Utah governor calls Steve Bannon a 'Mormon bigot'

• ute alumni Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2017 1:34 p.m.

Vietnam was over when Bannon was eating 3 squares and sleeping in a bed ever night. Nice try Bannon. My war hero.

• Edmunds Tucker St George, UT
    Dec. 9, 2017 12:36 p.m.

"be more than happy to sit down with Mr. Bannon and help him understand more about the LDS Church at his convenience. I’ve got a copy of the Book of Mormon with his name on it." One's judgment is only as good as one's information. Surely read the Book three times, before judging it. Five stars for the book.

• Watcher1 Sandy, UT
    Dec. 8, 2017 4:10 p.m.

Romney is always there to be a Reid clone, and make all kinds of allegations about opponents or possible opponents. He's also always there with people like Herbert to check the prevailing political winds before taking a "stand" or voicing a "position" on any particular issue. That's why he's so loved in Utah . . . he has that knack of knowing exactly what people (and particularly sanctimonious people) want to hear, and he's oblige them every time.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Dec. 8, 2017 9:40 a.m.

I know 'Mormon bigots' and Bannon is not one. Maybe an anti-Mormon bigot, but definitely not a Mormon bigot. Just look around you, if you want to see one. . .

• Jim Chee Ka'anapali, HI
    Dec. 7, 2017 4:47 p.m.

Part 2 of 2

Roy Moore graduated from West Point in 1969, served in several posts as a military police officer, including Fort Benning, Georgia, and, Germany. He was later deployed to Vietnam, serving as the commander of 188th Military Police Company of the 504th Military Police Battalion. He was not popular with those he commanded and was fearful of being fragged by his own men, sleeping with sandbags under his bed. Although he did not serve in combat against North Vietnamese and Viet Cong fighters, he did have his own private war with those in his own military police unit.

Donald Trump used a bogus excuse, obtained from a doctor his father retained, saying he should not be drafted because of "bone spurs", a problem easily corrected through minor surgery. Although it did not detain him from his usual activities in the New York dating scene, Trump often remarked that he fought his own Vietnam avoiding getting sexually-transmitted diseases during these dating days.

The point of all this is that Bannon's criticism of Romney for not serving is hypocritical at best. Criticizing Romney's children for not serving while excusing Trump and his children is just partisan nonsense.

• Jim Chee Ka'anapali, HI
    Dec. 7, 2017 4:39 p.m.

Red Smith - American Fork, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 4:07 p.m.

"Stever Bannon is making the statement that putting one's life on the line
    is an act of integrity.

Although Steve Bannon served in the U.S. Navy (first as a surface weapons officer on a destroyer in the Pacific and then as special assistant to the Chief of Naval Operations at the Pentagon) in the late 70's and early 80's, he did not serve in wartime. We can honor him for his service, but at no time did he go in harm's way.

It needs to be noted that Bannon also benefited from college deferments during the height of the Vietnam War and hence avoided military service until it was no longer a threat. He joined the U.S. Navy as an officer after he graduated from college and served for seven years.

This is far different from the WWII years when service in the U.S. Navy was as dangerous as that for a marine landing at Okinawa. This in no way detracts from his service, but it was not anywhere near the heroic effort he ascribes to Roy Moore in his criticism of Mitt Romney. In fact, Moore was not a combat soldier in Vietnam and appeared to have more problems with his own men rather that the enemy.

Part 1 of 2

• Liberal On Planet Zion SLC, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 2:18 p.m.

Frank Montoya Jr -

“Glad the governor said something. Hatch's response is similar to those on this page who will say anything to convince themselves that somehow Trump and his ilk are honorable or good or decent. Or even intelligent. All you have to do is read a few of Trump's tweets to know that is an impossibility.
    Or listen to Bannon speak. His comments about Romney reflected not only a lack of character and integrity, but intellectual dishonesty when he said Vietnam-era college deferments (like the kind Trump used) were debatable, but being a missionary, like Romney, amounted to hiding behind a religion. Sounded like the words of an ignorant, factional, small-minded, chauvinistic, biased, sectarian partisan to me”.

Excellent example of a well thought out, highly articulate comment. Low information, enabling faction please take note! Furthermore. Based upon previous posts I believe Mr. Montoya Jr is retired F.B.I...Certain he would not mind shedding some light on factual information while calling out truly fake and illegitimate sources of news (since he is able to speak from firsthand experience) if asked directly. Any takers? Thank you and Happy Holidays!

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 7, 2017 1:57 p.m.

Thanks Governor for showing leadership and a willingness to speak out about a unfair, inaccurate statement. Utah congressional delegations silence speaks volumes about their character. Party before principles for the Utah delegation. Image what they would be saying if a Democrat had said what Bannon said.

• Anti-Trump Everett, WA
    Dec. 7, 2017 1:30 p.m.

Just like he did with Muslims --

Steve Bannon just blew his Anti-Mormon dog whistle loud and clear to the nation in Alabama....

• Alabama Mormon Montgomery, AL
    Dec. 7, 2017 12:37 p.m.

Please remember that Steve Bannon was down here supporting Roy Moore.

Let me step back & address what Elder Oaks has said about Roy Moore (& KY's Kim Davis),
    "acting as public officials they are not free to apply personal convictions, religious or other, in place of the defined responsibilities of their public offices. All government officers should exercise their civil authority according to the principles and within the limits of civil government."
    Elder Dallin H. Oaks, 10/20/2015

Doesn't this say enough about Moore &, by association, Bannon?

If a member of the Quorum of the Twelve speaks against a politician, the politician cannot be good for our country.

Moore's behavior clearly demonstrates that he is against freedom of religion - unless it is his.

Remember, "when morality is involved, we have both the right and the obligation to raise a warning voice. We do not as a church speak on political issues unless morality is involved."
    Boyd K Packer, April 1992 General Conference

God Bless this, the United States

Dec. 7, 2017 12:16 p.m.

Bannon is virtue signalling to an anti-LDS audience to reject Romney's and Flake's attacks on Roy Moore. That is ugly. But hardly unique.

Notice how many regular,posters here, both locally and from across the nation, make a habit of expressing their own very ugly anti-LDS bigotries. For these people to suddenly claim moral outrage at anti-LDS rhetoric is beyond hypocritical. It is a blatant attempt to manipulate LDS the same way Bannon is manipulating his evangelical audience.

The enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend and I dont intend to let any anti-LDS manipulate me.

If Sen. Bob Menendez resigns while Chris Christie is still governor and can appoint a GOPer to replace him, we can talk about Moore dropping out and handing a GOP safe seat to a democrat. Otherwise, elect Moore and continue the investigation. He can resign "in a few weeks" (like Franken claims he will do) if there is sufficient evidence. Just lime,Franken and Conyers, the resignation at thst point won't cost any partisan advantage.

Goose and gander. GOP can no longer afford to play a differnet set of rules than the Demos do.

A race to the bottom is sad. Losing our constitution is worse.

• maclouie Falconer, NY
    Dec. 7, 2017 10:32 a.m.

@David - Centerville, UT

Romney's recent statements has assured me I will not vote for Romney. I did in 2012 but no more.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Dec. 7, 2017 10:01 a.m.

I wondered how long it would take before Bannon or any other luminary in the reaactionary GOP circles would begin the attack on LDS. It seems destiny.

trump's Bannon inspired campaign found ways to demonize "the other", which inspired fear and loathing on the part of millions of Americans. It is clear to me that manufactured fear and loathing drove otherwise sensible people to vote for the most uniquely unqualified and unfit President this country has ever seen.

So maybe the LDS faithful, and the very structure of the church hierarchy, should reconsider their blind obeisance to Republicans. You may be the next victim of the cultural xenophobia that has infected the country. And think about why a party goes out of its way to scapegoat the least of us. And what this ultimately leads to.

Think about it.

• Peter1 North Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 9:17 a.m.

There is no freedom of Religion without Freedom of Country.
    President Monson, Eyring, and Uchtorf. All served their country in the Military. As well as many Prophets did along with serving a mission. That attack was about Military service not about religion.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 9:07 a.m.

While the governor is correct, he should not fall into the trap of entering a dialog with someone of Bannon's flawed character. The LDS church sets the example of not responding to every insult by fringe elements. Bannon's own words condemn him.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 8:25 a.m.

It is a shame that so many people in the political arena no longer seem to concern themselves with policy differences anymore; but instead focus on personal attacks.

The problem of course, is that it works. Attack your opponent in a very personal way and lots of voters will change their votes. Instead of voting for the 'best candidate' at the election, we end up voting for the 'lessor of two evils'.

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Dec. 7, 2017 7:22 a.m.

It would seem better for Herbert to call Bannon an 'anti-Mormon bigot', rather than a 'Mormon bigot', don't you think. . . However, having said that, Romney asked for the criticism by making his previous comments and he got it.

Mitt has never learned to restrain himself when he could temporarily look good by mouthing off. There are legions of others in Utah who could learn a lesson from this episode.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    Dec. 7, 2017 7:20 a.m.

In Vietnam Roy Moore had to sleep on sand bags for fear that his own men would frag him for his reckless behavior with their lives.

Real war hero.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 7:09 a.m.

In my opinion, Mitt Romney was wrong to weigh in on Roy Moore. It as caused an unnecessary firestorm on sensitive issues. He should have known that. Bannon's remarks were crude, but Mitt is at fault as well by jumping in and saying anything. He is not a political figure anymore.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Dec. 7, 2017 7:05 a.m.

The sanctimony is dripping from this comment board. So much holy holy

• Baxters24321 Denver, CO
    Dec. 7, 2017 4:32 a.m.

What Bannon doesn't understand is that Mormons plan their whole lives to serve missions. They start saving money for a mission sometimes before they are born. Mitt Romney serving a mission was not some last minute convenient, sneaky excuse to get out of being drafted. Millions of Americans didn't serve in Vietnam and haven't served in the military. It is absurd to fault the Romney family for being among them. Steven Bannon needs to just go away. Or, even better, people need to start ignoring him.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Dec. 7, 2017 12:23 a.m.

Trump has served this country in many ways:

* provided tens of thousands of jobs for follow Americans.
    * through his success, has provided billions in tax revenues for America.
    * has enriched business trades to improve Americas economy.
    * lowered income taxes.
    * reduced illegal immigration
    * strengthened Americas ability to defend itself.
    * given government controlled lands back to citizens.
    * exposed the dishonesty of many folks, and their corrupt rhetoric.
    * having grit and backbone with correcting wrong doing.

Thank you president Trump and may America be worthy of your leadership.

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:42 p.m.

Romney does not use good judgement. The use of the word "stain" is abhorrent. I wish he would remember he is a representative of the Church in the public venue.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:26 p.m.

He is a dangerous man. He had a plan to rule the country and the world. He needs to be contained. Thankfully, he is out of the White House but still remains dangerous. Bright but dangerous.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 9:40 p.m.

Bannon and the Bannonites will troll anyone viciously to support the Donald. They need anyone they can control when the impeachment drops.

• Kensal Green Fairfield, CT
    Dec. 6, 2017 8:59 p.m.

Bannon may be even more devious than we thought. With his intentionally vicious and offensive statements, he is actually trying to pave Mitt's path to the Senate.

This example of reverse psychology should be known as the Bannon Gambit.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 8:29 p.m.

The Governor is right. But to be consistent, he needs to include Trump in that condemnation.

• estudiante Lehi, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 8:27 p.m.

Romney's commentary proves he is "just totally out of touch with reality." Romney could have prevented the significant damage Obama did to the United States in his second term if he wasn't so worried about tidying up the deck chairs. He hasn't learned from 2012.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 7:59 p.m.

@wgirl - Salt Lake City, UT

We can debate all day who is the worst liar as if it even matters. A liar is a liar.

By your post it infers you voted for Mrs. Clinton because she was the lesser of two evils. Would not it have been better not to vote for either? While I tend to mostly vote Republican, I have never voted straight ticket as I vote for the candidate, not the party. I could not in good conscience vote for either of the main presidential candidates. Something the rest of the voters should also have done.

• Deseret Blue ,
    Dec. 6, 2017 7:53 p.m.

I agree with the guv.
    Keep in mind though, Bannon is still in Trump's corner, despite claims to the contrary. Utah's Republicans need to be more consistent, I say, as Trump seems to do little wrong when he does their bidding (on public lands for example) and when he doesn't play their hand, we rarely hear a peep about it.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 7:40 p.m.

