

Accept the price. You bought it.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 7:48 a.m.

Well said Ms. Gochnour. Unfortunately, our entire body politic seems to have gone astray from objective measures of service and goodness and now exists primarily for it's own benefit. Senator Hatch has become a big fan of President Trump for who knows what reasons? While it appears that President Trump is prone to move actions forward - the question is are they the right actions for the right reasons?

I can find plenty of fault with President Trump's approach to a lot of things, but he fits right in with the rest of our broken political system that appears to be corrupt on most fronts. When the choice came down to Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton, we knew we were in trouble. I voted for Trump because I believed he was the lesser of the two flawed candidates. So far, I think I was right but I also had hoped for better. I pray that somehow our entire political system can right itself and seek to serve and do good for our country and not just for itself!

• thebig1 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 7:47 a.m.

I think this woman just set the record for I's in an article. It's all about her whoever she is.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Dec. 7, 2017 7:38 a.m.

Nice try, Natalie. You got denied a clearance and were not told why. You don't know why and pin it on politics. Since you are anti-Trump, your convenient assumption creates a nice topic for your opinion piece.

Has it ever occurred to you that we all know Trump is the most vilified president of all time, and likely the most threatened? Agree with him or not, like him or not, its hard not to say that the criticism and rhetoric against him is well beyond anything we have seen in our lifetimes. And close to half of America gleefully participates and applauds the caustic criticism and epithets, and even physical threats of violence thrown at Trump on a daily--no, on an hourly and minute-by-minute basis via the internet.

Given the hyper-partisanship in America today and the pride the Secret Service takes in their most important job, would it really surprise anyone that the Secret Service might, out of an abundance of caution, deny a clearance to someone who really would not hurt a flea?

So, blame it on politics if you want, Natalie. But, you simply don't know why you were denied.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 7:32 a.m.

There will be a time when the Utah GOP delegation that did slobber all over Trump will wish they had gone to a restaurant Monday morning.

• What in Tucket Provo, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 7:02 a.m.

Trump a disaster? IN what way. The economy is soaring and we don't have tax cuts and why is that? Because he removed restraints on the economy put in by socialist leaning people who want to reduce freedom. Central planning is always a failure.
    Who would I want protecting me? Someone who likes me.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 6:54 a.m.

An old song Cry me a River!

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 6:32 a.m.

I watched that dog and pony show at the Capital Rotunda. I had an eerie feeling that it was staged and filled with actors told to play a part. Mike Lee was even uncomfortable.

The vision of what Trump and the GOP has done to this country is sickening. He may be the fulfillment of early Church prophesies by some Church Leaders that some day the "Constitution will hang by a thread."

Maybe the predictions are going to be true? But maybe not by outside forces, but by those who refuse to stand for moral values and honesty in their leaders.

Get educated and vote!

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 6:20 a.m.

Well written and on point.

It was shocking to me this last presidential election that Mrs. Clinton and President Trump came through their respective primaries. Mrs. Clinton arrived there by cheating and President Trump, I am not really sure why?

With the second term election of Prior President Obama, I have come to realize presidential politics often run on inertia instead of rational thought and common sense. One party winning over another is more important than putting a good person in office.

At the end of the day, I voted my conscience... the rest of you, not so much.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Dec. 7, 2017 5:59 a.m.

Oh, my. So glad to see there are folks who seem to think the "moral high ground" is reserved only for themselves and others who think as they do.

"The evil that men do lives after them. The good is often interred with their bones".

😁

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    Dec. 7, 2017 5:22 a.m.

"The question isn’t why wasn’t I cleared. The question is why were so many?"

Thank you, Ms. Gochnour. I'm heartened by the increasing number of conservatives voicing such thoughts. May liberals be wise enough to join forces with them and excise this cancer represented by the likes of Trump, Bannon, and Moore.

• BBKing Springville, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 5:22 a.m.

Ma'am, very noble, self-serving, whine. You've also been part of GOP teams that have mocked, refused to invite staunch conservatives over the years. You're being pretty hypocritical.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:39 p.m.

Some Republicans can't quit resenting Trump for defeating an army of establishment Republicans in the Primaries. Some can't get over his style. Some are avowed Never-Trumpers. Yet most Republicans can't find much fault in Trump's agenda and accomplishment, e.g. Gorsuch nomination and confirmation. What he has accomplished and what he hopes to accomplish has my approval and support. I am sickened by Jeff Flake's and Mitt Romney's wounded egos and their betrayal of long-standing moral and Republican principles. Endorsing a liberal abortion-on-demand supporter over a conservative defender of religious liberty seems odd for a Mormon politician.

• JimDabakis slc, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:03 p.m.

This is one Democrat who finds the straight-shooting Republican Natalie Gochnour a breath of desperatly needed fresh air. Go Natalie.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:47 p.m.

No. If its republican, you're all in. No speaking out.

• DonO Draper, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 9:38 p.m.

You go, Natalie! I wouldn’t walk across the street to see Donald Trump but if I had asked for clearance they would have turned me down, too. Let’s just keep doing what we’re doing, calling him out.

• rocklaw Holladay, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 9:26 p.m.

Yep terrible. Being screened out would be the only acceptable result.

Dec. 6, 2017 8:25 p.m.

"Despite the fanfare witnessed by those who attended Trump€™s visit, there was also a sense of palpable uneasiness among Republicans. "

Yeah, the one's that still have a conscience. Everyone can see what a disaster Trump and his "team" have become. Yet a lot of Utah politicians still blindly support him. That's about as un-American as it gets.