Mormons give Trump highest support of any religious group in poll

• jwils02 Georgetown, TX
    Jan. 19, 2018 12:49 p.m.

To "Redshirt1701"

To your comment "The fact that he is exactly who he portrayed himself as during the election could be considered a sign that he is honorable, again, opposite of the warning in the scripture you quote." This is foolish thinking. Using that logic, a murderer or wife abuser that bragged about their misdeeds, vowed to repeat them and did would be honorable. Was it the admission of sexual assault, the dishonest racial insults (most Mexicans are rapists) or name calling that you found most honorable?

The sad thing is that the church, to its credit, tried to help out the members (via the Desnews), insisting he drop out, 1st time the paper has done that in its history. Sadly most didn't take a hint, and went with partisan feelings, voting for him despite his appalling Kim Kardashian/reality tv character. It was indeed a lost opportunity for some great publicity for the church, to show that our principles are more valuable than politics. Apparantly that wasn't the case for many. You didn't have vote for Hillary, but you couldn't vote for Trump to claim that ground.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    Jan. 17, 2018 6:51 p.m.

To "jwils02" here is the problem with quoting that scripture. If you look at what the LDS prophets have said about collectivist ideals, then Trump (on the surface) is a good leader.

LDS Prophets have stated that collectivism (socialism, communism, Marxism, etc...) are Satan's counterfeit plans. So if Trump is taking us away from collectivism, then that would mean that we are rejecting iniquity.

Before you think I am a Trump supporter, think again. He has many good policies, but his personality is lacking. The fact that he is exactly who he portrayed himself as during the election could be considered a sign that he is honorable, again, opposite of the warning in the scripture you quote.

I urge caution when quoting scripture in these forums because often it is easy to find another scripture that disproves the point you were trying to make.

• jwils02 Georgetown, TX
    Jan. 17, 2018 1:19 p.m.

To my fellow Mormon's that support Mr. Trump:

Mosiah 29: 27.
    27 And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land.

The one thing I will give Mr. Trump, he is not guilty of false advertising. He told us (inadvertently) repeatedly through his campaign that he was a very poor human being, and he has been consistent with that promise.

• illuminated Kansas City, MO
    Jan. 16, 2018 1:42 p.m.

@cityboy
    "Moroni taught to "never give an offense"..."

You're quoting the BoM, which refers to war not harsh language.

Alma 48:14
    "Now the Nephites were taught to defend themselves against their enemies, even to the shedding of blood if it were necessary; yea, and they were also taught never to give an offense, yea, and never to raise the sword except it were against an enemy, except it were to preserve their lives."

Trump has kept us out of offensive conflicts and has done everything he can to build up our military defense just like Captain Moroni.

"Moroni was a man who had faith in Christ - Trump is godless."

Trump has strong faith in Christ. He had Christian parents and attended church as a child. He said, "Nothing beats the Bible". He worshiped God before he was in politics.

"He rejects the poor.... How members of my church can support him is bewildering."

Trump has given millions to the poor over his life. Jesse Jackson agreed.

The BoM has a very strong nationalist msg. It calls America a "land set above all others" at least 10x, that we should protect her and that it was founded by God. Trump espouses these ideals. That's how Mormons support him.

• ksampow Ogden, UT
    Jan. 16, 2018 7:58 a.m.

Mainly Me: " He has been called a bigot, racist, Nazi, liar, deceiver, rapist, pervert..."
    For most of those labels, his own tweets and statements show their relevance..

"Those with out sin throw the first stone!"
    We are not talking about being judgmental of a private citizen . Running for the highest office in the land brings with it the expectation of public scrutiny. In fact, as citizens we have a responsibility to judge our leaders and potential leaders. The Doctrine and Covenants says we should elect "wise and righteous leaders."

Trump has made some good policy decisions, but if we really believe that we could not find a Republican of higher moral character who would push for the same policies (and probably get more of them passed), that is a sad commentary on the state of the Republican party.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    Jan. 16, 2018 6:33 a.m.

I don't think the liberals read this article. It clearly states that LDS members approve of the policies that Trump has enacted, but overall do not approve of Trump's demeanor.

It would have been nice to see a similar poll on Obama. As a person there wasn't much to criticize. He did have his moments that were far from Presidential. However, his policies were at odds with the values of Utah.

• Facts are friendly Sandy, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 2:33 p.m.

Greatest, strongest and fair President since Reagan.

• educanto north salt lake, UT
    Jan. 15, 2018 2:28 p.m.

To the BYU-Alum South Jordan: Trump is not defined by the media, the left, the Clintons , nor Obama. Trump is who he is and he requires no help from anyone else. Trump's achievements are relatively modest. Admittedly he signed the tax overhaul but this was a joint effort of many. Like the ACA the tax plan received no bi-partisan support. Its value and importance cannot be judged until fully implemented. This will require Congress to actually read the bill and understand it.
    Trump's language and behavior should not be excused. Somehow, supporters have agreed to the fiction that Trump is just being himself, therefore he gets a pass. Unbelievably, some supporters attempt to make him a kind of Book of Mormon hero with all of the attendant virtues. Of course all of these comparisons are sheer nonsense.
    Members of the Mormon Church who sustain leaders of integrity and moral purpose and who espouse the virtues of humility, self sacrifice, and love of all men and women cannot possibly support, in good faith, a President of such low character.
    To the Republican Party( the party of Abraham Lincoln) what has happened to you ?

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Jan. 15, 2018 10:39 a.m.

This is the kind of news that makes you want to pull the covers over your head on Sunday morning. It’s “maybe I should start my own religion” kind of news. I personally have not met one LDS person who speaks the way this President speaks—or In favor of the way this president speaks. But if this is accurate reporting, one thing is certainly true—I don’t know my neighbors very well at all.

• Judith Adams Grant Waycross, GA
    Jan. 14, 2018 6:39 p.m.

If Donald Trump never does a single other thing, Mormons should be grateful for his pick of Gorsuch for the Supreme Court. That one thing has probably redirected the path this country was on. He will more than likely be picking another Supreme ct judge and we would be wise to pray he gets that chance. It’s way past time that we had Republican president with a backbone. I don’t care for his crass behavior but I can tolerate it if he governs in the conservative way he has so far . What a surprise that has turned out to be!

• farley Provo, UT
    Jan. 14, 2018 3:25 p.m.

"Mormons like his policies but not the things he does" -- hmmm, like character doesn't matter. "The awful things he does" -- THESE are who he IS. It's not that Trump does some awful things!, it's that he IS awful. That's the problem. In Mormon idiom, it's much, much more accurate to think of Trump as a "wicked King Noah" from the Book of Mormon, more than any other leader -- He's not a Moroni, or a Nephi, or an Abinadi, or an Alma, or an Amulek. There are plenty of heroes, good leaders, role models. But the closest figure to Trump in the Book of Mormon is King Noah. Immoral. Corrupt. Willful. Intolerant. Vile. Profain. -- a pretty good fit, actually. In Trump's view, a real leader. Like praising Putin and Kim Jung Un -- Trump would like King Noah. If he'd only read the Book of Mormon, he could find another leader to praise.

• hobblecreek CA, 00
    Jan. 14, 2018 12:13 p.m.

