Defending the Faith: His work and his glory

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    Jan. 18, 2018 1:08 p.m.

@ skeptic - Phoenix, AZ - Jan. 11, 2018 9:50 a.m. - "Mormon theology has many amazing insights and concepts of religion to contemplate and consider as to man's purpose. It is too bad that it is clouded with so much of man's fiction and deception so as to cast suspicion on its realities and possibilities."

Overcome your suspicion. Humble yourself and ask God, in faith, just like James said.

I did.

And now I know.

Good luck.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 9:19 a.m.

RE: Twin Lights: "My point was (and is) if God created man to give himself glory (that is, man was created for the benefit of God), then he is not much of a God."

Martin Luther’ has some words for you. “if I am ignorant of the works and powers of God, I am ignorant of God himself; and if I do not know God, I cannot *worship, praise, give thanks or serve Him, for I do not know how much I should attribute to myself and how much to Him. We need, therefore, to have in mind a clear-cut distinction between God's power and ours, and God's work and ours .”

Christians *worship God (not man) “in spirit and in truth” (John 4:23-24). We must be born again= (G.anothen/from above).
    Without the Holy Spirit we cannot respond to God in *worship because we do not know Him.“
    No one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God” (1Cor 2:11b). The Holy Spirit is the one who energizes worship because He is in essence glorifying Himself, and all true worship glorifies God, not man. But," the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.(Heb 4:12)

• Michael_M Scottsbluff, NE
    Jan. 11, 2018 6:30 p.m.

@Thid Barker
    Your welcome, laughter is good. Have a nice day.

• Red Corvette St George, UT
    Jan. 11, 2018 5:58 p.m.

Total nonsense

• CMTM , 00
    Jan. 11, 2018 3:11 p.m.

RE: Thid Barker . Thus policies change with the times.?

Did these change ?
    That seer… his name shall be called Joseph and it shall be after the name of his father”. ( Genesis 50:33 JST),JS adds prophecy about himself to his Inspired Version. But NOT found in Greek Septuagint(Apostles Bible) or dead sea scrolls..

@ Abraham 3:26 “kept not their *first estate= (Jude 1: 6 KJV,JST) JS misunderstood the KJV translation.

Context, E.g…, “….the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority,..(Jude 1: 6 NIV)or,… the angels who did not stay within the limits of authority…( Jude 1:6 NLT)

Context,”… angels when they sinned, but sent them to (*tartarÓ hell…”)) 2 Peter 2:4) actually Fallen angels(demons) Not pre mortality.. (*tartarÓ 5020) punishment fit for demons.

JS’s doctrine of the pre-existence of the soul, came the idea of some spirits being more noble than others. "the noble and great ones" ( Abraham 3:22). The Mormon leaders taught that the "more noble" or choice spirits are born as Mormons. But some(Moses 7:8) were considered to have been more unfaithful in the pre-existence than any of the spirits who were allowed to take bodies.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Jan. 11, 2018 3:04 p.m.

Twin Lights: My apologies and excellent point!

Michael_M: Very funny! Had a good laugh, thank you!

• Michael_M Scottsbluff, NE
    Jan. 11, 2018 2:19 p.m.

@Thid Barker
    And alligators are so angry because they got all them teeth but no toothbrush.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Jan. 11, 2018 2:12 p.m.

CMTM; Because there was a time when only members of the Israelite tribe of Levi held the priesthood, as per the law of Moses, a Levite himself! Thus policies change with the times (blacks holding the priesthood) but doctrines (faith, repentance, baptism, et al) are eternal and never change! Besides, I think black skin is beautiful and when ever I see a black brother or sister in church, I rejoice! The Lord's church needs them!

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Jan. 11, 2018 2:11 p.m.

Thid Barker,

I think you misunderstand me. I was commenting in response to CMTM or Sharrona. My point was (and is) if God created man to give himself glory (that is, man was created for the benefit of God), then he is not much of a God. If instead God's purpose in creating man was to bring to pass man's immortality and eternal life (God here creating being focused on the benefit of man) then that is quite a different matter.

