Dick Harmon: Jeff Grimes breaks down BYU's offensive staff hires as Cougars prepare for spring practice

• WalkerTexas Ranger Greeley, CO
    Feb. 13, 2018 12:39 p.m.

cjd1

"Remember a few weeks Grimes proclaimed he will have "the best offensive coaches BYU ever had? I dont think so."

I for one will give this coaching staff the benefit of the doubt and see if they can turn the offense around. I'm sure not taking a Yoot Troll's opinion to heart on this, especially without a game under their belt.....sigh.....

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Feb. 13, 2018 2:15 a.m.

I have to agree with the posters about Whittingham and the OC constant fiasco - it's been a decade and it's not getting any better.

Taylor is a very talented OC, should be pass happy, the problem is that when you have a passing OC coming into a new system, they take a year and go for stability using a running QB, and after that year they build in their system and often it doesn't take.

Which is why BYU did well with Detmer as OC and Taysom ran the QB position, until Taysom was gone and Tanner needed to drop back and pass, and it didn't go so well.

Will be interesting to see if Troy Taylor makes it through year #2, my guess is that the Utah defense will keep the Utes in some games but the offense, which has never been a dynamic passing offense and doesn't have the 4 years needed to bring up players to that point, won't become what they hope to become.

It takes years to make that transition - I wish BYU would have given Detmer one more year to make it, did you notice the new OC was a running game coordinator? BYU's stacking up a big OL and RBs - I think Utah is one cycle behind us right now for the offense but we'll see.

I hope both teams do well next year.

• Pugman Tremonton, UT
    Feb. 12, 2018 10:51 a.m.

@SoonerUte:
    Let's look a little closer at the stats. 499 of those yards were against Dakota St., BYU, and San Jose St. The three biggest cupcakes on your schedule. Which left him with 481 total receiving yards for the rest of the season. That equates to 8 games at 5.5 receptions per game at 60 yards per game. A little over 1 reception per quarter. Like I said, a staff who couldn't figure out how to get him the ball. Don't cherry pick fox sports numbers for the year...look at the whole body of work. Did great against the cupcakes. But obviously the staff had no clue on how to use him in conference play. This isn't a knock on Carrington, this is a knock on a staff that can't utilize offensive talent. But before you go all crazy on me, this is the identity of Ute football under Whittingham. Strong defense and special teams, that's who they are. And I don't care if Jack Tuttle, Leveon Bell, Tom Brady, or Adam Thielen played for the Utes, the results would be the same. Sorry pal, I have 15 years of history on my side. You, well you just think I'm bagging on the Utes, I'm not. I'm just stating the facts.

• Holy-Schamoly-What Baloney Kaysville, UT
    Feb. 11, 2018 10:53 p.m.

@Lester----There is no such place as BYU-P, except in obsessed ute minds. There is BYU-I and BYU-H, as well as BYU. Got it?

• Utahman4life Lehi, UT
    Feb. 11, 2018 9:19 p.m.

@pugman
    I have been part of this rivalry since the late 70’s as a youngster, had the blue blinders and now drink the red Kool aid ( I went to the U)
    THe 80’s were a great time for the cougs, but the landscape of college football has changed dramatically. also, the U is putting so much $ into football that wasn’t there in the 80’s and 90’s, don’t see byU being able to keep up.
    The offense will come around, they will win 8th straight against the cougs, it will not be close and should win the south.
    I do wish byU and Kalani the best in there efforts to recapture the good ole days In provo, they were glorious!
    Go Utes

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    Feb. 11, 2018 8:19 p.m.

This article has nothing to do with utah, yet why so many posters making it about utah? Forget about the tun and put the focus where the headline reads. Spring ball is right around the corner and these coaches are going to do all they can to turn a negative into a positive.
    Go Cougars!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 11, 2018 8:15 p.m.

Pugman - Tremonton "Look at Carrington this past year. Probably the most frustrated player in NCAA history. You had one of the top receivers in the nation and a coach who wouldn't get him the ball."

Mind if we look at the stats for Carrington? (receptions/yards)
    OR 2014 - 37 / 704
    OR 2015 - 32 / 609
    OR 2016 - 43 / 606
    UT 2017 - 70 / 980

Twice the receptions per year than at Oregon.
    Almost a 1,000 yard receiving season.
    Not bad for a player hampered by a "coach who wouldn't get him the ball".