The whole context of this article makes my stomach churn, my heart heavy and my spirit
    downtrodden. This man' s behaviour runs contrary to every Christian principle I have learned.
    He may adhere to his parties political principles, but he does not in anyway adhere to it's pronounced moral principles. So there is a choice here between faith and politics.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 14, 2018 8:51 a.m.

A highly educated woman in my Stake prayed in Church for then President Obama. As she left the pulpit an older man approached her and said. "I don' know how you could be a Mormon and a Democrat?" She turned and loudly said back to this uneducated old man, "I don't know how you could be a Christian and a Republican?"

She had it right. Being a Christian requires so much more. The GOP is lead by a man of their choosing who exemplifies everything that Christ would teach against.

And we wonder why educated people, and younger millennials no longer believe in their respective religions. Evangelicals overwhelmingly voted for Trump. Mormons still support Trump. Yes, it is impossible to be an honest Christian while supporting this regime. Just like this educated intelligent and active Mormon woman said!

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Jan. 14, 2018 8:28 a.m.

Unbelievable!

Trump, his vulgarity, the poll, and LDS support.

All unbelievable!

• worf McAllen, TX
    Jan. 14, 2018 12:13 a.m.

There's still hope for this country

• Thimk Preston, ID
    Jan. 13, 2018 11:40 p.m.

I am absolutely embarassed by the results of this poll. If a member of the LDS Church supports Trump, that person is not only on the wrong side of history, but on the wrong side of the gospel, in my opinion. I know, we all vote our minds, as it should be. But LDS folk should give some long, hard thought to this one.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Jan. 13, 2018 11:40 p.m.

@Utah Girl

Sorry, but President Trump is NOT an "international laughingstock". Nor is he a "clear and present danger".

To suggest that he could not locate Utah on a map is totally ludicrous.

😁

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Jan. 13, 2018 11:35 p.m.

If the "imperfections" of each of us were made public, there is not one of us that would not be totally embarrassed.

Please think about it.

• my_two_cents_worth university place, WA
    Jan. 13, 2018 11:02 p.m.

“Mormons give Trump highest support of any religious group in poll”

Shame on them.

• MGoodwin Murray/USA, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:20 p.m.

For me as a practicing Mormon it was a simple choice of who I thought was better, and so far Trump has done a lot of things I like. I'm especially happy with his greater support for police than the Obama administration, but that doesn't relate to anything with my faith. I haven't been particularly bothered by his vulgarity or behavior, I gave up on people generally being that way a long time ago. If church members want to agree or disagree, fine by me, we don't all have to be the same politically, if however you want to start judging church members by that, then I think you may need to reconsider who is being judgemental. People support candidates and political movements for a variety of reasons, provided they don't directly violate the teachings of the Church then it really isn't much business

• Captain Green Heber City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:05 p.m.

Not surprised. Donald Trump is doing an outstanding job and we should all be glad he's in the Oval Office! Thank Heaven for a good President!

• Utah Observer West Jordan, Utah
    Jan. 13, 2018 8:13 p.m.

I didn't vote for him or Clinton. But when he was elected, I was hopeful along with many other LDS members that he would reform and listen to his advisers. But Trump is Trump and will never change. As a result, the mid-term elections will change control of both the House and Senate and Trump will quit. Perhaps with Pence in charge, we can get something meaningful done by working together.

If the poll was done about Pence, I can see the validity of members supporting him but not Trump.

• dotGone Puyallup, WA
    Jan. 13, 2018 7:07 p.m.

Wellll, I'm an active Mormon with a bit of a potty mouth, 3 marriages behind me and many foolish mistakes in my life. My life could not comfortably bear the level of scrutiny that those in politics face, but I do try to do better. I try to learn from my mistakes and move on and count on mercy from the Lord. At any rate, I can't really throw stones, so I tend to look on others' sins with some compassion - and actually I hesitate to even label the actions of others as sins. Who am I to judge? I'm a bit of a disaster. But I love the Lord, I'm thankful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ that heals and comforts me and makes repentance possible. I've noticed that some people in our secular society discard religion, but keep the self-righteousness, the shaming and shunning and judging that they objected to in "organized religion". I see it in operation toward the President and his family - and I am on the receiving end of shunning and shaming if I reveal that I voted for him. Elections will always surprise the left, if conservatives aren't allowed to express opinions without being called names.

• GaDawgs Douglas, GA
    Jan. 13, 2018 6:41 p.m.

Utah is like Georgia..... Both states got Scammed.

• rslutefan Gilbert, AZ
    Jan. 13, 2018 5:28 p.m.

Mormon 39%r - my thoughts on Trump would never clear DS's content moderator.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 5:24 p.m.

ABSOLUTELY! He has done a terrific job in his first year. Who else but Donald Trump could have withstood the negativity and constant barrage of the left, the establishment, media, Obama shadow government, Soros and Clinton money and power, and still accomplished so much?!

NO ONE!

Congratulations President Trump! We pray for your safety every day!

• RP888 Layton, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 4:58 p.m.

As a highly stable genius I find this humiliating.

• UtahVoter Spanish Fork, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 4:37 p.m.

This is one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen in print. I keep hanging onto hope that the reality of a Trump presidency will help those in Utah stop putting party over country and/or morals. But then I see data -- however limited the number of respondents might have been -- like this ... sigh.

• cityboy Farmington, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 4:34 p.m.

@ illuminated: What an interesting idea you raise that President Trump brings to mind Captain Moroni. Let's consider that a bit.

Moroni taught to "never give an offense" - there has never been a president that has been so quick to offend. He is an offensive and childish name-caller to anyone who disagrees with him. Giving offense is his stock in trade.

Moroni was a man who had faith in Christ - Trump is godless and to whatever extent he has embraced religion has only been for political purposes.

Moroni raised the Title of Liberty for "our God, our religion, our freedom, our peace, our wives, our children". By his inflammatory words and actions Trump brings us closer to conflict with Korea, with Muslim nations, and isolates us from our allies and the rest of the world. He is a mysogynist, a racist, a bully, a prodigious liar, an egotist and a billionaire elitist.

Trump is more like a Zoramite. He is prideful, haughty, rejects and excludes the poor, caters to the rich and is someone whose actions and speech are contrary to Christ's teachings. How members of my church can support him to an extent greater than any other religion is not only disappointing to me but bewildering.

• jparry Provo, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 4:26 p.m.

See if this "Sodom and Gomorrah" reasoning sounds right (very roughly sketched here):
    1. Many Mormons see extensive moral decay, loss of faith; we live in the days of Sodom and Gomorrha.
    2. A "Sodom and Gomorrah" society creates moral chaos and eventually provokes God's destruction; Mormons, therefore, have much reason to fear.
    3. Americans, and many Mormon Americans, believe that government exists, first and foremost, to protect us. Protection trumps (pun intended) all other government roles, including, as we have often seen, even the very civil and individual rights emphasized in the Constitution.
    4. Motivated by fear, believing in government protection, no longer remembering how government has typically not protected them, post WW2 Mormons are strongly attracted to protective government (and military--e.g., Captain Moroni). In reality, they are weak believers in democracy.
    5. Pres. Trump talks the strong protector talk, exploits (distorts) the relevant fears the religious right has, and is a very attractive protector not inspite of his brutal approach, but because of it (wish he wouldn't tweet, but kind of like it that he'll take care of the problem quickly and effectively).

