Rep. Mia Love hasn't held public town hall in 628 days, Democratic group says

• Powerdown Farmington, UT
    Aug. 15, 2017 1:15 p.m.

If I was an elected representative, I would never have a town meeting. People have very clearly demonstrated that they do not know how to behave at a town meeting or public forum. Their rudeness overwhelms any issues they wish to discuss. Instead, it would be wonderful if people to presented ideas and solutions. It would be nice to see a sincere desire to improve government and government services.

• Truth & Light Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2017 4:55 p.m.

Mia has my vote for as long as she cares to run for office. I ran into a problem with my military pay, so I contacted Mia's office. A problem that had gone on for more than 6 months was corrected in a couple of weeks.

I am usually slightly left of center, but I'm a big Mia fan.

• JimSumpter Sandy, UT
    Aug. 14, 2017 2:24 a.m.

It's unbelievable that her act gets votes.

RINOs like Ms. Love cannot be counted on to do anything other than the bidding of those who control them.

If we want to restore the republic, we must embrace that We the People are term limits and simply vote every incumbent out of office every chance we get.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Aug. 12, 2017 4:54 a.m.

Mia => MIA => Missing In Action

• robin138 springfield, VA
    Aug. 11, 2017 10:18 p.m.

It seems if she really was interested in how a large number of her constituents felt on a subject, she would schedule town hall meetings in the largest possible facility. Her failure to listen to the majority of the electorate indicates her belief that she knows best and the opinions of non large campaign contributors are not to be valued or taken into consideration in her voting on our Nation's laws.

• Liberal living on Planet Utah SLC, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 3:26 p.m.

Bluto

"Why should she hold Town Hall meetings? Her gerrymandered constituents love her".

This is what true "patriots", leaders and government representatives do comrade! She represents all in her district, not just those which voted for her.

"give the lefties, who aren't even in her district an opportunity to incite a riot and run their mouths? I don't think so. Nobody should be allowed to any Town Hall unless they can prove that they "live" in that Representative's District".

Another day. Continued low information Infowars rhetoric. Care to offer the slightest amount of proof regarding "leftists who aren't even in her district an opportunity to incite a riot an run their mouths"? You certainly do not care when the current embarrassment in the White House does just this daily. Quite the selective memory comrade! Investigate the Tea Party town halls in 2009/2010. Then again since factual information is involved this would be labeled as "fake news" at the epically failed attempt at defending the indefensible and all matters regarding your supreme leader. Basket of deplorables was 100% accurate! The enabling faction continues proving such daily. Country before party. Thank you

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 1:43 p.m.

Why should she hold Town Hall meetings?
    Her constituents love her.

To give the lefties, who aren't even in her district an opportunity to incite a riot and run their mouths?

I don't think so.

Nobody should be allowed to any Town Hall unless they can prove that they "live" in that Representative's District.

• Liberal Survival on Planet Zion Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 10:28 a.m.

@IAlaw -

Re: In response to almost every liberal comment here

"conservatives are at least not so blindly partisan as to ignore or defend the bad qualities of their people? In my experience, Trump supporters are honest enough to admit his flaws, e.g., lack of diplomacy. But with liberals, nuh-uh; everyone's perfect in liberaldom, even Hillary. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a conversation with a liberal who would admit to a single fault of Hillary's. I mean, seriously"?

In response to almost every extremist, enabling comment:

"I mean seriously"...The "but Obama", "but Clinton" statements of deflection/enabling has become nauseating! Why Is your hate of liberals stronger than your love of America? Wake up! What specifically does Obama or Clinton have to do with the current embarrassment which occupies the White House? Enablers. Own your decision which was based solely upon hating everything Obama/Clinton. Country before party comrades! Thank you. Furthermore:

"Trump hits new polling low as base shrinks". {Politico}

"Trump hits new polling low as base shrinks". {Politico}

"Trump approval rating: So low it has to go up? Don't bet on it". {USA Today}

"Trump's approval rating sinks to new low". {The Hill}

Keep digging!

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Aug. 11, 2017 10:01 a.m.

"I'll have your butt kicked out of the meeting."

Oooooh - tough guy.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Aug. 11, 2017 9:53 a.m.

You don't suppose that those small meetings in her office involve an exchange of currency do you?

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 9:33 a.m.

I say a big SO WHAT! There is no requirement to hold a town hall. I've participated in several phone town halls with Mia, Hatch and Lee. I'm fine with those.

The Self Righteous Democrats and their progressive minions that cause the problems at these town halls with their incredibly boorish behavior. It seems like the playbook they use is to be as obnoxious as possible. Frankly, the don't deserve the time of day.

