Briefs filed in Supreme Court case describe rejection and harm experienced by LGBTQ community

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    Nov. 18, 2017 5:14 a.m.

@ Mayfair

"If same-sex couples would have just gone with civil unions, there would be no issues today and everyone would treat LGBT with a 'live and let live' attitude as they had always done."

Yeah, that "live and let live" vibe running through all those states, including Utah, that passed laws not only denying gay people the right to marry, but also the right to enter into civil unions.

Or the "live and let live" vibe running through American society in the past that criminalized homosexuality or homosexual sex, that enforced penalties such as imprisonment or castration; that looked the other way when LGBTs were routinely targeted for harassment and assault, including by police. Yes, those halcyon days of yore, when LGBTs stayed in their closets so we didn't have to know they existed and deal with our own ignorance about their "condition."

Give me a break. What a complete fabrication of the past.

• Misty Mountain Kent, WA
    Nov. 17, 2017 9:54 a.m.

panamadesnews wrote,

"They not only want the same rights as non-Lgbt's, but they want to have and now do have more rights in some areas."

More rights than straight people? Name one.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    Nov. 17, 2017 9:48 a.m.

@John Forbes asks,

"As a small business owner the government wants to take away my right to choose my customers?"

You can't "choose" on the basis of religion, race, gender, or sexual orientation. You can choose on what they wear (e.g. "no shoes no service) or, in some cases, their age (day care places can restrict the age of the child). You can choose to not serve them if they smell bad or are obnoxious.

" What if I run a customer's credit and I don't like what I see? Will the government tell me I have to serve anyone that walks in the door, even if they have bad credit?"

You require payment in advance. Nothing illegal about that, as long as its not a pretext for other discrimination (see above).

" What if a customer comes in my door and is abusive to my staff, will the government tell me I have to serve them?"

Nope. Just make sure that that's the real reason.

• Mayfair Logan, UT
    Nov. 16, 2017 12:36 p.m.

Frozen Fractals said: "Is there anything same-sex couples have or are seeking that interracial couples don't have?"

Same-sex sex.

That is why people are opposed to SSM.

But this baker and all other wedding industry people who object with being involved with a same sex wedding does so for one reason: They will not be party to what they see as a hijacking of 'marriage'

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    Nov. 16, 2017 6:13 a.m.

@ Rifleman

"Suing mortuary #1 to get what I want really doesn't make much sense - unless I'm pursuing some political agenda."

So should Jackie Robinson have been content to find another hotel when the whites-only ones wouldn't admit him along with his teammates? He was always able to, you know. Should he have just been grateful to have at least SOME equal standing with his fellow citizens?

BTW, equality is a political agenda. Until recently it was even seen as a quintessentially American one.

• Liberal On Planet Zion SLC, UT
    Nov. 15, 2017 1:24 p.m.

Cactus Pete -

"True happiness must come from within. People that are experiencing mental conflicts can't be truly happy. 'It solution' most unhappy people take is to blame others".

Couldn't agree more Petey! You summed up the Trump, enabling faction perfectly! Thank you comrade.

• Cactus Pete Centerville, UT
    Nov. 15, 2017 10:39 a.m.

True happiness must come from within. People that are experiencing mental conflicts can't be truly happy. It solution most unhappy people take is to blame others.

• EscherEnigma Ridgecrest, CA
    Nov. 15, 2017 8:08 a.m.

@John Forbes
    As the owner of a small business, it might behoove you to spend an hour or two with a lawyer (or at least Wikipedia) to understand the content and application of non-discrimination law in this country.

Seeking legal advice regarding the conditions you agreed to when you sought and received your business licence is wise. Seeking said advice from anonymous strangers on the internet, many of whom have apparent biases, is not.

• John Forbes Layton, UT
    Nov. 14, 2017 4:37 p.m.

As a small business owner the government wants to take away my right to choose my customers? What if I run a customer's credit and I don't like what I see? Will the government tell me I have to serve anyone that walks in the door, even if they have bad credit? What if a customer comes in my door and is abusive to my staff, will the government tell me I have to serve them? What are the limits of govermental oversight?

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 14, 2017 3:09 p.m.

@panamadesnews
    "I remember when the LGBT community was saying, we just want to be able to be married just like you. Nothing more. We are not going to do you people any harm. Just let us have the same rights as you have. That's all."

• EscherEnigma Ridgecrest, CA
    Nov. 14, 2017 8:01 a.m.

@panamadesnews
    Protection under non-discrimination laws *is* equal rights. Pretending it isn't ignores the central hypocrisy of insisting on the right to discriminate while hiding behind non-discrimination laws to protect oneself from treatment-in-kind.

@Irony Guy
    "On one hand, discrimination in services is a slippery slope. OTOH, a Jewish baker shouldn't have to make a cake with a swastika on it just because some Nazi asked him to."
    (A) In most jurisdictions political activity is not a protected class.
    (B) Unlike this case, in which the baker said he would not bake *any* wedding cake for the gay couple (never discussed decoration or messaging), agreeing to make a cake but rejecting specific details, such as message-based decoration, is acceptable. Compare the Hands-On Originals case, in which a custom t-shirt printer refused a specific order of "gay pride" shirts (they won their case).

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 14, 2017 4:45 a.m.

If I were a Justice, I would be baffled by this case. On one hand, discrimination in services is a slippery slope. OTOH, a Jewish baker shouldn't have to make a cake with a swastika on it just because some Nazi asked him to. Two principles seemingly in conflict: freedom of expression vs. equality of access in a public accommodation.

I have a feeling nobody's going to be happy about this one.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Nov. 13, 2017 7:24 p.m.

Yeah, right. Now look what they have done and are doing since that time. It will never end. They not only want the same rights as non-Lgbt's, but they want to have and now do have more rights in some areas. It will never end. Mark my words, this will become a plague on society as we now know it.

• EscherEnigma Ridgecrest, CA
    Nov. 13, 2017 4:45 p.m.