• the last to fall Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 3:53 p.m.

@just kidding right?

You feel the sampling size is too small of a number to adequately represent the entire LDS population of the US. Per the LDS Church's website the total church membership in the US is 6,592,195. The sampling size of LDS church members that needed to be queried in this survey in order to say with a confidence level of 95% and a margin of error of 3% that 61% of Mormons feel Trump is doing a good job = 1848.

On the other hand, with a confidence level of 99%, a sample size of 2200, a total population of 6,592,195, and a percentage of 95% (i.e., 95% of those sampled responded definitively to the question), there is a 1.2% margin of error in the survey.

Hence, the survey sample size is more than adequate to draw the conclusion that the survey is statistically sound and the results have a high level of confidence with an acceptable margin of error. Yes, sadly 61% of US Mormons - almost 2 out of every 3 - believe Trump performed acceptably in 2017. Extraordinary evidence that Mormons blindly vote for and support the (R) behind anyone's name, and that they don't, can't, or refuse to recognize how he embodies EVERYTHING their doctrine preaches against.

• twinkleberry67 Layton, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 3:51 p.m.

Who in the world did they ask? I don’t know anyone in the church that either voted for Mr. Trump or has a different opinion than that of Mr. Romney. I am most skeptical about what I hear about anybody anymore. If the media decides they don’t like someone, they will stop at nothing to destroy reputations and assassinate character or if they do decide they like someone, they will deify them to the point they can do no wrong and this treatment is irrelevant as to what the individual is really like. Mr. Trump appears to be doing his job, but I wish he would get a grip on his tweets.

• educanto north salt lake, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 2:20 p.m.

Trump is the leader of the Republican party and regardless of his awful behavior and his less than thoughtful policy positions, he is not being challenged by the Republican Party in either the Senate or the House. He even has big supporters like Senator Hatch who consider him to be the greatest president in his seven terms of experience. Mormons are overwhelmingly Republican and conservative. It is no surprise that a majority of them will follow their leaders. And a final note--Trump as Captain Moroni ?
    Oh My !!!

• Instereo Eureka, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 1:51 p.m.

I think this is really sad for the LDS faith. I know I go to the LDS Church and basically stand against Trump because somebody has too. I also fully understand that you can't really change anything in the church unless you are a part of it. It's also sad because it's easy to reject his style but his politics is harder for many to reject and yet that is where the real damage to our country is happening.

• just kidding right? West Valley City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 1:31 p.m.

To indicate that Mormons as a whole are a great national support to Trump based on 2200 responses from Mormons is a very poor and irresponsible misrepresentation. Such a very small sampling hardly represents the many Mormons of this country.

• St George Guy Washington, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 1:27 p.m.

Well this LDS person does not support Trump at all. He has no morals at all. If the poll is accurate it makes me embarrassed for our LDS community. He seems to represent the opposite of our values in every way.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    Jan. 13, 2018 1:02 p.m.

Those with out sin throw the first stone!

This President and his family have been belittled, mocked, lied about and have many death threats each and everyday. He has been called a bigot, racist, Nazi, liar, deceiver, rapist, pervert, not to mention all the profanities everyday spoken about him by other so called up standing individuals. No matter what he does or says weather good or bad he is constantly portrayed as the worst human being alive.

However he was instrumental in releasing the Bundy's (LDS) who were being torchered in jail. He helped pardon Sheriff Arpaio and gave a chunk of land back to the state of Utah.

He does not get paid for his job, he gives it all to charity even though he gets insults and death threats everyday, day in day out. He has put into law one of the most fairest tax packages there has ever been.

Don't get me wrong he should use better language. And I'm all for helping people but can this country afford to help all these immigrants. There may be a way to help but many Americans would have to be willing to take pay cuts in order to job share with them. This means many American's would have to cut back on buying luxuries.

• Baron Scarpia Logan, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 12:45 p.m.

What's sad is that this poll suggests that Mormons will support anyone as vulgar as Trump -- from his racist comments to his extramarital affairs to his foul mouth to questions over his mental health (constant repeating of himself over and over about "no collusion") to his lies to his mistreatment/comments about women -- simply because he's not Obama.

Perhaps the real questions should have been: How many Mormons are actually proud of President Trump? How many Mormons want their sons to emulate President Trump? And how many Mormons would want their daughters to work closely with President Trump?

Honestly, my guess is very few.

• Light and Liberty St George, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 12:44 p.m.

This poll gives me hope for Utah and Mormons. They can actually can see through the liberal hype and media bias and make their own decisions about who to support or not support.

I support Trump with all the good he has accomplished in office, not for his personality quirks or faux pas. If Hillary had been elected, Socialism would have further eroded what was once a great country. Thankful that there are those that still believe in America and all of our 'unalienable rights', most of which were marginalized by our former president. I find it ironic that so many people attacking Trump are the very ones who would do away with Constitutional rights and principles that have allowed America to become the greatest country in the history of mankind. This country is greater than Trump or Obama! Neither of them could destroy America. That means it is the common man and women that will either cause it to fall or rise. America will not fall. The least Trump could do is to make government more responsible and get our economy moving. I don't want him or Obama trying to solve anything else! Just give me my constitution and my unalienable rights.

• annewandering oakley, idaho
    Jan. 13, 2018 12:37 p.m.

It was always hard for me to understand the wheat and tares parable as regards the Saints in the last days. How could a people who believe in the church who has a prophet with revelation to guide it? How can a people who receive the gift of the Holy Ghost on baptism become the tares? When we give our trust to a man who personifies evil and is against every single virtue we espouse then it appears that the prophesy has come to pass. A sad time to live in.

• The Kokorite Apollo Beach, FL
    Jan. 13, 2018 12:23 p.m.

Donald Trump is the best president this country has ever had. So he isn't PC?! Remember my fellow Mormons, we elected a PRESIDENT, not a PROPHET. Quit being holier than thou and being offended by words, and see the amazing things Trump has done for this country.
    -All time record stock market on near daily basis
    -90% of ISIS destroyed
    -Unemployment at 17 yr low
    -African American unemployment at all-time low
    -God loving US Supreme Court pick
    -Illegal Immigration down 67%
    -Biggest TAX CUTS in US history
    -Wall prototypes have been built
    -2 million surplus of new jobs
    -Companies coming back to the US
    -Veterans getting the care they need over illegals
    -Has cut over 200 Obama regulations on economy
    -Got rid of Individual Mandate on Obamacare (fee for not signing up)
    -North Korea and South Korea in peace talks
    -Better business deals, especially with China
    -Billions of dollars invested in economy
    -Military growth biggest ever
    There is so much more.
    And he is doing it all for FREE. Only president ever to not get paid.

Stick with Trump, or else sell your country out to a liberal who wants men in girls bathrooms, and refugees from terror-filled nations that will cost YOU money. TRUMP 2020

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 12:03 p.m.

Last administration put transgender bathrooms over emphasis to helping the poor, and it was tragic and sad. Religious freedom will benefit the poor. Scriptures over law suit nation. Bible believing states will always win. Always.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Jan. 13, 2018 11:09 a.m.