I don't have problems with dissent. I have problems with the way it is done. You want to be civil, I'll listen. I may not agree but I'll listen. You want to be obnoxious and threatening and vulgar? I'll have your butt kicked out of the meeting.

If Mia feels threatened, she doesn't need to have any meeting with anyone.

Lesson from all of this? Be civil. But apparently the Democrats don't know how. I went to a couple of Matheson's town halls back in the day. People, even those that disagreed with him and made comments to him were civil and the meetings went fine. Even the Tea Partiers showed respect. That is the key.

To you Libs that don't agree with me, tough.

• Watcher1 Sandy, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 8:59 a.m.

I can fault Mia Love for lots of things, like not taking a more proactive role and showing more leadership in getting the desperately needed changes in congress. However, I don't fault her for this; as others have said, there are multiple venues of communication where citizens can voice their concerns to her, and she can respond. The sad truth, though, is that these so-called "town halls" have devolved into simply out-of-control bash-Trump sessions, where the liberals have another mechanism to access media attention and rant and rave regarding anything that happens to displease them. It's now a worse-than-worthless waste of time to provide an arena for this abject foolishness.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 8:48 a.m.

Vermonter says:

"In the wake of the Steve Scalise shooting, I don't blame any Democrat or Republican for not holding a town hall."

--- If they're afraid to show their faces, afraid of their "constituents", afraid of their own shadows, they ought not be in office in the first place.

"...they have multiple communication channels."

--- Yeah, right. Have you tried using any of them? No responses received from them.

@Jimbo Low;

Those "mobs" you so joyfully denigrate are the people she's supposed to represent. If she won't represent them, why should they not be angry?

@The Rock;

Again, if they're so afraid of their jobs, they should find another line of work.

@RichardB;

Here's Republican "civility" for you: Take healthcare from millions. Deny marriage equality to LGBT and immigrants (see Louisiana's recently struck down law). Deny religious freedom if someone isn't 'Christian enough'. Ban transgender Americans from serving their country. The list is long.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    Aug. 11, 2017 8:44 a.m.

@NoNames writes, "Keep up the good work, Rep. Love."

Is rubber stamping the Koch Brothers' pet bills your idea of good work? If not, please name one thing that Ms. Love has accomplished. Just one.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    Aug. 11, 2017 8:39 a.m.

One of the ways that Republicans handle the tough questions is to comment about what a great question that is..and then to give a prepared speech--answering the question they *wanted* you to ask, instead of the one you did ask. For example, when you're asked about why you voted for a bill that would strip Medicaid from millions of people, you talk about how important it is for the program to be fiscally sound and how your bill insures future stability.

When Love gets that technique down pat, she'll hold a town hall.

• Misty Mountain Kent, WA
    Aug. 11, 2017 8:27 a.m.

@Vermonter wrote,

"If her constituents, and really anyone, wants to communicate with her, they have multiple communication channels."

Sure, they do. But unless you ask a question that Love a) wants to hear, and b) has an answer for, your comments will never be answered.

You can be darn sure that she has time for the Koch Brothers' representatives.

@The Rock wrote,

"Considering the death threats leveled against some Republicans, I would be reluctant to meet with those complaining about me too."

Chaffetz claimed to have received death threats. He's never provided any evidence that this claim is true. If he really had been threatened, he would have filed a police report immediately, and the telephone records would have been examined. Every incoming call you get is recorded (not the message itself, but whom it came from and what time it came in), and has been for over 25 years.

Don't take my word for it. Ask him about these alleged threats, and ask him if he ever reported them to the police.

• Misty Mountain Kent, WA
    Aug. 11, 2017 8:11 a.m.

@Captain Green wrote,

" Jason Chaffetz quit rather than endure this rude treatment any longer. "

Chaffetz quit because he saw more money and more prestige at Fox News. He is a Ted Cruz wannabe, whose goal is to be president.

• IAlaw Council Bluffs, IA
    Aug. 11, 2017 8:04 a.m.

In response to almost every liberal comment here:

Do you notice that conservatives are at least not so blindly partisan as to ignore or defend the bad qualities of their people? For example, in my experience, Trump supporters are honest enough to admit his flaws, e.g., lack of diplomacy. But with liberals, nuh-uh; everyone's perfect in liberaldom, even Hillary. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a conversation with a liberal who would admit to a single fault of Hillary's. I mean, seriously? Even if I were liberal, I just couldn't imagine being so blindly partisan as to defend everything about that woman. Truly amazing.

• It Begins In Utah Logan, UT
    Aug. 11, 2017 3:13 a.m.