@mhenshaw
    "Ever since weddings have been religious ceremonies."
    #NotAllWeddings

To be clear: No god was invited to my wedding. Not Zeus, Odin, the Morrigan, YHWH, Shiva, the Buddha, Coyote, Anubis, or any other deity old or new. My parents, nearly fourty years ago, were also married in a similarly no-god-invited wedding, in a courthourse in front of a judge.

The only time, in any civilization, where all weddings have been religious weddings, have been when the government only allowed religious weddings.

@Light and Liberty
    "No one ever addresses the 'injustice' of a child growing up without a father and a mother."
    Except every anti-gay campaign (for any topic, really) dating back to Anita Bryant.

@Rifleman
    In the case in question, the man had arranged and contracted for the cremation services prior to his death. The mortuary didn't voice their objections until *after* he died, forcing the surviving spouse to make rush arrangement with a mortuary over a hundred miles away.

Which is another problem with these cases. Cases like the baker, where the refusal is up-front, are not the norm. Normally the refusal doesn't happen until the day of.

• EscherEnigma Ridgecrest, CA
    Nov. 13, 2017 4:32 p.m.

@Yar
    "If there are solutions that don’t involve forcing religious folk to discard their moral conscience and that would please gay people, I’m more than willing to consider such solutions."
    As I often repeat myself, my only demand is that we all play by the same rules.

If you can refuse me service because of your God's view of gays? Then I can refuse you service because of your God's view of gays. If I have to ignore your God's view of gays and provide you service? Then you have to ignore your God's view of gays and provide me service.

As such, the one-sided arguments proposed by the lawyers and "religious liberty" bills thus-far has been unacceptable to me.

@No One Of Consequence
    "There's a middle ground where people can respect each other's rights without attacking people over their beliefs."
    Sure. But between sodomy laws, employment bans, adoption bans and marriage bans, all the while being protected by non-discrimination laws prohibiting religion-based discrimination, y'all nuked that middle ground from orbit.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2017 12:06 p.m.

Hutterite - American Fork, UT
    Using your analogy, if one mortuary doesn't do cremations for what ever reason and I wanted one done then I'd let my fingers do the walking through the yellow pages until I found a mortuary that does do cremations.

• bassoonlady OREM, UT
    Nov. 13, 2017 12:05 p.m.

@laura
    "Come on, now. He's paying attention to the position and the lighting. He could care less who the couple are or at what point the ceremony
    is at--his aim is to get a picture which will look good in the album. This is skill--NOT artistry."

Wow. Next you'll be telling us that bands which perform primarily at weddings aren't artists either, they're just employing a set of skills to create a good sound.
    If they are using their skills to create something "to look good" or sound good, they are an artist. What do you think painters do? NOT use a skill set to make a picture that will look good on your wall?
    Also, Why would you pay a photographer who isn't paying attention to what they're taking a photo of, or trying to maximize the visual appeal, intimacy, and particularly the meaning created by the photo? All of these skills are what make artists artists, whether using a camera or a paintbrush, and what you are paying for.
    And what about wedding planners, who are intimately involved in the details of the wedding? Are they required to PLAN an event with which they disagree? Where's the line? or does freedom of conscience and expression always loose?

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 13, 2017 11:05 a.m.

One thing that kind of sneaked by in the story shows how much more deeply entrenched the problem is.
    We often hear of the emotionally stressed photographer or baker or whomever in the wedding services industry not wanting to have their services associated with a same sex marriage. They argue that their services constitute a tacit approval or endorsement of the practise.
    How does that apply to the denied cremation service of a person in a same sex marriage? Could you deny selling them tires, or veterinary services too?
    Apparently the affront isn't limited to cakes or photos or flowers. Tough to say at some point how it's not discrimination.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2017 10:38 a.m.

People push the bounds and limits our society has set on morality and then are surprised when those behaviors are questioned by those who are wiser.

Some people just aren't ready to accept the "anything goes" freedom from morality that only leads to sorrow, lack of self respect, and depression.

The solution for people who have experimented with the "anything goes" mentality and found that it leads down a dead end road? Blame others.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Nov. 13, 2017 10:15 a.m.

People in America are becoming overly sensitive and easily offended.

Nursing hurt feelings will someday cause the collapse of our nation.

Develop some thick skin and toughen up.

• Flying Finn Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2017 9:54 a.m.

I've never had reason to question what the doctor put on my birth certificate.

My neighbor's daughter wants to be a man and has a baby with a guy who wants to be a woman. How they want to live their lives is their business but it doesn't seem to be bringing them the joy and happiness they seek.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 13, 2017 9:38 a.m.

Redshirt:
    "To "Cougsndawgs" so are you saying that the LGBT community is full of bad Christians since they are the ones who have gone to the Government to force others to behave how they want them to (?)".

No I don't think the LBGTQ community are bad Christians for requesting to be treated the same way all customers are treated. It's not your place or mine to judge another human being, it's Christ's because He earned it. He suffered for them and knows EXACTLY how they feel so leave the judging to Him. Otherwise, this baker must refuse service to anyone he deems offensive and a sinner, not just a gay couple. And no one is asking for the keys to the temple or that the baker take part in the wedding itself, so enough of the drama.

"You do realize that Jesus whipped people in the Temple...You forget that Jesus isn't all hugs and kisses".

No RS...you forget that He, unlike you, me and a baker in Colorado, was perfect. He said: "I the Lord will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men...And ye ought to say in your hearts—let God judge between me and thee, and reward thee according to thy deeds".

• Egyptian origins Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2017 6:58 a.m.

Immorality is not all a crime in our society. If you worship a false god our society will not throw you in prison. Profanity is banned, edited, & censored but is only fined in a courtroom. No one is thrown in prison for not attending Church on Sunday. If you don't honor your parents you are not thrown in prison. Murder does get you thrown in prison, but not adultery. Stealing gets you in prison. A false court testimony will get you potentially fined & sued by the vindicated defense; & a false testimony to Congress will get you impeached, but rarely leads to prison time. Coveting is encouraged in societal advertising. & the overarching moral commandment to love, when violated, is now punishable as a hate crime. & this is the real debate: Is a baker allowed to hate under the guise of religious freedom to deny business to others? In the 60's businesses denied service to hippies by having a dress standard, it still exists today. W/ poverty @ crisis levels in our society, why do we allow hate to dictate our laws to intensify the crisis? What is wrong with people who justify hatred? Ezekiel 16 lists the sins of Sodom; homosexuality isn't listed, but pride & neglecting the poor are.