I have always been told that you can judge people by the company they keep.

I suggest that the company the majority in Utah keep is not particularly complimentary when it comes to the president.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 11:00 a.m.

I’m not surprised by this at all after living here for 40 years and marrying into a family with many Mormons. My wife and our kids simply no thanks but tell them if they really want to become enlightened and have a grown up discussion feel free to come and talk.

• goodnight-goodluck Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 10:57 a.m.

You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time.
    Mark Twain

• Frank K Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 13, 2018 10:48 a.m.

That's embarassing! One of those things that are difficult to explain to non members : we believe in being honest, benevolent but when is about Trump we give him a pass.

• bamafone Salem, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 10:46 a.m.

Most Mormons support a free, prosperous and safe nation, therefor they support Trump's agenda. Simple as that. The rest most likely haven't cracked open the Book of Mormon in a while lol. If you disagree with Trump, thats ok, but if you hate him, well, time for some introspection.

• MBB Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 10:43 a.m.

Sometimes I wonder if we are reading the same Book of Mormon or listening to the same gospel teachings. Everything I've been taught in church goes against what Trump is. There is no way, in good conscience, I could ever support Trump. There is no rationalization or justification that will take his stink away. I don't care what so-called "policies" he helps pass through. I don't care how bad the other side is. I take comfort in knowing there are members (we do exist) who see Trump for what he really is and trust me, he is no Moroni!

• rok Sandy, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 10:37 a.m.

I've already left the republican party because of Trump. Don't have him cause me to have to leave the church.

• Wasatch Al South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 10:33 a.m.

To the reader who wrote: “Trump is a modern Captain Moroni: Either that was a great line of satire or the writer has been sleeping too much in Sunday School.
    I’ll go with satire because if I thought you really believed he is a Captain Moroni, I’d have to run to the bathroom all night to throw up,

I compare Trump to King Noah and the majority of our state congressional members as his priests lapping it all up.

• DonO Draper, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 10:19 a.m.

This is so disheartening. How can people who claim to follow the Savior support someone who behaves in so many ways as His antithesis? Okay, I get that Hillary Clinton was a deeply flawed candidate. But Trump's behavior in office is not worthy of the support of an American, let alone a Latter day Saint.

• Broken Arrow Draper, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 10:18 a.m.

These are probably the same Mormons who think Fox News is a real news source. That's akin to believing that the WWE is real wrestling.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:53 a.m.

I questioned the pole until I remembered Utah returned "Bush/Cheney" back to the White House with the highest per capita approval rating in the nation. Why is this?

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:53 a.m.

It's not necessarily Trump that Mormons are supporting. Mormons are also the most conservative religion. Trump has been doing what he promised he would do during the election. Imagine that. Yes, I also wish he would Not use Twitter so much, but maybe that's his plan as a distraction. Seems to be working as he's been passing some very conservative things that definitely would not have happened if Hillary was in.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:48 a.m.

Not just the highest approval rating, but the highest by quite a bit. This is not faith promoting. Please Deseret News—keep your charts to yourself. If young Mormon kids see this they will stay away fro church in droves.

• DEW Sandy, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:41 a.m.

Please somebody need to turn off Presi....(wrong) Donald Trump Social Media abilities. Keep Mr Trump in the White House and lock him in there and not allow any contact outside of his office for 3 more years. PLEASE!

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:40 a.m.

Trump waltzed into a strong economy. Anybody that doesn’t see that or admit that is being ideological.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:38 a.m.

Having lived 7 different countries in Asia, Europe and Latin America and traveling to over 30 countries and working with United Nations Inspectors from 80 different countries, this message will come to them as the Mormon Church supports President Donald J. Trump and his actions, including words.

They won't separate the words and actions. The countries around the world are questioning our country because of this man, his morals, attitudes, actions, diplomacy or lack thereof.

Even the United Nations Human Rights Commission has spoken out about his comments. Trump is not a kind word in a lot of countries.

Having Ambasssadors from various countries call in the Ambassador, some are Acting Ambassadors as the President hasn't appointed any, and ask the Ambassadors "are we one of these countries that the President is talking about?"

What does this indicate to these countries that we apply to for visas for the missionary effort?

This is a very big concern.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:38 a.m.

@Riley Mendenhall - "Part of the reason Haiti is not desirable is because they were robbed by the Clinton Foundation."

Didn't you mother tell you lying is a sin?

More Russian propaganda. I can hardly believe how easily influenced Trump supporters are. Putin is having a hay-day with you people.

Remember, Putin loves you.

• kolob1 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:31 a.m.

"Comment contained obscenities and vulgarities" Of course it does. The subject is Donald
    Trump's vulgar mouth and his racist attitude. If you don't believe me ask your girl friend Mia Love. You printed her statement which contained the very word "vulgar" in it.

Donald Trump's, the greatest President of the United States statement about Africa and Haita , as reported in every newspaper in the world excepting The Deseret News, is setting a terrible example for the future , especially in regard to the young members. The President of the United States that exclaimed "shole countries " implants a vivid impression in the minds of our young citizens and will , without a doubt, etch his morality on these memories for a lasting result that will outlive him.
    For the Deseret News

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:28 a.m.

The design of this survey is questionable as the President hasn't really established any definite policies. His "policies" are what I would call "talking points".

The implication of this article states that Mormons support him, wholehandedly.

Is that because retiring Senator Hatch called President Trump "the Best President he has ever worked with?"

Senator Hatch is not necessarily a representative of the Church. Mitt Romney isn't in power, but he has criticized President Trump several times in the past two years.

What was the measurement this survey used for what is a Mormon?

What was the intent of the survey?

The Republicans in Utah are not all Mormon. Not all Mormons in other states are Republicans. These aspects along with many others should have been considered when using the term Mormons.

The behavior of this President has been more of a topic over the past year and during the election than his Policies.

What are his policies? He hasn't filled many positions and doesn't necessarily use advisers to establish policies. He uses Tweets to see what the world thinks.

After his comments this week, the world doesn't think too much about any policy.

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:25 a.m.

Re: "Trump ended up winning Utah in the presidential election, but with just 45.5 percent of the vote, his lowest margin of victory across the country . . . "

False. Trump's margin of victory in Utah was 18 percentage points--one of the biggest margins in the country--over 2nd-place finisher Hillary's 27.5%. In fact, Hillary nationally actually won the election by 2.1 percentage points in the popular vote. By voting for McMullin--who had no chance of winning--or Trump, 67% of Utah voters showed they were unwilling to keep Trump out of t he White House.

And although Mormons finished second behind white evangelicals nationally in support of Trump in the 2016 election, it is quite likely that among active, white Mormon voters, the percentage for Trump was very close to the white evangelical support for him.

Jan. 13, 2018 9:25 a.m.

@HSTucker;
    "I wonder if Latter-day Saints support the President because we know better than to be deceived by the virtue signalling shame culture that pervades the entertainment/media/Democrat complex?"

Yes, because mormons are renowned at being able to not be deceived.

• RC in WJ WEST JORDAN, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:22 a.m.

Re: JanH

"I am so ashamed to say I am Mormon right now. PrIor to this guy, I could be proud of the upstanding lds church that helps the disenfranchised."