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Feb. 11, 2018 6:33 p.m.

Wow, still so many haters after an awful BYU football season? That is really quite telling in itself.

There is always optimism before the season begins and I'm looking forward to seeing what these new coaches and new players can do in the next few years, go Cougars!

• Pugman Tremonton, UT
    Feb. 11, 2018 5:30 p.m.

@Naval
    Wrong. You've gone through 10 OCS in 12 years. Whittingham can't get out of the defensive mindset. Which is fine you need a great defense. He will never let Troy Taylor implement the kind of offense that he wants to run. Look at Carrington this past year. Probably the most frustrated player in NCAA history. You had one of the top receivers in the nation and a coach who wouldn't get him the ball.

• Lester L. Wester Henderson, NV
    Feb. 11, 2018 1:34 p.m.

Pug: “Utah isn't very good and they haven't been very good as their record indicates in the pack.“ “They have their own problems that there coaches fail to recognize...”

The three years prior to last year’s rebuilding year, the Utes ended the season nationally ranked and in every CFP ranking poll. Plus, we’re in the prestigious PAC-12. Face the fact, you would give anything to have those “problems.”

The aberration of the 70’s and 80’s are long gone and never to be repeated. Today, Utah beats BYU-P and drops in the polls. The coaches recognize that problem, they just can’t do anything about it as long as they are forced to play BYU-P.

• Lester L. Wester Henderson, NV
    Feb. 11, 2018 1:21 p.m.

DC Surfs: “He hasn’t been to as many places as I’ve been, but he’s familiar with a lot of offenses at that other place."

The U has been notorious for doing this to BYU over the last 15 years. Finally one of our coaches has done it in return. I sure like Grimes a lot more now!!! ”

So that’s the secret as to why the U owns BYU-P. Hiring coaches that played there thirty years ago? The only “nortoriety” in those moves is coaches that want to move up to a more relevant and successful program. ARod is a fired reject from the U, hardly anyone to get very excited about and he knows zero about TT’s offense.

With Utah’s trajectory on the rise and superior depth, I think BYU-P fans may regret getting their way and playing their “Super Bowl” the last game of the season.

• Max-was-right Mapleton, UT
    Feb. 11, 2018 12:45 p.m.

u fans will never be anything in the pac ten, because they constantly live in Provo. Whitt will be fired next year after another 5th place in the south finish. Hill knows that Whitt is in over his head, besides the fact that Hill can't stand Whitt. Live in Provo u fans and 5th place is your new norm...

• Michigan Cougsfan68 Ann Arbor, MI
    Feb. 11, 2018 11:15 a.m.

Cjd1,
    Wishful thinking on your part doesn't change the fact that you have no data yet to support your opinion! I only the other hand am will to wait until after at least the first real game to pass judgement on the new coaching staff!

• top of the world ,
    Feb. 11, 2018 10:15 a.m.

cjd...and how do you know that, given they have not had a single season under their belts. You must be one of the those unusual guys/girls who are able to predict the future. Not a bad quality to possess in this age of confusion and uncertainty.

As for me I will give the coaches a chance to get settled, devise the approach they can all work with and then teach and lead. We shall see where this goes, probably not knowing the outcome of the effort for two years. That's not long to wait, given how last year went. As far as our game with the Utes, we should probably play it, then get the horns out and blow with mighty bursts of energy...or get the towels out and blubber like the children we all tend to be at times.

My prediction still holds for the Utes for next year...South champs. My prediction for the Y is much simpler...bowl game.

The player in our great state I am most anxious to watch...Elder Covey. What a bundle of talent and energy. He will make a difference. And he fits into the new U offense perfectly. He will be explosive this year.

Most important, I hope all of the players stay healthy, get a good education and remember the dream they are living.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Feb. 11, 2018 10:14 a.m.

Pugman:

Utah's Offense will improve because...

1. Utah's recruiting had been reeling in better Offensive players than we have in the past.

2. Kyle Whittingham had brought in better Offensive coaches than we've had in the past. The upgrades at OL, WR, and QB/OC have already demonstrated that improvement. Admittedly, losing Erickson to retirement was a bit of a bump in the road, but the much drop-off at the RB position had been balanced out by the volume of the talent upgrade.