• Thomas Thompson Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2017 5:16 a.m.

The article makes a wonderful case for rejecting the position of the baker in this case. But to make that rejection happen before the Supreme Court of the United States, all five of the justices who voted to affirm the constitutional right to marry for gay people will have to also agree that people who bake cakes must also bake one for them, if they so desire. The key here is going to be Justice Kennedy, who wrote the opinion for the Court in Obergefell. Notably, however, he's a fairly conservative justice when not dealing with LGBT issues. That's why the supporters of the baker have framed this, not as an LGBT issue, but as a religious freedom issue. And, assuming the Court agrees that is an appropriate framing of the issue, the baker just might win. But win or lose, the present case is going to be an influential precedent for many years to come.

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    Nov. 12, 2017 10:50 p.m.

if you go to court to FORCE someone to do something they don'y want to.. you are probably going to be rejected by society.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Nov. 12, 2017 10:11 p.m.

Forcing people into accepting the LGBT culture is discrimination.

• 1Reader Alpine, UT
    Nov. 12, 2017 11:43 a.m.

It comes down to basic freedom: can we do what we want, or must we comply with social or legislated changing standards (whatever they become). I'd rather not be a robot in a totalitarian state.

• Light and Liberty St George, UT
    Nov. 12, 2017 7:54 a.m.

No one ever addresses the 'injustice' of a child growing up without a father and a mother. How sad is that, no matter how you feel about same sex marriage?

• Clinton King (Ephraim) Ephraim, UT
    Nov. 11, 2017 4:43 p.m.

What I want to know is how would the couple feel if the baker decorated the cake, but did a lousy job because he couldn't put his heart into it?

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    Nov. 11, 2017 2:04 p.m.

@ Jacob_Z Selling someone 2 cakes is ok. But that is not what this issue is about. The cake maker in question not only bakes cakes, but painstakingly, carefully, decorates them too. This means that he is taking not only his time, but his talents--himself, really-- and it is not fair to ask him to do this for something he does not support. This is very different than selling something off the shelf. Another example: If I were a portrait painter, I'd paint portraits of anyone willing to pay, but not in any vulgar pose they wanted or not in any state of undress they wanted. Do you agree on this one? I believe the "go the extra mile" analogy is flawed. If someone compelled you to, say, smuggle drugs, or shoplift, would you volunteer to smuggle even more drugs or shoplift even more?

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    Nov. 11, 2017 11:56 a.m.

@ Baccus 0902 No loving someone of the same gender is not a sin. But having sexual relations with them (or with anyone to whom you are not legally married -- and the Lord's definition of marriage does not include same-sex marriage) is a sin. And marrying someone of the same sex is a sin. The living prophets have made this quite clear. See the Proclamation on the Family. Of course, there aren't scriptures against same sex marriage because it did not exist back then. But there are scriptures against homosexual relations (e.g. Romans 1:27).

• mhenshaw Leesburg, VA
    Nov. 11, 2017 11:44 a.m.

>>Since when a wedding cake is a religious symbol?

Ever since weddings have been religious ceremonies.

Under the First Amendment, no one has the right to tell another person what should or shouldn't constitute a religious belief; nor does anyone have the right to what dictate what physical objects should or shouldn't constitute an expression of those religious beliefs.

• Jacob_Z Brigham City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2017 10:03 a.m.

Re: "Therefore, he does support sinful activity (such as gay marriage) and does not ask us to support sinful activity either."

By baking a cake in exchange for payment to fulfill a contract you're not supporting anything. And if you think you are, or if you think that your customers are asking not just for a cake, but for your approval, you've got an inflated sense of self-importance.

Re: "In fact he wants us to good-naturedly warn others about sinful activity and spread the good news that we can all repent of our sins."

Jesus says specifically that you should not resist evil. (Matthew 5:39-41.) "And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also." He doesn't say, Tell them you can't do that, because it would be supporting stealing. And he doesn't say, Tell them nicely that stealing is wrong and they should repent. He says, Hand it over! In fact, give them more than they demand.

So are cakes a different matter altogether? If somebody sues you for a cake, or simply asks you to bake them one for money, which is certainly no great imposition, since that's your business, you /should/ resist that? Or shouldn't you rather bake him two?

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    Nov. 11, 2017 9:50 a.m.

@OneHumanFamily writes,

"Denying a product or service to a group of people that you provide to others is unacceptable. Having a business license comes with stipulations. Don't like it? Don't be in business. Why is this so hard for people to understand?"

Because they have spent their entire life feeling superior to "those people" (many use considerably more pejorative language) and much of their identity is based on the belief that they are better than a group that they have been raised to despise.

Few people voluntarily give up power.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    Nov. 11, 2017 9:30 a.m.

@ RG, - Buena Vista, VA

" But "I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance." (D&C 1:31). Therefore, he does support sinful activity (such as gay marriage) "

Dear RG, obviously you like to read the scriptures. So do I and have found that when the Lord has wished to express something, He speaks in the first person. We see that in the Old and New Testament, the BoM, D&C, and The Pearl of Great Price.

In other occasions we have men who claim to speak in the name of the Lord, such as Moses, Paul and many others.

If you compare the "spoken word of the Lord" and "the messages of men", you will see that are many things we don't follow because we understand them to be their opinion. I.e. stoning people, women being quiet at church, etc.

Going back to your quote of D&C 1:31. Do you have a passage in any of the scriptures in which "the Lord" tells us that loving somebody from your own sex is a sin?

There are scriptures that may indicate exactly the opposite e.g. Jonathan & David; Jesus healing the Centurion "servant". There are Christian and Mormon congregations i.e. Community of Christ, Episcopal Church, that support the dignity of SSM with the sacred books.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2017 9:27 a.m.