No one person or party or organization can make me say I am ashamed to say I am a Mormon!

The LDS Church does not endorse this man, it is some members of this church that endorse him. I too am disappointed to think that so many members turn their back on it teachings to embrace this seriously flawed man.

That having been said, I must also suggest that many were deceived.

• Designer123 Centerville, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:18 a.m.

My take on this is different than many on here. I haven’t seen that Mormons support Trump because they think he is the bee’s knees but rather they appreciate many of the policies he’s been part of enacting. Not all policies though, but putting a conservative judge on the Supreme Court was a huge relief for many Mormons, especially after a long 8 years of policies from a president than didn’t seem to really care about some of the core American founding principles whatsoever. I still believe that someone with strong character should have received the Republican nomination but that didn’t happen, and it came down to Trump vs someone many Mormons didn’t care for, so Trump it was. Some voted third party, like myself, but it didn’t really change much. But we have Trump to work with so let’s praise the good and call out the bad.

• search diligently Lehi, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:17 a.m.

I am amazed to see this poll. Open you eyes Mormons. Yes, Republican policies are generally, but not always, better than Democrat policies. But regardless of his policies this guy is a phony and a would be dictator. He is an oppressor of so many and a bully. He is to be loathed by all.

Have the Mormon faith forgotten their own history of Governor Boggs and other self-serving politicians that found it politically convenient to dump on Mormons to be popular with the masses. Hey, Governor Boggs was doing great things to stimulate the economy of Missouri! I don't see Trump as any more moral than Boggs.

• BobThom Lethbridge, 00
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:14 a.m.

It is shameful to support this racist, misogynistic, HATEFUL man. He represents nothing about the values that we as LDS should espouse.
    We should oppose him at every opportunity.
    What does this say about us other than we are prepared to tolerate evil as long as it appears with the tight political label.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:03 a.m.

@ pwlohse - Dueren, 00

You asked:

"As an (sic) LDS I cannot comprehend how members can support someone whose conduct is diametrically opposed to Gospel standards.

Well, hold on then, because there is no such thing a a living perfect man/women, not since the Savior himself walked the earth.

Again, we elect a President every four years and it often comes down to the lesser of two fallen mortals. Pragmatism vs Idealism.

If you think Hillary would have served America more efficiently, then I suggest you seriously look at her record over the last 40 years.

Even as with Church leaders, try to decipher the difference between policies and canonized doctrine.

Trump is a flawed and imperfect man, however, he is the horse we must ride to move America along in a positive way, as opposed to the Nag we could be riding.

memo to moderators:
    A Nag is an old horse in poor condition.

• NotaMO Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:00 a.m.

I think the Mormon disconnect between what they profess they believe in and what they actually do is the root cause for the huge drug addiction and mental health issues we have in Utah. This just proves the really don't care about morals, theft, corruption etc, as long as they get their money.

Mormons, you can't continue to lie to your children when you say that you believe in trust, kindness to others, fairness, charity, and "purity"... and then act like and approve of greedy, amoral liars. Its confusing to your children, They will never learn to trust when what you say does not match up with what you do.

I know they excuse their greed, lies, amoral activities by just saying "we are only human". If you are really human, PLEASE figure out, as a human, what you really believe in and just say it. The truth may set your children free from the pain you cause them and save them from feeling like they have to hide from your confusing disconnect for what your preach and what you do- by using drugs and committing suicide.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    Jan. 13, 2018 9:00 a.m.

Hey Jalapenochomper -

Re: "Trump is hardly the first unrighteous man in government. But without the benefit of a spiritual compass he instinctively understands the Gadianton danger and is attempting to expose them. "

The Gadianton danger?

Ha!

Are you sure the Romulons don't impose a greater danger? . . . How about the Borg?

In all seriousness though, it is the Republicans who impose the greatest danger to America. That is why our "greatest geopolitical foe" has weaponized the GOP.

Our enemies know that Republican leadership harms America more than anything else.

Why do you think Vladimir Putin helps Republicans win elections here?

• kolob1 Sandy, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 8:54 a.m.

You denied my comment because " * Comment included obscenities or vulgarities."
    Just what do you think this article is about. Baptizing an lily pure infant? Mia Love called it vulgar and racist and you printed her statement. Donald Trump is vulgar and Donald Trump is obscene. According to Trump the only person more vulgar and obscene than him is Bill Clinton. He brags about his vulgarity and nonpartisan (not) organizations like the Deseret News that bury their heads in the quicksand will forever be marked with the stain of Trump's vulgarity and obscenity.

• Matt9898 Salt lake, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 8:49 a.m.

Ouch. Well, this should discourage people from immigrating to Utah!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 8:34 a.m.

And for those who say that the other choice in the 2016 election was worse (at least then), that is irrelevant at this point. This isn't about alternatives. It's not about Hillary Clinton, President Obama, or anyone else. It's about approval of Donald Trump. Even if we accept the argument that Trump was the lesser of two evils, that does not mean you need to support and approve Trump in his performance as President. They are two different things. I'm sorry, it appears to me that Mormons embrace Trump, which means they embrace Trump. Rationalizations and justifications made by Monson ring hollow. As a Mormon, and someone who reads and takes seriously the teachings of Christ, I don't get it. Its like whited sepulchres appear beautiful outward but full of dead men’s bones. How many are pacified, lulled into carnal security and say "All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well?" I have non-LDS friends who look at all this and say to me that they have zero interest in joining us. That really hurts.

• HSTucker Holladay, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 8:30 a.m.

The baseless accusations of "racism" over the use of a relatively mild profanity are but the latest example. Using the "s" word isn't racist and no amount of faux outrage can change that.

• Hockey Fan Miles City, MT
    Jan. 13, 2018 8:29 a.m.

Not THIS Mormon!!

• NeilT Ogden, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 8:27 a.m.

Illuminated. Please tell me you are not serious. Trump made a fortune in the gambling industry. He markets alcohol under his name. He is on his third marriage, He frequently uses profanity and loves to pick fights with his critics. He was caught on tape bragging about his sexual exploits. I am LDS and those are not my values. I voted for Evan Mcmullin. Why so many christians and LDS support him is incomprehensible to me. East Coug I second your comments. The hypocrisy in politics is simply stunning to me.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 8:24 a.m.

For me, this is very distressing news. For the life of me, I don't understand the connection with Trump. On a personal level, he is about as far from claimed LDS values as possible. Just see the Wall Street Journal article about Trump. It just never stops. Mormons like that?

Let's talk policies, then. Tax? The recent bill favors the rich and admittedly substantially increases the national debt. He is bellicose and threatens war. He spurns our allies and coddles Putin and other strongmen. He denigrates our national institutions and the Constitution. His lies are beyond reason and his demeanor is un-Presidential. Other than party affiliation, what does he do to move the nation forward? How do his policies line up with the teachings of Christ, or the Church, for that matter?

This paper will never allow an honest and candid discussion on Trump, particularly on the issue of Mormons providing him with his greatest support. But I'll tell you what, in my view, Mormons need to look at themselves and read 2 Nephi 28, and even Matthew 23:23-33. I think the teachings here apply directly to current day Mormons. Support for someone like Trump is proof of that.