I was in the 1969 lottery and had a low number and was a class away from graduating before my number came up. I did finish while in the Army and graduated in 1972. I finished my career in the Air Force in 1992.

I learned that playing the lottery was sort of like gambling. You win some and lose some. In the Army I was headed to Vietnam and the Army changed that to Germany. In the Air Force as a pilot, I went to Vietnam.

I didn’t ever have a grudge for those that had high numbers. However, I never played any lottery or gambling ever again. I had the opportunity to be in Las Vegas at Nellie Air Force Base many times for 2 Weeks at a time and never gambled.

Remember, George Romney was a candidate running for President of the United States of America. He came back after visiting Vietnam and said he had been brainwashed and the campaign opponents ate him alive.

I am sure Mitt was a very astute person. With a high number in the draft, he had no obligation to serve in the military. He won and served our nation in various honorable positions, paid and as a volunteer.

He is of high intelligence and integrity.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 6:30 p.m.

Didn't Trump, who Bannon supports, use "heel spurs" to avoid serving in Vietnam?

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 6:16 p.m.

Let us forgive all. Happy people united in community will always win. Bannon, Romney and Hatch all born outside Utah, so this is not Utah issue. Surprised our great governor would even need to waste his breath on this one. Let things go. Let us move on.

• Frank Montoya Jr Providence, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 6:10 p.m.

Sounded like the words of an ignorant, factional, small-minded, chauvinistic, biased, sectarian partisan to me.

• Chancey Sandy, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 5:48 p.m.

Mormon politicians come in every political stripe. Isn't the highest ranking ever Harry Reid? Wiser than I has said that there is good in each party platform. Probably bad too. We always find ourselves choosing the best choice, not always a good choice. It seems like in Alabama there are only two choices and for Republicans at least, both may be bad. Bannon's comments are in poor taste, which he is more than capable of. We live in a highly charged, very divided country, and desperate people do desperate things.

• wgirl Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 5:44 p.m.

@Johninsl - I am happy to admit that I was too young to pay much attention to the Clinton affair. I don't know that anyone could forget the blue dress though.

If the worse thing Hillary did was fight to save her marriage and "stand by her man" that is impressive to me. I remember seeing her at a press conference and thinking about how humiliated she must be. I would have more respect for her if she would have left him. They had a daughter, and I guess it is hypocritical for me to say that I believe that marriage is sacred and then criticize someone for keeping their family together.
    She was more forgiving than I would have been.

And as far as her "disappearing" during the scandal, wouldn't you want to disappear too? Wouldn't you want some privacy at the worst time in your life? I can only imagine how incredibly hard that whole thing was for Hillary.

If 'enabling' is letting your husband spend time unsupervised, then I guess I'm an enabler too.

Hillary wasn't a great candidate. If you think that everyone who doesn't like Trump must love Hillary, I would respectfully disagree.

I thought Bill Clinton was disgusting. I wasn't going to vote for a man just as bad as he was.

• BigAlAvenger Summit, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 5:28 p.m.

Romney said a lot of things during last years campaign and election which I did not agree with. He has had a lot to say during the past year since the election which I do not agree with. I believe that he is a very moderate, establishment republican. I am a very conservative ex-republican. I am a very devoted LDS person, but his politics do not mesh well with my principals. He seems to dislike the rare politicians that keep their promises. My bigest problem with Romney is he appears to be a carpet bagger. I don't believe he is a Utah resident, as he was raised and lived his life in the northeast US. I am not aware that he has lived in Utah except for some time during the winter olympics.

• chuckster Saratoga Springs, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 5:09 p.m.

Why does Bannon need to attack Romney, and be such a blowhard? Trump didn't serve either, so what? Our country has enough tough problems to deal with without someone continually putting himself in the public eye, trying to stir things up.

• lauralynn1121 Ocean Shores, WA
    Dec. 6, 2017 5:10 p.m.

Tell us something new.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 4:59 p.m.

"The draft was reinstituted because nobody in their right mind was volunteering for the armed services at that time. In the draft including Romney, his number was 300. The highest number drafted from that draft was 195, so he wouldn't have served."

jpc53:

The draft never went away after WWII. The lottery system wasn't instituted until 1970, applicable to those without deferments who were of draft age in calendar year 1971. I can truthfully say none of the fellow low number "winners" that I knew begrudged anybody who was lucky enough to draw a high number or had a legitimate deferment or disqualifying medical condition.

To those here who devalue our service during an "immoral war" (aren't they all?) and doing nothing to defend our country (a la Hanoi Jane), or question why we didn't get a deferment or go to Canada, most of us were proud to go and do our patriotic chore. If that makes us war-mongers in the eyes of some, so be it. But the real war-mongers were the politicians who, without a clearly defined goal to either win or get out, got us there in the first place. It wasn't those who served their country by answering its call.

• 3grandslams Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 4:50 p.m.

Bannon is not a mormon. He is a bigot, he is disgusting, mis-informed and desperate.

And by the way my vote for Trump was forced by the other option the liberals offered, supported by the hatred the media would have for him. I knew Hillary would get off free win the White House (See Benghazi, emails, whitewash, scrub, hammer and a phone...Bill)

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 4:48 p.m.

The Governor didn’t call Governor Huckabee a bigot when he and the evangelicals were saying similar phrases about Governor Romney during the 2012 Presidential election campaign.

However, it is disgusting that Senator Hatch is basically supporting Roy Moore who Steve Bannon is managing. Bannon is trying to get the Evangelicals and Freedom people to vote for a woman who allegedly abused and sexually assaulted when 14 years old. They are against abortion more than child abusers.

Many women that are sexually abused or raped if under age have abortions. They don’t want to have the baby of their rapist be part of their lives.

Victims and spouses of the abusers and rapists have a hard life to live.

Senator Hatch has lost Utah values. He hasn’t lived in Utah enough to really know what Utah morality means. In Washington, DC, it is a little different with so many politicals there.

This President got elected shortly after Access Hollywood surfaced. At first, people were offended but the reality of having a Democrat as President pushed good people to vote for Mr Access Hollywood.

Knowing that Russians hacked the campaign and voting processes, people like bigots/alleged abusers.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 4:25 p.m.

"I haven't heard Hillary Clinton bragging about sexually assaulting people. She is not her husband and his actions should not be used against her - she was a victim of his disgusting behavior too."

wgirl:

Au contraire.