@my_two_cents_worth - university place, WA
    @Utes Fan

“Being in support of a business owner who thinks he can hide behind religion to ignore non-discrimination laws he agreed to as a condition of his business license is certainly seen as a non-loving position.”

There, cleaned it up for you.

__________

My bad. Of course a business owner or citizen should never, ever, challenge a law, never stage a protest, and never, ever disagree with the law or court ruling. And never ever defend freedom of speech, and freedom of religion should never ever be defended. Never. We should all just 100 percent agree with every law ever passed and never ever think about challenging any ruling.

Yes. Thanks for cleaning it up for me.

• OneHumanFamily Provo, UT
    Nov. 11, 2017 9:19 a.m.

I cannot believe we are having this discussion, especially among people that claim to follow Christ. This was decided in the Jim Crow era, for heaven's sake. Denying a product or service to a group of people that you provide to others is unacceptable. Having a business license comes with stipulations. Don't like it? Don't be in business. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    Nov. 11, 2017 8:26 a.m.

To all the people that claim that Jesus loves everyone and so he would approve of forcing the baker to bake the gay wedding cake, you are right and wrong. Yes he does love everyone and wants us to love everyone to. But "I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance." (D&C 1:31). Therefore, he does support sinful activity (such as gay marriage) and does not ask us to support sinful activity either. In fact he wants us to good-naturedly warn others about sinful activity and spread the good news that we can all repent of our sins. (And I realize that some readers don't believe in this understanding of Christ but I'm not calling you "Mormonphobic." And I'm not offended nor am I demanding the government step in to save my feelings.)

• Brent Garner Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 11, 2017 7:28 a.m.

The article seems to overlook an important difference between the case of the bakers and alleged discrimination. In the case of the bakers, they are being compelled to support a message they disagree with on religious grounds. In other words, the law is compelling them to say something they disagree with. Refusing a ride in a cab or a room at a hotel is not the same as what is involved in the case of the bakers. But forcing someone to produce something bearing a message that person disagrees with is compelled speech and the government should never be allowed to compel speech.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Nov. 11, 2017 6:13 a.m.

The old middle ground after the abolition of slavery was Jim Crow law.

Now the so-called Religious are asking for law that is middle ground to allow them to discriminate.

How much irony is that? And how little do people actually read and understand of our history?

• my_two_cents_worth university place, WA
    Nov. 11, 2017 12:55 a.m.

@Utes Fan

There, cleaned it up for you.

• GingerMarshall Brooklyn, OH
    Nov. 11, 2017 12:30 a.m.

@Vanceone:

Richard Raddon resigned from the LA Film Festival. The LAFF has a mission of supporting diverse filmmakers, and Raddon's political action supporting a law designed to discriminate undercut the stated mission.

Scott Eckern was artistic director of the California Musical Theater. When his political donation to the passage of a discriminatory law was revealed producers and playwrights, understandably, began pulling their work from his theater. He resigned.

William Bolthouse sold his share of the company he founded nearly 3 years before Prop 8. The company did face some threats of boycotts, but made it clear Bolthouse was not involved in the company at all. He wasn't fired.

Brendan Eich became CEO of a large and supposedly diverse company. Employees were stunned to find he had supported Prop 8, a law that treated some employees as second class citizens. As employees and business partners objected to Eich's political activism he admitted he couldn't be an effective leader of a diverse company and resigned.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 9:41 p.m.

@my_two_cents_worth - university place

"Oh my. I came here looking for the “Christian/Mormon” perspective on “loving thy neighbor as thy self.” Needless to say I was disappointed."
    ________

Yes. Being in support of a business owner being forced to perform a function that he is opposed to or be sued out of business can certainly be seen as a non-loving position.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 9:16 p.m.

Discrimination against.a.person because of their essence is destructive.

• Misty Mountain Kent, WA
    Nov. 10, 2017 7:58 p.m.

@NoNamesAccepted writes,

"Why can't you let him make wedding cakes for those events he supports while declining to make wedding cakes for events he opposes?"

The phrasing of your question makes me think that you think that Phillips should be able to turn down a cake order if he doesn't approve of the marriage. Would you say that he has a right to decline an order for an interracial wedding, if he has a "religious objection" to said marriage? If not, why not?

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    Nov. 10, 2017 7:52 p.m.

@NoNames wrote,

" A wedding photographer is an artist who must be intimately involved in the wedding staging photographs to capture the best memories possible."

is at--his aim is to get a picture which will look good in the album. This is skill--NOT artistry. There is a difference.

• No One Of Consequence West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 5:08 p.m.

"People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along?"
    Rodney King

• mhenshaw Leesburg, VA
    Nov. 10, 2017 4:40 p.m.

>>'"If what you say is, 'I object to your wedding,' you're really saying, 'I object to you,'" said Rachel Tiven, CEO of Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund.'

No, it's not saying, “I object to you.” It’s saying, “I don't want to take part in this activity.” Enormous difference; but claiming the former offers insight into the mindset of the plaintiffs and their supporters.

Nov. 10, 2017 4:30 p.m.

@Laura Bilington: "Phillips hasn't abandoned his occupation. He's just not making wedding cakes now."

Custom, heterosexual wedding cakes was a major part of his business. Why can't you let him make wedding cakes for those events he supports while declining to make wedding cakes for events he opposes?

"And how can you participate when you're nowhere in sight when the item is used?"

But this is not an honest argument when you've made clear that you also believe in forcing photographers to work weddings they find offensive. A wedding photographer is an artist who must be intimately involved in the wedding staging photographs to capture the best memories possible.

In demanding that photographers work every wedding offered, you've undermined the claim that the degree of personal involvement matters to you at all. Clearly, this is about forcing acceptance and support for homosexual events; or at least punishing those who dare voice any meaningful opposition.

Anyone who claims Phillips, other customer bakers, or photographers are not artists is foolish or deceitful. There has to be some reason people pay $1000 for a cake if the exact same cake can be had at Costco for $100.

• my_two_cents_worth university place, WA
    Nov. 10, 2017 4:28 p.m.

• Pugman Tremonton, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 4:17 p.m.