While I agree that I'd like to see Congresswoman Love and others reaching out more to their constituents through town halls, this tactic feels a bit bullying to me.

In 2009-2010 we had Tea Party activists disrupting town halls.

Now we have Democrat activists.

We need these town halls, but to make them effective, everybody has to cooperate. By all means, there should be tough questions, direct discourse, etc. But it should also be a give and take.

All share a piece of the blame in this one.

• The Pug Life Lindon, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 11:57 p.m.

My guess is that as soon as Democrats stop organizing shoutfests to shut down communication at these town hall meetings, then they will increase in number. Political games by the Dems -- intimidate, threaten, then embarrass.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 11:06 p.m.

Rep. Mia Love hasn't held public town hall in 628 days, Democratic group says

=======

She is afraid.

Nothing like having a "Representative" who is afraid of the very people she is supposed to 'represent'.

• kmike las vegas, NV
    Aug. 10, 2017 10:30 p.m.

Not holding a "Town Hall" is not listening to your consitutants.

The Republicans have gone into hiding.

You Represent "Everyone" that lives in your District regardless of Polictal Party.

• Lib Living on Planet Zion SLC, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 9:21 p.m.

LivinLarge

"If democrats believed in civil discourse, there would be lots of town hall meetings. A town hall filled with a bunch of angry, irrational loudmouths is a waste of time for everybody...good judgement Rep. Love"!

Oh the irony! Care to explain why you vote and continue offering unwavering support for an "angry, irrational loudmouth" which clearly doesn't believe in "civil discourse" whatsoever? Apparently it's the continued parroting of the low information daily anti-liberal rhetoric. Country before party comrade! Thank you and keep digging!

• TAS Tehachapi, CA
    Aug. 10, 2017 9:19 p.m.

It's too bad she is the most vulnerable of all the Utah Members of Congress, she seems to have more going for her than Bishop and Stewart.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 8:57 p.m.

The ONLY reason I would vote for Mia Love again is if Doug Owens was on the ballet!

• Captain Green Heber City, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 8:44 p.m.

Why would she want to hold these meetings where radical Leftist agitators will be there shouting her down. Jason Chaffetz quit rather than endure this rude treatment any longer. Those are the people destroying our once great Republic.

• loweye salt lake, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 7:53 p.m.

First, Mia Love has not emailed me, sent me postcards, etc., etc. tho I, like Navyvet, did email her and got no response.

dski, I couldn't help wondering if we heard the same election rhetoric. Were you trying to say that Trump was polite to Hillary and she only shot him down? Did you not hear him call her Crooked Hillary over and over-and he still does at every opportunity (as do almost all Repubs). He has said more than once that she should be in jail. He keeps insisting that she rigged the election. Then why didn't she win? He has done nothing but bad-mouth her and apparently will forever.

Carnak, when you say Mia votes on the right side 99.9% of the time, do you mean the Far Right side? I'm sure many of us would disagree about whether the Right side is the good side.

Obama10, The Demos had 7 years to fix the ACA? Am I mistaken in assuming that the Repubs had those same 7 years to come up with the better plan they said over and over they would?

I am not a big fan of Mia Love because I can see no reason to be when she doesn't seem to care about her constituents. And everyone in the 4th district is a constituent, not just those who voted for her.

• MC Squared Plano, TX
    Aug. 10, 2017 7:26 p.m.

Wouldn't be an issue if limited to true constituents who promise to remain civil and mannerly - otherwise, forget it - they only want an opportunity to disrupt and make news.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Aug. 10, 2017 7:24 p.m.

2018 is the golden chance for democrats to turn Mia Love out. They just need to make sure United Utah peels some of Mia's voters away and run Doug Owens again. If the Democrats lose to Mia Love under such circumstances, it's a lost cause.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 7:16 p.m.

"If democrats believed in civil discourse, there would be lots of town hall meetings. A town hall filled with a bunch of angry, irrational loudmouths is a waste of time for everybody...good judgement Rep. Love!:\"

The author of that comment must be confusing Democrats with Tea Party members. They're not the same at all.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 6:48 p.m.

I think Iron Rod somebody previously posted on that and it didn't seem like it was going well (in regards to Love dialoging).

• RichardB Murray, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 6:46 p.m.

Why should she set her self up to be verbally assaulted like Chavez was. The Democrats are so upset over Hillary's loss, that they have lost any semblance of civility.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 6:44 p.m.