Either you are willfully mis-remembering or are too young to know that Hilary closed ranks with other libs when her husband was first accused of sexually assaulting a woman while governor of Arkansas. Hilary quoted Tammy Wynette's song, saying she would stand by her man. And she all but disappeared during the Lewinsky scandal. She was an enabler. Calling her a victim is an insult to the real victims--those Bill assaulted and took advantage of.

• DonO Draper, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 4:23 p.m.

Bannon was playing the Mormon card to get support from evangelicals. He’s a manipulative politician above all else. “Mormon bigot” is one of the nicer things Herbert could have said about him.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 4:21 p.m.

Mitt is a man of unblemished integrity and patriotism.

Although I think his political views are a bit squishy, and his attack on Trump was excessively vitriolic, the attack on Romney is totally unwarranted bullying.

Mitt deserves an apology, and Bannon should never be associated with another political campaign ever.

• One of a Few Layton, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 4:21 p.m.

The governor is wrong here. To be grammatically correct, Governor Herbert is a Mormon bigot. Bannon is just a bigot. He might also be anti-semitic (according to wiki). But I didn't see any mention of religion, so I guess Bannon could be a goshless bigot.

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 4:20 p.m.

Those of us who avoided serving in the Vietnam War used perfectly legal means to do so, including student deferments and deferments for missionary service. (I didn't attend college and serve a mission to avoid the war, per se. That was merely a fringe benefit.)

By 1968, it was quite apparent that the war was a mistake. Who wanted to be the last person to die for a mistake?

Thankfully, Nixon implemented a draft lottery in November 1969. My number 232 kept me from being drafted after my deferments ran out.

I am proud to have been born and raised in Oregon, the state represented by Sen. Wayne Morse, the earliest and most severe critic of the Vietnam War. There are no visionary Wayne Morses among today's Utah congressional delegation.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 6, 2017 4:10 p.m.

And Bannon served during what conflict again? Refresh my memory...... this from the man who couldn't keep married either.... three wives? And he is lecturing us about Romney? This is the man that alt-right conservatives want to shape the republican party? Conservatives can do a lot better than listen to this ....... a lot better.

For a party that is supposed to be about family values.... can't they find a voice that isn't a serial divorce? A man that can honor is martial vows?

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 4:07 p.m.

Steve Bannon did not attack Mormons.

Steve Bannon pushed back on Mitt Romeny's statements.

Mitt nor his 5 sons served in the wars unlike Roy Moore. That was the point being made.

Stever Bannon is making the statement that putting one's life on the line
    is an act of integrity.

• JBs Logan, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 3:40 p.m.

@Patriot
    Both Democrats and Republicans president's were involved in keeping us in Vietnam, so you can't just blame the Dems. Ken Burns' recent documentary explained it beautifully. God bless our troops and their immeasurable sacrifices for us all.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 3:29 p.m.

I think there is a big problem in looking at 'morality' in a very narrow view, with regard to Mr Trump and Mr Romney.

I'm afraid that morality is not all about loose conversation eleven years ago versus being on a mission fifty years ago. I think it is about honesty for one thing and, sorry Mitt, about not listening to gossip-based allegations and pre-judging the accused and being so ready to traduce his character. That is very serious. I can handle the loose talk of 11 years ago and appreciate the hard-working missionary of the Sixties, but it is about now not then.

I think we live in the midst of a good many scribes and pharisees. I dare say Mr Romney has many good points but so has Mr Trump and I see the latter as being a far better man right now.

• illuminated Kansas City, MO
    Dec. 6, 2017 3:27 p.m.

Perhaps Hatch and Romney should look more closely at what the Book of Mormon actually says.

The Book of Mormon talks all about a group of people who built walls around their land to protect it from savages trying to cross the border. It also talks about "king men" in high places who wanted to unlawfully remove a duly elected leader. (Alma chapter 50 & 51). Furthermore, it discusses the danger of secret organizations trying to run governments from the shadows. (Helaman 6:25-26)

It talks about the United States being founded through Columbus by the spirit of God and that it is "a land set above all others", and that it should be protected at all costs. (1 Nephi 13)

The Book of Mormon is a NATIONALIST book about men who wanted to protect their freedoms, families and religion from foreign influence. (Alma 46)

• CMTM , 00
    Dec. 6, 2017 3:25 p.m.

cjb - People who managed to avoid that war did their country no dis-service and they were the smart ones.
    They were honorable,E.g… They left for Canada, they tried to get diabetes, some did, they crossed dressed, they went AWOL
    And “Some folks are born silver spoon in hand Lord, don't they help themselves It ain't me, it ain't no millionaire's son, no It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one, no. (Romeny)was in Paris. I was in Saigon Vietnam .

I was protested, spit on and cursed at San Francisco airport, from the smart ones you like. The great majority of Vietnam Veterans are proud of their service and would do it again.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 3:23 p.m.

There have been some comments that those who don't serve in the military/war are "pathetic." I reject that assertion. There are many people who served in the Vietnam war out of necessity and some volunteered. I honor any who served. It doesn't make those who didn't serve bad people. I hope I'm not "pathetic" because I didn't serve my country in the military. Many incredible people don't serve in the military. There are plenty of bad apples who do or have served in the military. I think we can be a little more nuanced about this topic.

• wgirl Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 3:05 p.m.

@BigJ I agree that politicians lie - but I stand by my assertion that nobody, even our politicians, have done it at the level Trump does. "Obama was born in Kenya...biggest crowd size ever...Obama bugged Trump tower."

Hillary Clinton was a terrible candidate, I did not want to vote for her. However, the Access Hollywood tape was the last straw. I could never vote for a man who spoke that way about women. Never. I haven't heard Hillary Clinton bragging about sexually assaulting people. She is not her husband and his actions should not be used against her - she was a victim of his disgusting behavior too.

Democrats are not the Devil and Republicans are not Saints. Neither party is the end all, be all. As their platforms change, people need to be willing to look at the actions and values of the candidates and vote accordingly. It is not a sin to vote for a person with a D behind their name.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    Dec. 6, 2017 3:04 p.m.

Is this a joke?

Bannon attacks Mitt Romney and conservative Mormons are full-on attack on Romney?

Is this for real? Mitt is a good moral man. Trump is not a moral man. Roy Moore is not a moral man. Mitt is a good man!

What is wrong with you people?