When I was a young boy businesses all over our town and neighboring towns posted signs that simply read "we reserve the right to refuse patronage to anyone". That's as true today as it was 50 years ago. America is tired of having this stuff rammed down our throats and we're even more sick and tired of being called homo phobs because of it. Each of us everyday makes choices in our lives...good or bad and we have to live with the consequences of those choices. If a business does not want to serve you...simply put, go somewhere else and some where along the way you will find someone who will. Enough said. Quit dragging hate into it just because a majority of people are not on board with the choices you make in your life. Sportsmans warehouse has bullets cheaper than Cabela's but I don't go around trashing Cabela's or any other outdoor store because they charge more...it's their right as a business and I respect that. I simply choose to go somewhere else. And I don't run to the supreme court to voice my displeasure.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 4:10 p.m.

Forcing the baker to participate in a ceremony which violates some of his most fundamental beliefs seems blatantly unconstitutional.

If he did bake the cake but wasn't sufficiently enthused or smile broadly enough when he actually sold the cake and the couple was offended by his lack of "support", would they then have cause to sue him for that?

The idea that everyone **must** accept and comply with the wishes of everyone else who might otherwise claim to be offended smacks a bit much of the same kind of forced "happiness" demanded of the victim-citizens in N. Korea by the "Beloved Leader".

• Back Talk Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 10, 2017 4:00 p.m.

Compromise would be a situation where both groups of people get to enjoy their full rights. Of course, intolerant gay and bisexual groups dont agree with that.

The next best thing would be for the Supreme Court to say that it is ok for a business to "outsource" the making of this product. In that case, the gay couple again gets to enjoy their wedding cake (made by someone who supports their union) and the business gets to state his beliefs and stay in business as well.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 3:26 p.m.

To "Cougsndawgs" so are you saying that the LGBT community is full of bad Christians since they are the ones who have gone to the Government to force others to behave how they want them to.

You do realize that Jesus whipped people in the Temple and kicked out the merchants there. He didn't put up with people making a mockery of the sacred events that take place in the temple either. He has also promised to kill all that oppose him at the last day. You forget that Jesus isn't all hugs and kisses.

• Liberal On Planet Zion SLC, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 3:00 p.m.

Vanceone -

No Laura, many cake bakers actually have to go to the ceremony, set up the cake, help distribute it, etc. But even if you are right and cake bakers don't have to be there: photographers certainly do. Caterers must attend.
    As for "oh, no big deal, nothing bad will happen to you!" Tell that to the State of Oregon, which bankrupted and seized someone's house as well as their business for refusing to provide a cake to a same sex "wedding"-- when it was still illegal in Oregon. That's like the state throwing you in jail for saying you wouldn't cater a mob function.
    That's not counting the death threats against the mayor of Fresno; various pastors and of course the widespread terrorism campaign against the LDS church conducted by the LGBT movement".

Deep yawn...When all else fails and there is no intelligent point to be made use hate rhetoric, fear mongering, grossly inaccurate information and of course non cited source material! Keep digging.

• ADifferentView Park City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 2:48 p.m.

Public accommodation laws have outlived their need and they should all be repealed.

Let freedom ring with gay bars, non-gay bars, or whatever bars. Let there be black businesses, Chinese businesses, women-only businesses, handicapped-only businesses, republican businesses, democratic businesses, or whatever businesses. I am not afraid of a world where people are allowed to live free.

Go ahead, tell me that Mormons are not welcome to work at your company - it won't bother me. I don't need lawmakers forcing you to serve me. Somebody else will. The government should never discriminate against me, but freedom demands that everyone else be allowed to do so.

I walked past a shop in Portland, OR recently and they had a big sign welcoming people of all sexual orientations. They should be free to do so. And if the shop next door wants to post a sign saying they only bake cakes for male-female non-mormon weddings, they should be free to so so as well. The world will still be as wonderful to me.

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 2:40 p.m.

Why do you leftists insist that you can force others to work for you? The last time the Democrat party tried that, we had a civil war. You lost. Yet here you are, demanding that just because you exist you have the right to force others to work and do whatever you want.

Impartial: Brandon Eich, Scott Eckern, Richard Raddon; William Bolthouse was fired from his own company Bolthouse farms. Marjorie Christoffersen.
    That's not counting the death threats against the mayor of Fresno; various pastors and of course the widespread terrorism campaign against the LDS church conducted by the LGBT movement.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 2:39 p.m.

Plenty of progressive people to bake you a cake, I, for one, will bake you a cake for $25,000. Freedom means I can charge what I want. Or shop elsewhere. Economy evens out a lot of things. First class on airline is too costly for me, so is New York real estate, and I can't file suit because they charge so much.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 2:38 p.m.

I think it's unfortunate that we have to turn to our government to tell us how to treat and serve others the way the Savior would. There are multiple examples in the scriptures of Him teaching and serving those that had different lifestyles, views, and beliefs than His own (the parable of the Good Samaritan is a start) . If you are a true Christian, you don't need the government to tell you how to follow His example. What should be against your religious beliefs is when someone proclaiming to be Christian uses their limited judgement to refuse service to someone they deem a sinner rather than follow His omniscient example and serve there fellow men/women.

The SCOTUS decision in this case will examine the constitutional rights of both sides, but I've already made up my mind to serve all as He did. Whether they're gay or straight, in a heterosexual or same-sex-marriage shouldn't affect our decision to serve them with love and kindness, as I guarantee you He would and does.

• Yar Springville, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 2:31 p.m.

Nov. 10, 2017 2:28 p.m.

Nobody should be denied general / off-the-shelf goods or services over sexual orientation, lawful possession of a gun, race, sex, religious/political affiliation, etc.

And nobody should be forced to promote, support, nor attend any event or message to which he objects.

Neither a Mormon, Black person, nor homosexual individual should be denied service.

No photographer should ever be required to attend a Mormon church event, a Black Lives Matter rally, nor a Pride Parade as a condition of having a business license. Even if the photographer advertises general photographic, on-site services. Even if she routinely does work for Evangelical Church events, Hispanic rallies, or other events, she must remain free to decline work based entirely on the content of the work.