• CMTM , 00
    Jan. 11, 2018 2:00 p.m.

RE: Twin Lights. God created man and that He created him for His glory (Isaiah 43:7).

Therefore, the ultimate purpose of man, according to the Bible, is simply to glorify God.
    So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the Glory of God. (1 Cor 10:31).

(Gen 1:26 LXX) Verse let *US” …*OUR ’image’. 27 God made man, according to the image ’of God’**=( Theou,,not gods. Who being the brightness of his Glory The trinity in the O.T.

1391 G. ("glory") = OT word, kabo (OT 3519). Both convey God's infinite, intrinsic worth (substance, essence).

RE: Thid Barker; The book of ,Moses 7:8 "a blackness came upon all the children of Canaan. . . ."Moses 7:22 ".for the seed of Cain were black and had not place among them."

Since the Mormon God has removed the curse that was once on the black race, why has he not also removed the mark? If the sole purpose of the black skin was merely to identify those who should not receive priesthood blessings, and that no longer applies, why are people still being born with this mark?

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Jan. 11, 2018 1:43 p.m.

Twin Lights: God a "narcissist" for wanting the best for his children? Really? I think being an "accident" makes all life (including our own) pointless! I choose God's plan!

Michael_M: Platypuses were created to give variety and beauty to the earth, same as ostriches, alligators and giraffes! Besides, I bet they think humans look weird!

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Jan. 11, 2018 12:42 p.m.

CMTM,

There are two problems with God's purpose in creating man being to create something that would give him glory. First, it would make God a massive narcissist - hardly omni-benevolent. Second, man is a poor instrument to that task. He could do better.

• Michael_M Scottsbluff, NE
    Jan. 11, 2018 12:38 p.m.

Still doesn't explain the platypus.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Jan. 11, 2018 10:35 a.m.

skeptic,
    "Mormon theology has many amazing insights and concepts of religion to contemplate and consider as to man's purpose."
    ____________________
    Mormonism continues a tradition repeated for thousands of years with every rise of a new religion. It builds on what preceded it, modifies, and expands to speak to new generations and a changing world. It’s somewhat evocative of Jesus’ cautionary parable about not putting new wine into old wineskins causing them to burst.

• CMTM , 00
    Jan. 11, 2018 10:17 a.m.

RE: Central Texan, The Pearl of Great Price in comparison to the Bible: The first 6 chapters of Genesis(JST)or The Book of Moses contains 311 verses, While the Septuagint and Masoretic texts contain 184 verses. JST adds “ 127” verses which are not supported by the Septuagint and Masoretic texts or Dead Sea Scrolls.

But over 123 N.T.& O.T quotes support the existing O.T. E.g…,

The Westminster Shorter Catechism Question. 1. Man's chief end is to glorify God. (Rom. 11:36). “ For everything comes from him and exists by his power and is intended for his glory. All glory to him forever! Amen.

(Ps. 73:25-28.) “Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever. Those who desert him will perish, for you destroy those who abandon you. But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do.” Vs,

Moses 1:39 For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. ,

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 11, 2018 9:50 a.m.

Mormon theology has many amazing insights and concepts of religion to contemplate and consider as to man's purpose. It is too bad that it is clouded with so much of man's fiction and deception so as to cast suspicion on its realities and possibilities. When one is lectured that the BOM is a true history of a great Hebrew nation here on the American continent for over a thousand years as recent as two thousand years ago and some of today's American Indians are of Hebrew decent. While all this is known and proven not to be true: then what is one to believe. The church really needs to set the record straight in order to provide better understanding of Mormonism and religion in general.

• Central Texan Buda, TX
    Jan. 11, 2018 8:54 a.m.

The verse in Moses 1:39 is quite a contrast with what is heard from other Christians.

When asked about why God has bothered to create man, we hear "For his own pleasure," "To show forth his power," "to create people to worship him or attend him" and things like that.

Although from our standpoint it is all about God, Jesus, and the Spirit, Moses 1:39 shows that from His standpoint, it's all about us.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Jan. 11, 2018 7:46 a.m.

Profound article Dr. Peterson! Thank you!