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    Dec. 6, 2017 2:54 p.m.

@ patriot - Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 12:33 p.m.

Wow! I do agree with you.

May be you are more Liberal than you think :)

• Lib on Planet Zion Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 2:41 p.m.

Imsmarterthanyou?

“Would like to know exactly what court has convicted Judge Roy Moore of sexually assaulting anyone? From my standpoint, and the standpoint of the United States Constitution, Judge Moore is to be presumed innocent until proven guilty at a legal trial by a jury of his peers and that conviction must be based on actual evidence. Some crazy woman suddenly pointing a finger and crying sexual assault 30 years ago simply doesn't do anything but raise questions about the sanity and motivation of the woman.
    Accusing someone of sexual assault seems to be the popular way for small cowards to lash out and hurt others in this country of late. I think it should be a felony to falsely accuse someone and the accuser should face the same penalty as the accused should the charge not be proven. That would put a stop to it”.

Deep yawn...Why wasn’t this ideology applied to Secretary Clinton and President Obama? There has already been one comment from a member of the low information demographic mentioning Obama releasing his college transcripts. Talk about a stretch! Blaming/attacking any victims for their courage to step forward regardless of the timing is simply beyond repulsive!

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Dec. 6, 2017 2:33 p.m.

Eh... Bannon was over the top. It was uncalled for, and doesn't help his cause.

@Impartial7 "... Bannon, whom I dislike, is accurate in pointing that out. It doesn't make him a "mormon bigot..."

Admit it, for a moment you had to think about who you dislike more Bannon or the LDS faith.

The enemy of my enemy is temporarily my friend logic eh?

• Liberal On Planet Zion SLC, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 2:32 p.m.

Imsmarterthanyou?

• Joe Leaphorn Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 6, 2017 2:29 p.m.

It used to be that politicians would travel around the country and say different things, make different claims depending on their audience. They might say one thing in the South and say something completely different in the North, and then say something else in the Midwest and West. The only reports came through news stories in the national papers (local newspapers only printed what was said in their particular area) which could be easily denied if necessary.

Today we have video of these political comments and denial usually is not as easy unless one takes the Donald Trump tactic of calling it "fake news" knowing that the faithful will ignore what they have seen and place their faith in whatever Trump tells them. This is also Steve Bannon's approach to speaking before various regional audiences. He gets them all worked up by appealing to their prejudices and bigotry knowing he can call it "fake" whenever it suits his purpose and the faithful will swallow the lie like it was a chocolate mint.

It would be interesting if Bannon came to Utah to campaign for Orrin Hatch and see if he said the same things about Mitt Romney that he said in Alabama. It's doubtful, but some may like it.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 2:19 p.m.

Vietnam was a waste of a war. People who managed to avoid that war did their country no dis-service and they were the smart ones.

• Mad Hatter Provo, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 2:11 p.m.

Throughout the coming 2018 election cycle, every Republican candidate running for Congress (and state legislatures) will be asked, "Do you support Roy Moore?" If more wins a Senate seat in Alabama, the Republican Party will be recognized as the Party that accepted a pedophile into its ranks with open arms.

Donald Trump only walked in on young girls dressing for a beauty pageant. Moore actually stalked young girls and sexually abused several according to testimony by those attacked by the man. The zero tolerance attitude does not appear to include these Republicans, and may extend to all Republicans by association. The Access Hollywood tape elicited outrage by many Republicans, but was short-lived when it looked like Trump would be the Republican candidate. So these Republicans (like those now who have chosen to accept Moore) gave in and choked back the sour taste in their mouths.

Steve Bannon's appeal to anti-Mormon feeling in a Southern, evangelical audience is typical in his campaign style. The sad part of this is that Bannon would probably be welcomed with cheers and enthusiasm in Mormon Utah since he would utilize talking points chosen specifically for that audience.

• Silver Stingray St George, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 1:56 p.m.

I happily went to France on my mission rather than go to Viet Nam. Romney did the same. To say otherwise would be lying.

• Rockyrd Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 6, 2017 1:51 p.m.

I wonder what Bannon’s Service record is. We know about Trump. Had an on been in Iraq or Afghanistan then I would pay more attention to his criticism. Not much more, but more.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    Dec. 6, 2017 1:46 p.m.

Cowards calling Romney a coward?

Go figure.

• Occidentali Los Angeles, CA
    Dec. 6, 2017 1:37 p.m.

Steve Bannon is not a "Mormon bigot." Romney attacked Trump during the critical stages of the campaign and there is no love lost between Bannon and Romney. This is politics. It's not necessary or wise to make a religious issue out of it. Those who oppose and seek to destroy Pres. Trump would have Hillary Clinton be the president.

• Jim Chee Ka'anapali, HI
    Dec. 6, 2017 1:28 p.m.

It is necessary to understand the strategy behind Steve Bannon's comments. He is talking to a Southern, evangelical audience, firm in their belief that they are right and everyone outside their group, wrong and perhaps sinful and evil, standard complaint about their "enemy". In fact, to them, Democrats represent everything they are against. Democrats are slandered as "anti-moral", "anti-religion", and "anti-American". Having been spoon-fed this ideology for decades, they have come to believe it a basic element in their religion.

Also, the appeal of Bannon's words goes far beyond mere politics. It extends to the basic view that Mormons are "the other" and should be condemned as not like them. Evangelicals consider Mormons not be Christian because of the peculiarities of the Mormon faith in their eyes. Just like Muslims, Mormons are outside their world. This is similar to the attitude toward Catholics except where Catholics support some of their world view.

This religious bigotry is central to Bannon's appeal. This for a man who attacks Romney, his family and religion while Donald Trump avoided service with a bogus bone spur claim and his own sons never served. It is all hypocrisy.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 1:25 p.m.

"Romney should have gone to Viet Nam and taken a shot at converting the Viet Cong to Mormonism."

Really? I hope you're kidding. If not, just wrong as usual. You really think Romney's only motivation to serve a mission was to avoid getting drafted? You don't think there could have possibly been any other reason? You really think he wouldn't have served a mission if there was no war?

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 1:21 p.m.

@Imsmarterthanyou
    "I would like to know exactly what court has convicted Judge Roy Moore of sexually assaulting anyone? "

Consider all of the recent sexual abuse allegations from Congress to Hollywood to everything else... almost none of them have any sort of conviction attached to them but there was a huge wave of recent accusations of events years or decades ago. Why? Because after Weinstein people felt more comfortable and less alone coming forward.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 1:18 p.m.