The government must never be permitted to engage in content-based discrimination or censorship. Private individuals, including private businesses, have always and must always remain free to do exactly that.

1915 Truax v. Raich Supreme decision: "The right to work for a living ... is of the essence of that personal freedom and opportunity which it was the purpose of the Fourteenth Amendment to secure."

Nov. 10, 2017 2:25 p.m.

@Uteofferouus
    "Or, Imagine being fired from your job if someone at your place of employment discovers that you voted for Prop 8 – oh, I forgot that happens all the time!"

Do tell. Name 3 people that got fired for their vote? Oh, I forgot. You can't.

• Lib on Planet Zion Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 2:21 p.m.

Based upon the countless, outlandish examples from those which obviously did not complete a basic Con Law classs better yet possess a law degree, apparently these individuals are under the impression it is perfectly acceptable for ANY business to turn away those of the Mormon faith based upon individual "religious freedoms". This means good luck when you are away from the comfy confines and booming metropolises such as Cedar Hills, Provo, Green River and Riverton! After all this is the exact treatment Mormon pioneers experienced until finally settling Utah. It was wrong then and wrong today regarding the treatment of the LGBTQ community! Your "religious freedoms" end at others being discriminated against solely based upon their sexual preference. Period! Thank you.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 2:20 p.m.

Vanceone : "When LGBT mobs invade churches during Sunday services; or they spray graffiti on chapels; well, that's just old fashioned protesting and you are wrong if you complain. Those poor church goers forced to sit through profane LGBT people--they don't have rights to not be offended, no sir! Only LGBT people have feelings that count! Just ask them!"

Please elaborate on your story telling, last time I remember a ugly protest against the LDS was by another Christian Club/Church, because there's not enough hate in the world.

Just saying things, to justify your poor behavior towards others, is shameful.

Christ said turn the other cheek, but of course that isn't taught as much as eye for an eye, because revenge is so much sweeter, right?

@patriot
    Gay's have always been around, it's just that nasty mean people made it dangerous to act on it.

• Liberal On Planet Zion SLC, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 2:17 p.m.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    Nov. 10, 2017 2:08 p.m.

"people of faith are forced to compromise their beliefs"

"He must repeatedly violate his conscience or permanently abandon his occupation"

"forced to choose between condoning a same-sex marriage by participating in it or going out of business"

Hyperbole much?

People whose faith requires them to treat others as lesser beings are free to believe whatever they want. I'm sure there are people today who have some pretty awful beliefs about Mormons, but that doesn't give them the legal right to refuse to rent to them, or photograph their wedding reception.

[I'm trying to envision Jesus saying that equal treatment would compromise his beliefs. It's not easy]

Condoning? Participating? Come on, now. Selling something--and never seeing the person again--isn't condoning what they do with the thing you sold. And how can you participate when you're nowhere in sight when the item is used?

Nov. 10, 2017 2:05 p.m.

@pragmatistferlife: "Oh please. Carrying a gun is a decision, being female, being gay or transgender is not."

Bringing your homosexual partner to a work party, or showing affections as he drops you off at work are decisions. You would be object greatly if a business claimed to treat homosexuals equally, but barred homosexual couples from holding hands in the store. Holding hands is a choice.

Shall bakers be forced to provide "wedding" cakes for polygamous unions? Remember, only a few short years ago a popular refrain against homosexual conduct was "that is illegal". Polygamy is illegal only because of moral objection to it.

My point here is that those who scream the loudest against "discrimination" very rarely pause to carefully examine their own biases.

Those who fought most against claims of homosexuals being pedophiles turn around and claim polygamy is inherently harmful to women and children. Those most offended by expectations to be discrete in personal relationships are quick to force gun owners into the closet they just exited. Those who decry intimidation use force of law to bankrupt peaceful dissent.

Congrats, you've become everything you claimed to despise.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    Nov. 10, 2017 2:05 p.m.

@ Vanceone - Provo, UT
    " Militant Homosexuals run around looking to harass and harm Christians."

Vanceone, please educate me. What is the connection between a Wedding Cake and Christianity? Since when a wedding cake is a religious symbol?

What is interesting and ironic to me is that many Same Sex weddings in the U.S.A. do take place in a religious setting and of those most in Christian churches or performed by a Christian minister.

@patriot -
    "Second this whole so-called LGBT thing is bogus. Ask someone 15 years ago what LGBT meant and you would get a blank stare".

Oh dear! The Exodus took place (supposedly) around 3,500 years ago. Instead of giving you a blank stare people were commanded to stone you to death. Just ask Sharrona. So obviously homosexuality have been with us for a long, long time. So, I don't think you can call it bogus or just a fad.

Angry friends, remember when you claimed the wrath of your god would fall in the U.S. if SSM became the law of the land? On June 27, 2015 the sun came out and life continued. This will also pass and when we respect each other with our differences we'll be a better a more Christian society.

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 1:59 p.m.

Uteofferous, you forget: the left is 100% ok with punishing those they disagree with. How many times do we see leftist posters pushing the idea that the government should silence the LDS church because by promoting chastity the Church is "Forcing their views on everyone else". This is bad, they say. But mandatory LGBT celebration day by the public schools like in California is not at all wrong and people need that view forced on their impressionable children.

If someone asks you a hypothetical question, that's grounds to take away your business license and bankrupt you. All perfectly 100% ok, according to our "betters" on the left. But when Apple, Microsoft and Google demand that laws be changed "Or else", and they fire people who think there are differences between men and women... just peachy keen!

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Nov. 10, 2017 1:50 p.m.

I am certainly happy to see that bigotry is defended by some Christians with quotes from the Old Testament.

It shows for all to see that the case against the cake maker is pretty ironclad. He religiously acted to harm a protected class of people. You do not get to hide behind your religion to protect your bigotry.

This case ought to be a slam dunk.

• Jacobiuntherus Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 1:43 p.m.

@Happy Valley Heretic - Orem, UT:

Same-gender attraction may not be a choice, I have come to believe that over the years. However, same-sex marriage IS a choice, just like being active in a religion IS a choice.

