A true believer: Remembering the faith and works of Jon Huntsman Sr.

Feb. 12, 2018 7:43 p.m.

@Gildas: "when you give you are supposed not to let your left hand know what your right hands does."

We have also been commanded to let our light shine to show forth good works that others may aee them and praise God. Or, perhaps, just to set a good example.

The question is how to reconcile these two seemingly contradictory commandments.

I think the key is the motivation behind why we do what we do. Do we seek the praise and glory of men? Or do we seek God's glory?

This, I must judge for myself of myself. Since I cannot look on another man's heart, I cannot fairly judge his motivation. So I should be very careful to presume to condemn.

However, Huntsman Sr. has done enough charity work quietly and anonymously that I think there is evidence he did what he did (whether in public or in secret) to help others, not to get any praise for himself.

He has been an example that a rich man can truly use his wealth for much good.

And for the record, I disagree with plenty of his political views. But I've seen nothing to credible impugn his character or his charitable works. He was a man of integrity.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Feb. 12, 2018 6:29 p.m.

Maybe there is something I am missing and I do not want to be unfair or unkind, but when you give you are supposed not to let your left hand know what your right hands does. How can that be the case when your name is plastered all over a center for cancer research?

I am willing to be wrong about this but it certainly doesn't seem right.

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Feb. 10, 2018 4:39 p.m.

Huntsman's faith and works include his willingness to take a stand in favor of medical marijuana and his purchase of the Salt Lake Tribune so that Utah would continue to have a much-needed independent voice. Well done, Mr. Huntsman.

I also like the fact that he said paying tithing shouldn't count as charitable giving because it is akin to paying membership dues in order to be in good standing in an organization.

• Marigold Provo, UT
    Feb. 9, 2018 10:39 a.m.

I've had an earthly Dad just as good as Jon Huntsman--not as wealthy--but, just as good. Our Heavenly Father's Plan of Happiness is a wonderful plan and when our turn comes to leave this earth we leave behind our physical pain. Condolences to the Huntsman family and thank you for sharing your Dad and his story with us...

• Angelsings Glendale, AZ
    Feb. 8, 2018 6:42 p.m.

And, just when we were thinking there weren't any good men in the world . . .
    " Do not go gentle into that good night". Welsh poet Dylan Thomas

• Mack2828 Ft Thomas, KY
    Feb. 8, 2018 5:49 p.m.

The LDS Church and it's newspaper sure are into hero's and celebrity. Not saying their is anything wrong with it.

This Huntsman article is just yet another in what seems like a long river of articles about Mormon men and how great they are. It's frankly a very interesting aspect of LDS culture.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Feb. 8, 2018 5:06 p.m.

He and taxpayers fund much of the cancer research going on at the U of U. Thanks to him and thanks to all of us.

• Jeremiah Flanksteak Sandy, UT
    Feb. 8, 2018 4:59 p.m.

The greatest of the greatest among mortal men, his life is an inspiration and his presence will be missed. I was fortunate to meet and interview him last fall regarding HCI Ph. IV and will always remember his class and graciousness. God Speed Sir!

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 8, 2018 9:03 a.m.

Well done Brother Huntsman, well done and God's speed...

• Boyd in Provo , 00
    Feb. 7, 2018 10:58 p.m.

I've always wondered if I had the billions of dollars that Jon Huntsman had would I have the pure love and charity that he displayed his entire life? Would my faith remain strong like his? I suppose I will never find out in this lifetime but I do know Jon Huntsman was a great individual and he truly made the lives of millions of others better and each of us can learn from his example of compassion and giving to others even in our finite states.