@wgirl - Salt Lake City, UT

Speaking of President Trump you said: "...lies at a level never seen before in our country"

The better statement would be: "lies at the level of many in politics."

The shocking thing is most of you voted for President Trump or Mrs. Clinton. The only difference between the two is their gender. Shame on all of you!

As for Romney... he broke no laws to avoid military service.

• Diego De La Vega South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 1:14 p.m.

I was a teenager and in my twenties during the Vietnam War era. I also remember how The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints made an agreement with the US government regarding the drafting of Mormon boys and men in missionary service during the Vietnam War. Mormons of all ages were shown to serve in the United States armed services and did their own fair share in the conflict. Steve Bannon obviously did not check the facts before shooting off his mouth and demonstrating his anti-Mormon bigotry. This shows why President Trump fired him. Also, President Trump told the news media recently that Mitt Romney was a "good man". I would recommend to Donald Trump, Mitt Romney to serve as Secretary of State if Rex Tillerson resigns from that post.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Dec. 6, 2017 1:12 p.m.

How was serving in Vietnam defending America?

Was it worth the expense and lives of our nation?

• Daedalus, Stephen ARVADA, CO
    Dec. 6, 2017 1:10 p.m.

Lest we all forget, Bannon was the architect of Trump's domestic policy. And although he was pushed out during the middle-school drama of Trump's first few months, Bannon remains indistinguishable from Trump in terms of tactics and ideology. They are the face, heart, and soul of the current Republican party.

It was inevitable that Trump or Bannon would get around to isolating Mormons/LDS as "The Other" if and when it made sense to work up the GOP 'base' into a lather. Utah is a long way from Alabama, and for all the blather about religious freedom, for certain Christian sects in the Bible Belt, LDS is a long way from what they consider to be Christianity.

This is deja vu all over again.

Trump used African American football players as "The Other" at the rally for Moore's primary opponent, Luther Strange. At the time, only a handful of players were quietly carrying on Colin Kaepernicks's silent protest during the national anthem, with little fan-fare and zero relevance to the Strange-Moore contest. But they were an easy target to rile up the emotions and resentments of a largely White audience in the Deep South.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 1:08 p.m.

GaryO: " I’m still waiting to find out why Trump refuses to release his income tax returns. What is it he’s hiding behind?"

Did you ask the same questions when Obama refused to release his college transcripts? Or when Hillary refused to release the emails that were under subpoena? Or when the FBI refuses to turn over information about its investigation of Hillary? Or the DNC when it would not let law enforcement examine the server that was hacked?

There is probably something in the tax returns that Trump does not want us to see (or at least give the press some more ammo). Like every politician, he does not want us to know certain things about his private life. Some things we have the right to know, others we don't.

Until you are willing to condemn leftists for doing the same thing and automatically suspect that they are hiding some kind of criminal behavior every time they won't turn something over; then your calls for only Republicans to turn everything over is just hypocrisy.

• Liberal On Planet Zion SLC, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 12:52 p.m.

Oh the irony! Unfortunately, the low information, enabling, apologists have absolutely no idea that the Supreme Leader’s right hand man is attacking their own religion at the attempt of defending a child predator! Possibly now you are aware the feelings of those which are Muslim? Then again just read the comments which still offer unwavering support. Country before party comrades! Thank you and Happy Holidays!

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 12:46 p.m.

I would like to know exactly what court has convicted Judge Roy Moore of sexually assaulting anyone? From my standpoint, and the standpoint of the United States Constitution, Judge Moore is to be presumed innocent until proven guilty at a legal trial by a jury of his peers and that conviction must be based on actual evidence. Some crazy woman suddenly pointing a finger and crying sexual assault 30 years ago simply doesn't do anything but raise questions about the sanity and motivation of the woman.
    Accusing someone of sexual assault seems to be the popular way for small cowards to lash out and hurt others in this country of late. I think it should be a felony to falsely accuse someone and the accuser should face the same penalty as the accused should the charge not be proven. That would put a stop to it.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 12:33 p.m.

I suspect Romeny did use all sorts of influence to avoid VietNam so Bannon is probably correct...but in this case I would have done the same thing. I honor every soldier who served in Nam -- my neighbor when I was young lost their son in Viet Nam. Nam was a living nightmare created by uncaring politians (Democrat's in this case) that no 19 year old kid should have ever been subjected to. It is weird but I honor the soldiers who fought and I respect the protestors as well. WWII was totally different in that we were attacked and our very existance was on the line as a nation against the Nazi war machine and Japan emperor. We had to fight and my dad did and received the purple heart while fighting in Italy against the Germans. I don't like to criticize anyone for Viet Nam whether they fought or protested. It was a bad war that should have never been.

• JBs Logan, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 12:23 p.m.

Steve Bannon is such a wonderful example to us all...of what not to say, do, or be.

Dec. 6, 2017 12:20 p.m.

@eastcoastcoug: "I'm so disappointed to see so many LDS and BYU people coming to the defense of someone who's quite credibly accused of sexual molestation of young girls"

"Credible" is up for debate. Moore denies the allegations. His wife supports him. His life the last 20 years has been under a microscope and these kinds of allegations never surfaced. There are some contradictions and obvious partisan motivations in the allegations and the timing of release.

I'm disappointed to see so many who object to injecting religion into politics suddenly injecting religion into politics as a reason to pillory those who pick one less than perfect candidate over a different less than perfect candidate.

Neither of us know whether Moore molested anyone.

We do know, however, that his Democrat opponent is fully supportive of legal elective abortion on demand. The immorality of elective abortions is not open for debate among LDS, and Elder Oaks "Weightier Matter" article in the Ensign should pretty much close any claims of "agency" being a valid reason for being politically pro-choice.

Elect Moore finish the investigation and expel if appropriate. Don't reward partisan media.

• wgirl Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 12:16 p.m.

I wish I could say I didn't see this coming...

Mormons are an easy target. Trump and Bannon both know that. Republicans know how most Evangelicals and the majority of their 'religious right' base feel about Mormons. They are going to feed that hate and use it to their advantage. That is what they do.