• JanH Tyrone, GA
    Jan. 13, 2018 8:21 a.m.

I am so ashamed to say I am Mormon right now. PrIor to this guy, I could be proud of the upstanding lds church that helps the disenfranchised. Instead of putting trust in the one true leader, our Heavenly Father, many sold out to the devil. He has no allegiance to Mormons or anyone else. I know the Gospel is true but I question whether I can continue to sit next to people that think this guy is so wonderful. The exposure of those Mormons who are willing to sacrifice minorities, the poor, etc for a judge/policies that WILL turn his back on them makes me sad. They will still be here after Trump is gone. The U.S. would be a s-hole countryif it weren't for immigrants, both voluntary and involuntary. Especially if we had stopped with Columbus and his merry band of conquerers. How is this different from those that just want to feel better so they elect drugs etc which promise to make you feel better but also has negative embarrassing consequences. You can justify it by talking about his opponent but I guarantee you we would not be the laughing stock of the world, including those s-hole countries. Rest assured I will pray for this guy just as I do for all our leaders.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 8:18 a.m.

Reading these comments it is clear right-winged media does a good job with distortions and misinformation.

bygracegol:
    “The countries mentioned are disasters. He just used a different word”

The countries are disasters—abd Trump painted the people living there as undesirables.

But are the citizens of those countries victims of a corrupt and ineffective govt or are they just corrupt, lazy etc themselves?

The results of this poll make me ashamed to be Mormon.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Jan. 13, 2018 8:05 a.m.

Embarrassing. People of the LDS faith should not be the first group to give someone a moral pass because they like policy. What it says is many fellow are voting their pocketbooks rather than their conscience. Or it says there is a gap between their professed beliefs, and their actual values.

Thats a pretty judgie statement, one I am not very comfortable with. I would really like to get more information behind the data. The only other factor that jumps out to me is that Mormons are also more Republican than other religions. And if you look at the numbers of LDS that are Republican, and the number "supporting" the President, they line up nicely.

I would hope the members are giving Trump a pass just because he is Republican, any more than I would hope LDS Democrats would have given Clinton a pass on his moral lapses.

Interesting. I hope Onion Daze is on to something.... and this isn't a statement of the mans character.

• Nichol Draper West Jordan, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 8:04 a.m.

No president should be all powerful. With Obama they let him do anything. President Trump is great for America precisely because he is an awful person. We need to put limits on the President. No single person should be allowed to dictate what a million acres of land can be used for indefinitely. Now some of the people who supported Obama in shutting down entire industries are rethinking the amount of power that a president should be allowed to have. For that I do support Trump.

• Riley Mendenhall Provo, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 8:01 a.m.

Re: eastcoastcoug

Despite what CNN says, it is not a crime to be a straight white Christian male.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Jan. 13, 2018 7:42 a.m.

If Mormons love a leader solely for a good economy, then Mormons would have LOVED Clinton in the '90's, and they would love Xi of China and Putin of Russia - all improved the economy of their countries and enjoyed times of great expansion of wealth.

If Mormons love leaders who keep their promises, they would have loved Obama, who promised and brought us Obamacare.

If Mormons love those who are 'Truth-tellers', they would have appreciated Bernie Sanders. He was the only one last year talking about how we bailed out big banks and their leaders who took us into the Crash, and the hypocrisy of the Clintons.

You love Trump because he fits your view that people of color are here to mooch off your hard work and take your job. You believe the Democrats are out to destroy our system of government and so really, anything Trump does is OK, including tearing down the press, the FBI and Justice Dept., CIA, etc. At least we don't have Hilary.

Your views clash with your Church, who say that 'Their story could be my story', who at least 4 times in the past 18 months has denounced Trump's statements.

I say, stop supporting a man whose very behavior undermines the Conservative cause.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 7:41 a.m.

Senator Hatch is leading the LDS support of the Donald. The Donald is the Senator Hatch's legacy.

• Riley Mendenhall Provo, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 7:39 a.m.

• wisetimes Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 13, 2018 7:26 a.m.

Grateful the article at least indicates that the support is likely re: policies, rather than the man himself. Plenty of Mormons have spoken strongly against him.
    Meanwhile the poll is still upsetting to me. When I saw the one and only policy or action that I approved of, I did not attribute it to Trump. I believe Republicans are trying to work around him but polls can be confusing. (When I have filled out polls, I often feel confined by selection of responses, and I fear my intentions marked could be misunderstood)

Trump personally stands for nothing the LDS Church stands for, and yet many are Republicans and lean that way. But any church members that actually support Trump himself, must have so many children they are too busy to pay attention to his grotesque behavior, mindset, and dangerous provocation of war and destruction.

• illuminated Kansas City, MO
    Jan. 13, 2018 7:13 a.m.

I support Trump because he reminds me of Captain Moroni from the Book of Mormon. He honors our flag and believes in a strong nation by protecting our families and religion. He believes in a strong national defense and a strong border by building a wall. He strongly believes in the Book of Mormon idea that America "is a land set above all others", and he wants to get rid of modern day "King Men", the deep state.

Trump is a modern day Captain Moroni.

Mormon said if all men could be like Moroni, "the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever". With a statement like that, I'm sure Book of Mormon prophets are smiling down on Trump. Trump embodies the spirit of the Book of Mormon.

Trump is my hero. I'm so glad he's standing up for people like me in a time when it feels like everyone else hates white Christian males. He is an honorable man.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Jan. 13, 2018 7:07 a.m.

I like his appointees and his supreme court pick. But I would like to see him gone at the first opportunity. Policies is one part of leadership. Wisdom is another part.

Based on his comments and personal life I doubt that he has developed the wisdom and foresight to correctly lead in a crisis.

His loose lips is plain speaking, but its dumb. They may talk like that in New York. Fine, everyone in New York who talks like that is dumb too. Just like him.

• Freduard Stockton, CA
    Jan. 13, 2018 6:39 a.m.

Two points. One, for all the pearl clutchers, is that the last election offered us the choice between a candidate who spent much of her life aiding and abetting her husband's unsavory sexual activities, who is currently under investigation for major financial fraud for both her charity and her campaign finances; or a wealthy socialist whose wife is currently before a grand jury also for financial fraud (and who may be joined to the indictment); or a man who has the sexual morals of a Bill Clinton (although he has never been accused of rape). Anyone who finds in any of the three a satisfying moral example must be seriously divorced from reality.

Second, as to the famous comment, I am now in my seventh year of living in Africa (various countries). I love it and the people I've known, but I can also tell you from long experience that Trump's description is accurate--corruption, failing infrastructure, regular loss of water and electricity (not counting large areas that have neither), lack of education, poor sanitation, impassable streets, etc. I could go on for another page, but suffice it to say, the continent has serious problems--worse than most Americans could even conceive.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Jan. 13, 2018 6:39 a.m.

@Wasatch Al

We could support someone like Donald Trump because we couldn't "stomach" someone like Hillary Clinton.
    Also, the writer of this article leaves out a very important fact: his winning margin would have been MUCH larger but for the other "Republican" who decided to throw his hat in the ring.

How many other states had such a candidate?

😁

• New to Utah Provo, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 6:27 a.m.