Most conservatives don't object anymore to someone who is attracted to another person of the same gender (as long as they don't act out and sexually assault or harass other persons as Kevin Spacey allegedly has done).

But it is a choice for us to refuse to support same-sex marriage and to view it as a sinful practice just as it is a choice for you to mischaracterize biblical and other moral teachings against sinful practices.

• shamrock Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 1:43 p.m.

I've never understood how people who profess to be Christian can be so intent on discriminating against others and hurting them. I seem to remember Jesus insisting that we should "love one another." Refusing to even sell someone a cake (or medical services or food or whatever) does not sound like love to me.

• Uteofferouus Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 1:30 p.m.

NoNamesAccepted makes some really salient points in his comment which I quote:

“Imagine being fired for saying a silent prayer over your lunch. Who would support firing someone just for hugging and giving a quick kiss to his homosexual partner while getting dropped off in the parking lot? What if Democrats were fired just for letting it be known they voted for Hillary”?

Or, Imagine being fired from your job if someone at your place of employment discovers that you voted for Prop 8 – oh, I forgot that happens all the time! And LGBTQ folks want fairness?

• Justiciaparatodos Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 1:24 p.m.

The story that Matt Adler tells about the Lyft ride driver is troubling. As a Mormon and as an American citizen, I personally find that type of discrimination to be despicable!

It was pointed out that “one potential compromise would involve creating an accommodation for businesses like Masterpiece Cake shop under the assumption that support for same-sex marriage would continue to rise and that shops that won't serve LGBT couples wouldn't survive, Flanders added”.

To Mr. Flanders I would say that there is another assumption – and that is that there are a whole lot of people who object to same-sex marriage who would actively support a bakery which doesn’t support making cakes for Gay weddings over those that do.

Importantly, I would add that I would likewise not support that same bakery or any other business which would attempt to refuse to serve (in a general sense) goods and services to Gay customers which are not associated with a gay wedding!

In other words, a lot of decent people draw a line when it comes to our religious objections to same-sex marriage.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 1:23 p.m.

re:LMacfarren

great post. Agree 100% !

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 1:18 p.m.

Vanceone claims: "Militant Homosexuals run around looking to harass and harm Christians. This is a fact."

Like when they passed a law saying Heterosexuals couldn't marry the person they loved, even though their church and religion condoned it?

Since you claim this is a fact, you should have no problem proving it with many references and situations, right? I won't hold my breath.

A gun is not a person, dumb analogy, let me help, No shirt , No shoes, No Guns, see it's about safety. Don't need another hero, shooting the toilet out from under them.

@Macfarren: Religion is a choice, sexual orientation isn't, even if you believe it is. Now with your extensive diatribe, you failed to mention where in your scriptures Jesus said, Not to serve sinners, specifically, not some vague interpretation, like Sharrona's sex with animals nonsense.
    I can't for the life of me find a single parable or sermon about who to serve food to. That being the case, then religious folks are just making up their own rules (always have) to justify treating others poorly.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 1:17 p.m.

Let me say first people should always be civil to each other regardless. There is no excuse for anyone being nasty to others. Second this whole so-called LGBT thing is bogus. Ask someone 15 years ago what LGBT meant and you would get a blank stare. The fact is every society discrimnates in some fashion -- companies have a standard, teams have a standard, colleges have a standard etc... You can choose to dress how you want and make other life choices however I don't have to hire you or make a cake for you. I have freedom of choice too. Hatching up a brand for behavior (LGBT) and then screaming foul because people reject the behavior surrounding that brand is not only wrong but dangerous in any free society. I am all for civility and treating all people with politeness even when you have to reject their behavior -- you love the sinner but not the sin and you have the right to say it and legislate it. In a Democacy, the majority wins and that means you may not always get your way. If I live in a city that offends me then I move. Just because I am offended doesn't mean there was any intended offending behavior toward me. It could be that I am the offender.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 1:11 p.m.

"There is no distinction between refusing to participate in a same-sex wedding and refusing to serve a same-sex customer."

But there is, that's the problem! There's a difference between refusing to serve a Mormon and refusing to host a Mormon baptism.

But marrying another man/woman is a decision, as is engaging in an physically intimate relationship. When establishments post "No Smoking" on their doors, does that discriminate against smokers? When BYU says that alcoholic beverages are not allowed, are they discriminating against those who drink? When stores say "No shoes, no shirt, no service", are they discriminating against people?

I agree that LGBTQ should not be discriminated against merely because of their sexual inclinations (like the case with the Lyft driver). It's unfortunate that that kind of stuff happens, and hopefully it's not so common. But shutting down a baker/florist/photographer for not wanting to participate in a same-sex wedding celebration is not the solution and will only make things worse.

• Macfarren Dallas, TX
    Nov. 10, 2017 12:46 p.m.

And from 'pragmatistferlife':

'Oh please. Carrying a gun is a decision, being female, being gay or transgender is not.'

Compare the following from ABC on October 30:

'Actor Kevin Spacey said that he has "loved and had romantic encounters with men" and that he chooses "now to live as a gay man," after being accused of a sexual advance on a 14-year-old.'

So which is it? Is being gay a decision? Spacey seems to think so. It is his currently chosen preference.

• Macfarren Dallas, TX
    Nov. 10, 2017 12:36 p.m.

And more.

'But those familiar with everyday acts of discrimination aimed at LGBT Americans say they're not content to wait.'

True. LGBT Americans have never been content to wait on anything. Originally they only asked that their co-habitating companionships be recognized legally (not as marriage). Then they pushed for marriage. Then they pushed that the subject of gay couples be included in elementary school curriculums. Now transgenderism has been pushed into school curriculums as well. Now those that dare speak out disapprovingly about homosexual behavior are prosecuted, even from the Christian pulpit. So speech has been censured as well.

It was *never* about just being 'recognized' as a same-sex couple. From the beginning it was and always will be about pushing their agenda deep into the roots of American civil society.

• Macfarren Dallas, TX
    Nov. 10, 2017 12:36 p.m.

More responses to more quotes:

'"If every time you walk into a shop, you risk being intimidated, that's destructive. That's the kind of harm we want to end in this society," she said.'