3. Next year, our Offensive coaches and system/strategy would enter "Year 2" -- which points to improvements in "consistency" and "system implementation". Plus our younger recruits have been recruited to fill Troy Taylor's Offensive strategy, rather than requiring TT to shoehorn the existing players who'd been recruited for a different strategy into one that they perhaps weren't the best fit for.

• Pugman Tremonton, UT
    Feb. 11, 2018 9:36 a.m.

Cougar fans I believe need to remember that most of the Ute posters on this board are kids.
    They forget how they were owned by BYU in the 70s and 80s this is a cycle that goes around and BYU is down right now.Their day will come again I'll guarantee it. I'm not saying BYU will ever be like the 70s and 80s with the Utes again, but it will balance out. One reason it will balance out is Utah isn't very good and they haven't been very good as their record indicates in the pack. They have their own problems that there coaches fail to recognize, and they will always have them.They have a track record of this. Ute fans would be very well advised not to get excited about your offense. Your offense has never done anything. I would ask any one of you to come on here and tell me why you believe your offense is going to change anytime soon, it never has, Whittingham won't let it and thats the sad truth and that is why you will always be mired in the middle to the bottom third of your conference. Or as you Ute fans like to say, irrelevant

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Feb. 11, 2018 7:58 a.m.

Cougdon Josh:

“Still Utes fans can't seem to figure it what it means to win”

So I guess the final score never matters? Only the final individual stats in each category? #Coug Logic

Still, Coug fans can’t seem to figure what IT means to win! Only three days away from the big 3000 day mark! With that class ranked around 90, with a bunch of zero and two star recruits, and and OC that’s never been...and OC, I’d say good luck, you’ll need it!

• blue & white Boise, ID
    Feb. 11, 2018 7:28 a.m.

Remember a few weeks Grimes proclaimed he will have "the best offensive coaches BYU ever had" Based on their collective experience this could be the best ever. Time and talent will tell how well the players and coaches work together. Its sure a lot more experience than the last offensive coaching staff had. Hopefully injuries don't hurt the team and take away wins like it did last year.

• What in Tucket Provo, UT
    Feb. 11, 2018 6:41 a.m.

Interesting that the author suggests the recruiting pool is smaller than many schools. With nearly 16 million members one would think that is not too bad a recruiting pool, plus non members seems to like to come too and they have often been stars. It is true the average ACT score is 29.5 so I don't know what ACT an athlete would need.
    Yes BYU would like to beat Utah, but the world won't end if they don't/.

• Deanvrtc Vancouver, WA
    Feb. 11, 2018 2:11 a.m.

This is de ja vu...didn’t we just hear this a couple of years ago about Detmer team? Different person, same message. I’m not sure these guys qualify as the most experienced or qualified. Probably true ....if you add “that were available and willing to come”. BYU football is broken from poor coaching/recruits/and performance. I truly do hope they can turn this mess around....If they can, then I will gladly give them their earned respect. Right now...just names. Go Cougars.

• london_josh lincoln, CA
    Feb. 10, 2018 10:59 p.m.

"Not a chance....Regardless of final margin, byu’ll never ever beat us again, ever."

Actually BYU wins consistently in multiple catagories and always will, you guys have final margin and a long stretch like that, which considering the amount of close games in the series that's a remarkable outcome for the Utes.

Still Utes fans can't seem to figure it what it means to win, so you get what we've got here on every comment section. Honestly it's sad.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Feb. 10, 2018 10:22 p.m.

“Now win us a game against that other team.”

Not a chance....Regardless of final margin, byu’ll never ever beat us again, ever....Lol

Heck, they’ve only ever held the lead against us during our 7 games & counting winning streak for merely 3+ min....Lol

Go Utes!

• DC Surfs Carlsbad, CA
    Feb. 10, 2018 8:27 p.m.

While speaking of Roderick, Grimes says the following:

"He hasn’t been to as many places as I’ve been, but he’s familiar with a lot of offenses at that other place."

Now win us a game against that other team.

• cjd1 Draper, UT