It doesn't matter what party Congressional reps are from when it comes to listening to their constituents. Her paycheck and benefits come from taxpayers. She owes them some things because of that. She can hold town hall meetings with a few rules, security, and metal detectors. People who can follow a few rules of respect and disrupt the mtg. can he escorted out. You can't have a meaningful town hall meeting with people screaming, ranting and raving, and disrupting so no one can ask a question or hear an answer. She represents a few select constituents. That is not acceptable.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 5:46 p.m.

May I make a suggestion.
    For those of you who insist that there are many avenues to communicate with Representative Love. Why don't you explore those "many avenues to communicate with Rep Love" and report your success or failures?

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 5:27 p.m.

@no names accepted

"The GOP has found that town halls are being co-opted by angry, shouting, dangerous mobs "

You mean like the one in republican stronghold Draper where the mayor was threathned for offering his city to have a homeless shelter.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 5:16 p.m.

Funny that the Republicans are being cast as "taking healthcare away" when not one Republican voted for it. Obamacare was designed to implode, which we are now seeing, yet the Republicans are now forced to fixed. Why didn't the Democrats try to fix it for the last 7 years? Because they didn't want their beloved leader to acknowledge the faults in Obamacare. As a Republican, I would let the system fail, and then maybe the Democrats will try to help instead of hinder. Democrats, create the problem and then complain when Republicans try to fix a bad law. Still waiting for my $2500 savings Obama promised. Lost my doctor. Lost my health insurance.

• Bomar Roberts, ID
    Aug. 10, 2017 5:09 p.m.

Mia needs to be primaried. She hasn't lived up to her campaign promises. She cozied up to Boehner immediately and sold out to the establishment.
    Please let's have someone who's a conservative and able to stick to conservative values step up and challenge her in 2018.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 4:54 p.m.

Doesn't need one. She's on the right side of 99.9% of the issues.

Keep it up Mia.

• Navyvet taylorsville, utah
    Aug. 10, 2017 4:32 p.m.

I tried sending an email, no response. I tried calling her, only got a staffie who maintained that she is responsive but she never got back to address my concern. She is not responsive.

• Laxman taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 4:31 p.m.

When she sets aside 2 hours for her to talk to her and you get 10 minutes on a first come first served basis, is that really listening to her constituents? Have security and metal detectors at her town hall meetings. Bottom line she needs note cards in debates, how would she answer live questions.

• dski HERRIMAN, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 4:26 p.m.

I'm in her district and it doesn't bother me whether she has a townhall meeting or not. I want her in Congress working for my interest as in repealing Obamacare like they promised for the last seven years. I don't want her home for a town hall meeting. Congress meets in D.C. That's where I want her to be. Democrats seems to lack substance to sell us so they are back to their old tactics, smearing campaign. They gave us this awful legislation and they are not ashamed. As expensive as it is, they want more of it. Hillary Clinton ran on how bad Donald Trump was instead of how good she is. Apparently, there wasn't much good to brag about. More of the same in the next election?

• JBs Logan, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 4:07 p.m.

"Reaching out" isn't the same as actually listening to constituents and talking face-to-face. If she doesn't want to do this, she shouldn't have run for election.

Aug. 10, 2017 4:07 p.m.

The radical lefties are upset that the GOP won't play their game. The Rules for Radicals teaches how to abuse the other side using their virtues against them. The GOP has found that town halls are being co-opted by angry, shouting, dangerous mobs and simply make good fodder to the liberal lap dog media to gin up fake news about "constituents" (too many with out-of-State license plates) being unhappy with GOP congressmen.

Nothing says a congressman has to hold town hall meetings. Between mail, social media, tele-town halls, cottage meetings, personal appointments, and discussions with delegates, there are many methods and opportunities for her real constituents to meet with Rep. Love. That these methods deny the Saul Alinsky crowd a forum for their boorish behavior is a great bonus.

Keep up the good work, Rep. Love.

• Swaney44 Saratoga Springs, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 3:55 p.m.

I have received several post cards in the mail asking for my input on various issues. I have received polls on Facebook from her asking which issue I feel Congress should tackle next. I received an invitation to her "chat with your congresswoman face to face" where she would allow 10 mins per constituent who wanted to talk with her about whatever they wanted to. I hardly feel she is hiding from me, but rather feel she genuinely is reaching out to her constituents so she can better represent them.

• silo Sandy, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 3:52 p.m.

@livinlarge

You might have a point if it was just 'democrats' being loud and angry. Except it's not. Even in town halls where Republicans hand picked the attendees, they've been raked over the coals by those consituents.

The town hall audiences are vocal because they're angry, regardless of their (or the legislator's) political affiliation.