President Trump is simply not a politician and Washington insiders and the main stream media seem to hate him. His off the cuff statements and tweets are often direct and crude but his agenda is helping the country. I believe he sincerely loves our country and his family. He most certainly has not been given a fair shake by the main stream media which scrutinizes everything and spins it against him. We don’t know how crude other presidents were because they didn’t have such a hostile press. Actions always speak louder than words. He needs our prayers just as others presidents in the past have.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Jan. 13, 2018 6:18 a.m.

President Trump should have chosen a different word but as the old saying goes, "if the shoe fits...." IMO the good President Trump is accomplishing far out weighs his candid but unfortunate choice of words! His critics might consider there are far worse things than using graphic language to describe where some of these illegal immigrants come from and the problems they bring with them! President Trump is forced to deal with a serious problems that previous occupant of the WH created because he refused to enforce our immigration laws! Thus, those of you casting stones and President Trump have simply mistaken your target!

• ute alumni Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 6:05 a.m.

Rather than read from libs and hysterical low information Mormons let’s look at the facts:
    Tax bill cut
    Neil Gorsuch
    Roll back of refs
    Travel ban
    Declaring Jerusalem isreal’s Capital
    Withdawalftom Paris climate accord
    Pulling out of trans pacific partnership
    Rollback of some of Barry’spolicies
    Repeal of Barry’s net neutrality rules
    Degradation of isis
    Stock market
    Jobs
    Unemployment
    Job growth
    Fewer on food stamps
    A lot to like
    Barry and hilliary are both disasters.
    For those able to read...read Clinton cash. Bill, hilliary,Barry and the rest of the corrupt left are called.
    Advise.....libs and anti trumpets- get educated

• Egyptian origins Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 6:04 a.m.

I see Mormons are still under the "condemnation" extended by President Benson in his April 1986 Conference talk, "Cleansing the Inner Vessel", from Doctrine and Covenants 84:52-59. Joseph Smith prophesied 19 July 1840 that the U.S. Constitution would be on "the brink of ruin" and require the Elders of Israel to restore it, but "not" as President Benson said, "in Washington" in his BYU speech 16 September 1986, "The Constitution: A Heavenly Banner". Mormons are unaware that President David O. McKay ordered the Elders of Israel in the Priesthood Session of General Conference to rescue the Constitution 9 April 1966 "Statement Concerning the Position of the Church on Communism", but those Priesthood holders failed to follow the living Prophet. So, then from 1967 to 1973 a new generation was born to whom President Benson specifically spoke to in the Priesthood Session of General Conference April 1986, "To the Youth of the Noble Birthright" calling them the "Royal Army of the Lord" foreordained in the "last days". We are now beginning to turn 50 last year. But according to this article it looks like the Elders of Israel will fail yet again to not follow our living Prophets.

• MrLogic Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 6:00 a.m.

Many have asked about Gallup's methodology. They ask a very simple question: "Do you approve or disapprove of the way [president’s name] is handling his job as president?" (you can find this if you Google it). The advantage of this question is its simplicity; the disadvantage is its lack of nuance. Personally, I'd like to know if this support is weak or strong.

Like so many others, too, I'm disappointed, and this doesn't correlate with my experience. I haven't run into many Trump supporters at church. It certainly doesn't feel as though most of my fellow Saints approve.

Personally, I hope that Dan Jones does a follow up so we can find out more detail. Because the president's character DOES matter.

• FWJ Junction City, KS
    Jan. 13, 2018 5:48 a.m.

It is good to remember that the LDS Church is worldwide. I'm not sure the faithful Saints across the globe would agree with this poll, particularly those from Latin America, Haiti or Africa. For me character has always mattered in politics and still does. As an American and Mormon I strongly disapprove of of Mr. Trump.

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 4:30 a.m.

I think most Mormons are conservative, and are generally too busy to follow national news in detail, let alone have the time to interact with those alarmed by Trump's words and actions.

If they did, they would probably be concerned like everyone else is.

• Xpat1961 ,
    Jan. 13, 2018 3:59 a.m.

Glad I’m not Mormon anymore

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 2:54 a.m.

@Eastcoastcoug

you stated:
    "By following this man we risk the complete loss of that integrity".

Wrong!
    His (Trump's) integrity, is not tied to Mormons integrity whatsoever.

Politics always comes down to "Pragmatism vs Idealism".

Hillary and her brood are far more corrupt, with their generational shenanigans, than is Trump.

Look at Trump's policies and what he has accomplished with Congress in just one year and try to get past Trump's awkwardly ignorant statements.

He has no filter, nor does he display any realm of tactfulness. But, he is what America has at the moment and as to the Economy and other polices and decisions i.e., mandates, regulations, Supreme Court, etc., he is dong a fantastic job, certifying what Congress is doing.

You ride the boat you are on and when we look at where this Country would be with Hillary's veto pen???....

Perish the thought!

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 2:37 a.m.

Hmmm

Trump vs Hillary?
    No contest!

Compare where we would be today, without Trump and with Hillary as President?

Trump is a "Useful...Failed (morally) Vessel".
    A means to Our Nations positive end.
    All we need is his signature.

The key is hanging on to Congress, while pursuing a pro growth agenda, and to never allow the oppressive tax and spend liberals to impose their will on America, ever again.

• pwlohse Dueren, 00
    Jan. 13, 2018 2:13 a.m.

Trump is a total disgrace to the entire USA. As an LDS I cannot comprehend how members can support someone whose conduct is diametrically opposed to Gospel standards.

• Hagoth Hayden, ID
    Jan. 13, 2018 1:14 a.m.

Yep not surprising since Mormon's knew the Supreme Court was up for grabs and not getting a conservative judge would mean even more bad for this country. Not to mention all the lower court judges to be selected. Imagine what Hillary would have done if she was in office. Thank God for Trump. He is far from perfect but far far better than Hillary. As for his s---holes remark, I am not passing judgement as I was not there and politicians are telling us all what he said and we know how reliable they are. And are these third world countries s---holes? Just ask the missionaries who have served in these countries. Horrible conditions, if Godzilla went to trash these countries he would just turn around seeing that they are already trashed. Now the people in these countries who migrate here to improve their lives certainly are great people and am sure Trump has no issues with those people. Love and Peace!

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 12:42 a.m.

@jalapen "Trump is hardly the first unrighteous man in government. But without the benefit of a spiritual compass he instinctively understands the Gadianton danger and is attempting to expose them. "

Thank you for revealing the "logic" behind Mormons' favorable view of Trump. It's just nonsense.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 13, 2018 12:21 a.m.

In fairness, white protestants scored 60% so if there were a white evangelical category, that'd get higher than the 61% LDS members have. Also, in fairness, LDS support for Republicans is typically a decent amount higher than 61%, probably more like upper 60s or lower 70s.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 11:24 p.m.

President Trump is not perfect, but he is a great president.

The media wants us to hate him, I can't imagine how he puts up with it. No one in our country has ever faced the scrutiny that President Trump has.

It would be interesting to see how past presidents would've handled it if they even got 1% of the criticism the current president gets.

He says a comment in a closed door meeting, which he is trying to protect our country and someone tattles and the media loves it. Apparently the word he used is now the most offensive word ever - or at least the media is trying to brainwash us into thinking so.