No one wants intimidation, but the shoe is on the wrong foot. The most severe intimidation is coming from Lambda and the very real threat of legal sanctions which have put the bakers out of business. The gay couples pressing charges can prove no lasting harm or intimidation as their desired cakes were supplied elsewhere by other retails happy to offer services, and their marriages went forward with all the desired frosting.

• Macfarren Dallas, TX
    Nov. 10, 2017 12:23 p.m.

A few responses to a few quotes:

'"This case is about much more than a wedding cake. It is about the rightful place of LGBT people and their families in the commercial and public sphere," reads a brief from legal scholars concerned with the constitutional rights of children.'

True, we should absolutely be concerned about the constitutional rights of children, but it has nothing to do with cakes. Rather, it is the unequal and unnatural situation created when when their mother chooses to live with another 'mother,' and or their father chooses to live with another 'father.' Who is in defense of the rights of children then?

False. All the bakers in question have indicated they are happy to provide products to people of all backgrounds. Cookies, cakes, strudels, and the like, and have done so for many years, so clearly they do not 'object to' their gay customers. The objection is limited to supporting an personally objectionable practice (gay marriage), not the persons themselves. This is a straw man created by Lambda.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 12:07 p.m.

@drich - Nov. 10, 2017 10:01 a.m.
    Your decisions have consequences, live with it good or bad.

---------------

Very true, and that's something Jack Phillips (Masterpiece) should have realized before he/it practiced prejudicial discrimination contrary to the provisions of Colorado law.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 12:04 p.m.

To "Impartial7 " won't history be harsh on the gays that forced people to lose their Constitutional rights? When religion has to go underground due to militant gays and other groups, will that be a great day in history?

To "Baccus0902" lets make this personal for you. Would you go along with a law that says you can only day somebody that is the opposite gender as you? If you wouldn't go along with that sort of law, why would you support laws that force people to act contrary to their religious beliefs?

To "pragmatistferlife" but according to liberals your gender or sexual orientation is a decision. If it isn't a decision, why are there more than 2 genders?

• sharrona layton, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 11:43 a.m.

@NoNamesAccepted . Nobody should be turned away over race, sex, “sexual orientation,”
    Where do you draw the line?
    Leviticus 18:23 “Do not have sexual relations with an animal and defile yourself with it. A woman must not present herself to an animal to have sexual relations with it; that is a perversion.”

• Thomas Thompson Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 11:45 a.m.

If this case is decided against the baker, I suspect this case will be decided 5-4 with the same judges voting in favor of the result as in the Obergefell case. This would be an unsurprising result.

• OlderGreg USA, CA
    Nov. 10, 2017 11:42 a.m.

I would be a big time fool to hire any artisan, customizer, (whatever) that was not enthusiastic about my project.

Unless, of course, my purpose involved some agenda, be it lawsuit money or PC grandstanding.

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    Nov. 10, 2017 10:52 a.m.

Militant Homosexuals run around looking to harass and harm Christians. This is a fact. By giving them the legal tools to do so, the left is waging war against Christianity (note how none of these anecdotes are about Muslims--the left doesn't care about Muslims killing gays).

This is nothing more than Animal Farm: "All Americans are equal... just some Americans are more equal: the LGBT!" Colorado already ruled that LGBT bakers don't have to serve Christians... but Christians must serve LGBT people.

The consequences of this case are simple: If it's granted, Christians are pretty much enslaved to whichever gay walks through their door. We lose the freedom of contract. A contract is a "meeting of the minds." Under this LGBT law, it's more "We dictate, you be slave." If you cannot say no to someone or else, you are their slave, plain and simple. And the left, the party of slavery, is eager once again to have slaves.

You want to compare to civil rights? What is the difference between an LGBT person forcing a Christian to work for him or her, and a slaveowner? Both demand with no thought for what the worker wants, and punish if not done. Democrats: Slavers indeed.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Nov. 10, 2017 10:44 a.m.

"Gun owners face this threat daily. End the discrimination."

If I were gay, that would harm you how? You carrying a gun proves grave danger.

Whether I think concealed carry permits should be allowed or not doesn't change the ridiculousness of comparing discrimination against a human because of who they are and me not wanting you to have deadly force in my work place.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    Nov. 10, 2017 10:40 a.m.

Ms. Dallas and Deseret News, thank you very much for a very well written article.

As a gay man and overall as a citizen, I don't enjoy the idea of a baker or anybody else going out of business for any reason. Much less if the business fails because of the owners retrograde and malicious notion.

I think the law is simple and clear, if you sell wedding cakes and you know the market, heterosexual and homosexual couples, then you should be prepared to adjust to the needs of the market.

I am afraid that if the SCOTUS were to rule on favor of the baker, it would open the gates for a multitude of discrimination cases based on phony claims of deeply felt religious beliefs.

Nov. 10, 2017 10:25 a.m.

Good grief. Did we learn nothing from the 50's and 60's?
    History paints the racists during the civil rights movements as the bigots that they were. History will be equally as harsh on those that discriminate against the lgbtq people today.

• drich Green River, Utah
    Nov. 10, 2017 10:01 a.m.

Your decisions have consequences, live with it good or bad.

Nov. 10, 2017 9:53 a.m.

Small businesses should serve all customers. Nobody should be turned away over race, sex, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, union membership or non-membership, marital status, having children with them, or lawful possession of a firearm.

I've been fortunate to live in a location and era where I've never seen any "Help Wanted; Irish Need not Apply" signs; no "Whites only" signs or separate facilities for "Coloreds". My daughters have received equal or even more encouragement to pursue STEM subjects as did my sons.

But I do see signs excluding law-abiding gun owners/carriers on some businesses.

It is almost impossible to find an employer who won't fire an excellent employee for no other reason than lawfully, peacefully, safely and discretely carrying a self-defense firearm on her person while at work.

Imagine being fired for saying a silent prayer over your lunch. Who would support firing someone just for hugging and giving a quick kiss to his homosexual partner while getting dropped off in the parking lot? What if Democrats were fired just for letting it be known they voted for Hillary?

Gun owners face this threat daily. End the discrimination.