@Vermonter
    "If her constituents, and really anyone, wants to communicate with her, they have multiple communication channels"

Communication is two way. When Love, Lee, Hatch and others won't respond to emails, won't respond to phone calls, won't respond to letters, and won't hold town halls, it's not 'communication'. It's just an elected official refusing to perform one of their most fundamental duties

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 3:41 p.m.

Gary O for president!

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 3:38 p.m.

Just another do-nothing Utah republican hiding from reality.

• a_voice_of_reason Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 3:33 p.m.

The funny thing is this group targets her for "not meeting with her constituents" in a town hall, but it is this (non-constituent) group and others like it that send non-constituents in to disrupt the town hall meetings so that there is absolutely no exchange of ideas - instead just well-publicized shouting matches. I feel this is a major disservice to the entire process - including the interests of democrat-constituents - who need to have forums to discuss issues and create debate to find common ground and compromises. As a conservative I find the republicans current healthcare plan to be extremely flawed - mostly because it can't last (like Obamacare) through a change in power. A bipartisan solution is the only long-term solution and has to be found. Partisan shouting will not do it. Until town hall meetings can be constructive I also see no point in holding them. Tough questions are important. Shouting down individuals so it makes the news accomplishes nothing.

• Z South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 3:33 p.m.

Everyone in the 4th district be honest; when you get the phone call inviting you to a Mia Love online town hall meeting, do you stay on the phone, or just hang up. If you are among the majority that just hang up, don't complain about the lack of town hall meetings.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Aug. 10, 2017 3:30 p.m.

• Jimbo Low PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 3:23 p.m.

My question to the left would be--why do you need Love to show up to one of your mobfests? Just get a replacement Actress. You have the cameras....you have the unruly crowd; why is she needed?

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Aug. 10, 2017 2:58 p.m.

And why should she hold a town hall? In the wake of the Steve Scalise shooting, I don't blame any Democrat or Republican for not holding a town hall. If her constituents, and really anyone, wants to communicate with her, they have multiple communication channels.

• nancybLV Saratoga Springs, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 2:57 p.m.

Can't say as I blame her for not wanting to go anywhere where there is screaming and anger no one wants to listen they just want to scream and nothing is accomplished....this day and age that is all these townhalls are for is screaming over each other.....I would vote for her again.

• IAlaw Council Bluffs, IA
    Aug. 10, 2017 2:57 p.m.

It seems like the people demanding Town Hall meetings are the ones whose arguments are so good, they have to constantly shout you down to win.

"See? We packed this auditorium so full of people who agree with us, and all together we've yelled so loud and venomously that the guy/gal on the stage can't get a word in. So, we must be right."

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 2:56 p.m.

Her district has been the hardest to Gerrymander by the Utah republican party. Public meetings would only cost her votes. Easy to see why she does not hold them.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    Aug. 10, 2017 2:50 p.m.

Mia Love is AFRAID of her constituents. They might ask questions that require a coherent response.

Hey LivinLarge -

RE: "If democrats believed in civil discourse, there would be lots of town hall meetings."

I know . . . Republican politicians are perpetual victims, aren't they?

"I am a victim." - Donald J Trump

NO Democratic President would EVER utter those words.

Why? . . . Because we Dems have real PRIDE and self-respect.

Face it: A sense of victimhood is what DEFINES GOP politicians . . That and their willful ignorance, their mendacity, and their complete INCOMPETENCE.

• CMO Beaver Beaver, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 2:45 p.m.

she is busy fundraising.. leave her alone

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 2:31 p.m.

Aug. 10, 2017 2:31 p.m.

The only input Mia Love wants is the input of cash from the Koch brothers. She gets her talking points from ALEC and doesn't know how to answer constituents concerns without a script.

• mightymite , 00
    Aug. 10, 2017 2:23 p.m.

There is probably a very good reason for this -- she has been a ghost. Not sure if she has anything to present in town hall.

• UtahTroutStalker Draper, UT
    Aug. 10, 2017 2:21 p.m.

She only hears from a select few of her constituents. She seems ill prepared to be a congressional leader.

I am willing to allow her some time. C'mon Mia hold a town hall, explain why you voted for the repeal bill that could not muster 50 votes.

The rest of us know it is a bad piece of legislation. You should have been strong enough like McCain to stand against it, and not fear reprisal from El Trumpo.

• TAS Tehachapi, CA
    Aug. 10, 2017 2:16 p.m.

Of all the Congressional Districts in Utah, this one is the one where the Democrats have a good chance to win. Lack of town hall meetings might be an issue that would have some play in this district. Love is obviously on the wrong side of the health care issue due to the demographics of this district.