This is the problem with looking the other way when these men were attacking other groups and other people. This is the problem with justifying a vote for a man who is an adulterer, a fraud, brags about sexual assault and lies at a level never seen before in our country. Utah's votes went to Trump.

I remember a story from my Sunday School days about a boy that was convinced to pick up a snake and carry him up a mountain. When they got to the top, the snake bit the boy. He cried out in pain, "how could you do that to me? I was your friend!" The snake replied, "you knew what I was when you picked me up."

• jpc53 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 12:15 p.m.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    Dec. 6, 2017 12:08 p.m.

Hey Craig Clark -

Re:

"Gary O,
    "Did Romney hide behind his faith to avoid serving in Viet Nam?"
    ____________________
    It’s a fair question but it’s just as likely that Mitt was sincere. I’m still waiting to find out why Trump refuses to release his income tax returns. What is it he’s hiding behind?"

As for what Trump is hiding . . . He's hiding as much as he can.

But I bet Mueller has an idea about what is in those tax returns though.

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 12:06 p.m.

Bannon and Trump are the ideal and perfect disciples of Jesus Christ. They are so Christlike! I wish we can all be like them, and what a wonderful world this would be.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:59 a.m.

To be fair, Mr. Bannon is not just a Mormon Bigot. He has a wide range of bigotry . . .

• MrLogic Brigham City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:56 a.m.

Bannon's a professional internet troll. Why give any weight to his comments?

• cptbronco Boulder City, NV
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:55 a.m.

I am trying to figure out how one can equate serving a mission as hiding behind a religion to avoid military service??? Obviously there was a caveat in the draft that precluded individuals from the draft if there were in religious service. So are they trying to say that an individual should give up their service to God to serve their country? So then they are ridiculing an individual for choosing God over Country? Was Romney still eligible for the draft after he came home?
    This accusation is ridiculous, and to show contempt to Romney's sons for not serving is equally ridiculous! Unless that is the litmus test that all politicians need to be measured by, their military service. If that were the case then many of our politicians would be under the same stain. Our country could not sustain the scrutiny. The premise is flawed, and completely wrong. I am confident that citizens of the U.S. can see this, and it is too bad that he is able to get as much press as he does.
    I would like to say that I am very grateful for those that do serve, and their service is priceless, I am proud to say that my daughter is included in that group.

• Fabled Soul Provo, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:53 a.m.

Whenever someone calls Herbert a name, the gov call them out for incivility. Now, the gov calls Bannon a bigot, and he gets a pass. Hypocracy at work.

• JBs Logan, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:48 a.m.

People say things and have attitudes about Mormons they'd never get away with if it were another minority. That being said, Governor Hebert doesn't need to defend Romney and his family. He didn't change anyone's minds.

Herbert's vehement defense would be so much better used to target vile behavior toward women, or against an accused child molester, or a commander-in-chief who behaves poorly. Where is all the outrage against that? His silence speaks volumes.

• Fabled Soul Provo, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:45 a.m.

Never thought I’d vote again for Hatch, but Herbert and Romney have made me enthusiast of another Hatch term.

• BlueMoonOden Wilmette, IL
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:45 a.m.

Politics as usual. But since the last election in particular American politicians are sinking lower and lower. I recall the days when our nations elected officials were statesmen who worked across the aisles; as each party strove to make America a better place. Now it is worse then a civil war; mudslinging, personal attacks resulting in a country that is literally splitting apart.

• SAS Sandy, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:42 a.m.

Glass houses, sir. In particular, one glass house. In Manhattan. With "TRUMP TOWER" written on the side.

(How are those bone spurs treating you, Mr. President?)

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:39 a.m.

When Romney was of age to serve in Viet Nam, there was no all volunteer military. The draft was well in place. With that said and as someone who served during that time, I do not begrudge Romney nor anyone else who followed their conscience and did what they felt was right for them, including serving a mission. Bannon is way out of line, especially since his buddy Trump had no excuse. At least a mission was a worth alternative. And before the uber left jumps on the band wagon, can you say "Bill Clinton."

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:20 a.m.

I'm so disappointed to see so many LDS and BYU people coming to the defense of someone who's quite credibly accused of sexual molestation of young girls (doesn't matter if it happened yesterday or 700 years ago). Waiting for some court to decide is just an excuse. If you don't get how this is a 'stain' on our party, I'm sorry for you. It's pretty plain when talking abstractly in Sunday School but when we hit Monday and talk politics, suddenly morality is all relative to which side you're on. This is the heart of the problem.

Wrong is wrong, and it's worse when it's our side talking up morality and our standard bearers are corrupt. We can't claim moral superiority on anyone.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:13 a.m.

Gary O,
    "Did Romney hide behind his faith to avoid serving in Viet Nam?"
    ____________________

• Tighty-Whities Draper, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:12 a.m.

I don't often agree with Romney or Herbert, but I would consider a condemnation by Steve Bannon to be a badge of honor. I hope that I live my life in a way that Steve Bannon would find everything about me repulsive.

Dec. 6, 2017 11:11 a.m.

Of course Steve Bannon is an (anti) Mormon Bigot. So too is Gov Mike Huckabee. So too are a lot of southern evangelical, republican voters. And so are a lot of people who routinely post to this forum but today are suddenly defending Romney or condemning Bannon.

None will get my vote.

Mormons are not terribly popular in many, many circles. We never have been, and never will be. We should not expect to be. The scriptures are clear that those who follow God are not going to be popular.

And the fact is, a whole lot of people decided there were far better things to do with their lives than risk or sacrifice them in the rice paddies of Southeast Asia. Some avoided service illegally. Some used perfectly legal means such as college or religious service deferments. Some used family or political connections to get safer assignments Stateside or in other non-combat areas. Many were drafted and served honorably. Some honorably volunteered.

Generally speaking, poor people fought in Vietnam while those with some means tended to avoid that.

The issues of military service during Vietnam or since, need to stop being bandied about as political footballs.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:07 a.m.

@SadSack-
    YOU wouldn't pay attention to him...but the people who disturb me most DO pay attention to him

• liberate Sandy, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:05 a.m.

We have a voluntary military so I don't begrudge anybody for not serving. But the governor and others are going way too far in equating missionary service or any other volunteer service to that of military service. Both are great in different ways but they are far from the same, and the honor of missionary service should in no way be considered an alternative to the honor of military service.

