WWII fighter pilot: 'I didn’t think I’d make it through the war'

Now 94, Bob Sharp forged a bond with 2 other Utahns in the midst of WW II uncertainty and danger

• Shuzzie53 Hayward, CA
    Nov. 12, 2017 12:05 a.m.

The Greatest Generation.

• mommyof4 Corning, NY
    Nov. 11, 2017 12:13 p.m.

Thank you for the article. I am one of the lucky ones that get to hear his stories first hand and get to call this great man Grandpa.
    Grandpa, thank you for your service to our country as well as to our family. Love you!

• heyjude Draper, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 2:52 p.m.

My father served in The Army Air Corp. He flew a P-38, over England and France. He related flying into cloud
    banks, and coming out, having members of his squadron missing.
    His name was Asael "Ace" Olsen from Fountain Green, Utah. Unfortunately,
    He died in 1983 from prostate cancer.
    My have other veterans in our family history. Vietnam took many of our friends. We honor the sacrifices of all
    Military Service Members.
    Thank you!

• ryansaltlake SLC, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 1:50 p.m.

Thank you, Doug -- one of your very best articles. And thanks Bob Sharp for the sacrifices you have made for freedom. We honor your service to our country.

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 10, 2017 12:17 p.m.

Wonderful, Thank you for your service and our freedom!

My father was also in the Army Aircorp in WWII. He was in the North Africa - Sicily - Italy- Germany side of the war. I too have stories and many pictures. Some that look like they came right out of National Geographic. One with a B17 and Mt Vesuvius erupting in the back ground. I looked up to my father for serving for 3 years not having to as he was the oldest son and a sick father. Yet he did. My mom married to him waited for him 3 years not knowing if he would return. Mr Sharp, his 2 friends, my father and many others are real heroes that many in today's generation do not have any clue what they did so they could have their freedom.

Thanks again Mr Sharp! (and all Vets)

• Dadof3 Louisville, KY
    Nov. 9, 2017 6:25 p.m.

Thank you for this great article!