Bannon is a fool and a political opportunist. We can denounce what he says without equating the two. Romney chose not to serve in the military as did his sons, and that's fine. Overall he's spent his time focused on far better endeavors than our current president and his family, who incidentally have also never served in the military (or in any volunteer capacity as far as I can tell).

• mal murray, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:03 a.m.

it is true that but for the mission romney would have been at risk of going to the Nam. So he is technically a draft dodger. plus he missed out on a lot of fun and good friendships. yeah, i would say that bannon is correct.

• CaliCougar American Fork, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 11:02 a.m.

“The personal attacks here, which have no role in really good quality debate on issues, this smacks of good old-fashioned Mormon bigotry. I think that’s what Steve Bannon has demonstrated with his comment. He’s a Mormon bigot,” Herbert said on KSL Newsradio's "The Doug Wright Show."

Isn't calling Bannon a "Mormon bigot" considered a personal attack nowadays?

I'm still hoping for one person in politics today to display some professionalism in just one particular situation, and refrain from the negative counter punching that seems to be the norm today. I think our governor could have handled his words better than the did.

BTW, I'm as far from being a Bannon supporter as one can get.

• byugraduate Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:58 a.m.

Romney attacked Trump for not serving in Vietnam War. Double standard?

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:57 a.m.

Remind me again what Donald J. Trump was doing "while guys were dying in rice paddies in Vietnam."

Sorry repubs - he's your boy.

• byugraduate Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:57 a.m.

So why is it okay for Romney to say negative comments and not get any blowback?

• Florwood American Fork, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:53 a.m.

While Bannon should be thanked for his seven years of military service, it's interesting that he too avoided serving until the Vietnam war was over, using college deferments to complete a degree, THEN signing up. Probably why he suggested college deferments were ok...

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:50 a.m.

I like Steve Bannon, so I'm disappointed in his attack on Romney's faith. Bannon was obviously playing to the Bible-belt evangelicals.

I like Mitt Romney, so I'm disappointed that he characterized a possible election of Roy Moore as "a stain." He was obviously playing to the establishment RINO-types (his constituency). (Surely Romney is aware of "due process." If Roy Moore is guilty as accused, a pox on him! But doesn't it seem odd that in his 40+ years in public life, the horrible accusations being leveled at him were never made earlier? That kinda bothers me.)

I like Orrin Hatch (the poster boy for establishment RINO). But he's stayed well past his prime. The nation will survive, even if Orrin does what he's pledged to do on several occasions, and retires.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:50 a.m.

@Impartial

Bannon isn't 'accurate'. He's way off topic. His own boss DJTrump didn't serve and with far less of an excuse. This is Whataboutism. This was about Moore and his sexual assaults.

This protesting is just so rich coming hours after Trump spent the entire day with the Utah GOP and pretending to be friends. Reminds me of the old story of a man who picked up a snake and kept it warm in his coat until it bit him. And when he protested, the snake said: "You know what I was when you picked me up".

• Joemamma W Jordan, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:45 a.m.

Bannon is Alt-right
    The alt-right as well as the progressive left are religious bigots

• Sad Sack Hurricane, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:42 a.m.

From what I saw of Bannon's performance on TV, he certainly is not anyone that I would pay a whole lot of attention to.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:39 a.m.

RE: "Bannon accused Mitt Romney of hiding behind his LDS faith to avoid serving in Vietnam."

Well? . . . Did he?

Did Romney hide behind his faith to avoid serving in Viet Nam?

I noticed that governor Gary Hebert never actually disagreed with Bannon on that point. And neither have any of the commenters here.

• banliberals Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:38 a.m.

Thanks for showing that you too Gov Herbert are a part of the Swamp!

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:36 a.m.

The Republican establishment has embraced Bannon, Trump, Moore and all they represent for a few fleeting moments of power. Enjoy the sugar high, because the crash is going to be painful.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:36 a.m.

Like many Mormons at the time including myself, Romney should have served in the military and completed a mission too. A lot of us did. In fact, during the Vietnam War the Church put a cap on the number of missionaries called except those who completed or were doing military service. So Mitt did hide behind the Church to avoid military service. And his five sons? No military service? Pathetic!

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:31 a.m.

Moore waves the Bible around a lot but Romney gave two years of his life to the cause of his faith. That doesn’t make either more sincere than the other but how they live their lives does speak louder than words.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:31 a.m.

While I don't agree with Bannon (except that Romney lacks integrity), he did not say anything about Mormonism.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:31 a.m.

"Hey Doc..is that a piece of beef jerky on your desk?"
    "No--that's Steve Bannon's liver."

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:28 a.m.

It's not just Mormon.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:23 a.m.

Bannon's comment was ridiculous, particularly about Romney's sons.

That being said, Romney is not a paragon of integrity.

• Masonmj84 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:22 a.m.

Bannon is simply a political opportunist who is cynically capitalizing on deep-rooted anti-Mormon sentiment among southern evangelicals to garner votes for an alleged sexual predator of underage girls.

And those in his audience can take comfort in knowing that our current president, whom Bannon helped elect, didn’t “hide behind his religion” to avoid the Vietnam War.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:22 a.m.

From my point of view it would seem that Steve Bannon is full of himself. A Republican replica of Democrat Michael Moore.

• David Centerville, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:21 a.m.

Bannon just assured that I will vote for Romney.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:21 a.m.

Correction, Guv.
    We have too many republicans in politics.

• There You Go Again St George, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:20 a.m.

Steve Bannon is Trump's self described Wingman/alterego.

The entire UTAH Republican delegation as well as those who voted for Trump, spent all day Monday praising/saluting 45.

Bannon's comments/attacks... today... prove the love fest Monday was a political mirage.

C'est la vie.

• 1covey Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:13 a.m.

With a 'friend' like Bannon, who needs an enemy ?

• ToddWorley Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:13 a.m.

A vote for Trump is a vote for Bannon. If you voted for Trump, you get to own his longstanding relationship and implicit support for Bannon.

Dec. 6, 2017 10:10 a.m.

Total overreaction by the Governor. Playing the persecution card. Romney did use his mission to avoid Vietnam. Bannon, whom I dislike, is accurate in pointing that out. It doesn't make him a "mormon bigot". (ps- he's not mormon)

• stevo123 Driggs, ID
    Dec. 6, 2017 10:03 a.m.

The interesting thing is Bannon does not seem to attack Senator Lee.