Stocks are up, taxes will decrease for most, many are getting bonuses and raises from their companies, because of new tax bill - the President is fulfilling his promises. This is causing panic in the media so they are grasping at straws to come up with anything to try to make him look bad.

• jalapenochomper albuquerque, NM
    Jan. 12, 2018 11:18 p.m.

Face it, the Gadiantons are loose in our government, as we have been warned they would be at this time. This was more than apparent in Mr Trump's opponent before the election and more so after. We have also seen high-level bureaucrats at FBI, DOJ and IRS among others in open defiance of the law and Congress. These examples are only the tip.

Trump is hardly the first unrighteous man in government. But without the benefit of a spiritual compass he instinctively understands the Gadianton danger and is attempting to expose them. They will not come out without a fight, and it will take a fighter to expose them. I'll take Trump's blunt talk over the corrupt hypocrisy of his 2016 opponent any day. Yes, I wish we all lived in peace petting our fairy unicorns but that is not what we are told to expect.

I don't expect Trump will ever be a saint. He still needs our prayers. He is all we have in the short term. Congress has shown they will only enable and empower the Gadiantons.

I did not vote for him but have quickly changed my mind.

• Bloodhound Provo, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 11:10 p.m.

I'm LDS and I love Trump! Unlike many Republican politicians, Trump has tried to keep his word by fulfilling his campaign promises. Finally, a President that cares about manufacturing and America's middle class. Go Trump! MAGA!

• JapanCougar Layton, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 11:01 p.m.

I find these numbers hard to believe. 61%? No.
    If true, and I don't believe it is, that's an embarrassment.
    Regardless of what he may have done, he has not acted in a way most of us can approve.

• JBs Logan, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 10:50 p.m.

The comment in the article said that one of the reasons for Mormons' approval of Trump is because of the economy. While a good economy is of course important and good, I can't see that it is more important than character. I'd rather have a leader for whom I have respect and one of whom I am not ashamed.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 10:48 p.m.

President Trump was not a favorite in Utah and among Mormons, think back on the primaries and the consternation before the general election.

Stances, or at least his words, toward the support of the lives of the unborn, traditional marriage and other issues caused many to vote for him despite not being a favorite. His campaign promises to these issues important to Utahns have been backed with appointments of Judge Gorsuch, and many many judges of the lower courts giving him a major reason for the support. The support is not for what he often says or tweets.

Mormons support and pray for our leaders; President Bush, President Obama, President Trump and hope they will govern in ways that uphold the Constitution and preserve freedom.

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    Jan. 12, 2018 10:47 p.m.

I don’t know who those 2200 Mormons were, out of the 6,300,000+ in the United States.

For sure, no one asked me. And all I can say is, I am ashamed of this statistic.

• bygracegoI Sandy, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 10:36 p.m.

The countries mentioned are disasters. He just used a different word. What's the big deal? A little profanity?

What he said is true infra structurally, economically and politically. Those countries are disasters.

• John Jackson Sandy, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 9:29 p.m.

More than anything, the poll might reflect that the LDS are more Republican than any other religious group. They simply supported the party's standard-bearer. If, say (as a guess), 85 percent of Mormons are Republican, but only 61 percent support Trump, that is not a ringing endorsement.
    This doesn't entirely excuse the LDS people, however. Wrong is wrong, regardless where it comes from and if it comes from your own party.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    Jan. 12, 2018 8:45 p.m.

Give yourself a foreign name and sit in a doctor's office and see how long it takes for you to get called.

Send out job applications with that same name and see how many callbacks you get.

Utah is what it is but there are good people there.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    Jan. 12, 2018 7:17 p.m.

"We didn't have great choices for president in this last general election...The national GOP (with the media) gave us a bombastic jerk..."

See "definition of 'personal responsibility' according to a certain class of conservative." Aka "Trump isn't our fault. We only had 16 other GOP candidates to choose from!"

I know several Republicans/conservatives with integrity. I think they need to start a new party because they don't deserve to be associated with......this.

• Onion Daze Payson, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 6:37 p.m.

RC in WJ

Just stated the opinion Quin Monson. We probably do not know how the questions were framed.

President Trump is an un-diplomatic bull in a china shop.

• Wasatch Al South Jordan, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 4:59 p.m.

Just wait until Trump attacks Mormons in a tweet or a statement in the Oval Office. His former buddy-buddy Steve Bannon has already assailed Mitt Romney because of his religion and degraded the missionary system. I don’t believe Trump will be far behind.

How can over 50% of my religion support a man like him is infathomable! Compare Trump to the righteous and unrighteous leaders in the Book of Mormon. Where would he fit?

• RC in WJ WEST JORDAN, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 4:44 p.m.

Re: Onion Daze

Sorry Onion, you can't separate the man from his policies. Nice try no cigar, oh sorry, no twinkie!

Proud to be a Mormon who did hot put a check mark behind Trumps name.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 4:41 p.m.

"the poll is measuring support for the president's policies, not necessarily how he has conducted himself in office"

You have stated the obvious. Poll questions are designed to acquire the desired result. As a pollster asked me -
    Are you for unlimited abortion? No.
    Should all abortions be outlawed? No.
    Then you have no opinion?

• shamrock Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 4:37 p.m.

Very troubling.

• Unreconstructed Reb Chantilly, VA
    Jan. 12, 2018 4:37 p.m.

Trump's behavior, including his comments yesterday, are stain on him and the office he holds, and I am deeply shaken by today's Gallup poll showing that my fellow Saints overwhelmingly lead this country's religions in supporting him, the only ones to provide him moral support. It is shocking to me. There is no way to reconcile King Benjamin's address with Trump's positions on poverty.

Jan. 12, 2018 4:31 p.m.

We didn't have great choices for president in this last general election.

The national GOP (with the media) gave us a bombastic jerk with gutter language, concerning personal views toward women, a questionable business background, and no political experience. But he promised to put originalists-textualists onto the federal courts, to return industry to the nation, and to make America great again.

The Democrats gave us a radical feminist who, ironically, rose to political prominence by shaming and attacking her husband's many victims of rape and sexual assault. Having spent most of their work Iife feeding at the public trough, she became wealthy through shady and insider business deals. She is personally unlikable even to many political supporters, the very embodiment of "phony". Her vast political experience demonstrates bad judgment, contempt for the law, and disengagement from the common, taxpayer. Her plan was ever more socialism and perhaps war with Russia.

Other choices were not going to win.

We chose the candidate whose policies were pro American despite his personality problems.

We did the same thing with Bill Clinton. It's the economy.

• Thimk Preston, ID
    Jan. 12, 2018 4:27 p.m.

Whether it's based upon policy or conduct, it's absolutely embarrassing.

• embarrassed Utahn! Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 4:25 p.m.

You can't separate the man from his actions. Even if he had done anything positive this year. All I wish is that only Trump supporters had to live with his consequences. And 3 years can't possibly go by fast enough!

This does not help your image Mormons.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    Jan. 12, 2018 4:18 p.m.

Would it not be better to say none of the above rather than say I approve of A because it is a better choice than any others?

• spudlydoright McCammon, Idaho
    Jan. 12, 2018 4:16 p.m.

I am sorry, but why does it make any difference what the policies are of a man who has absolutely no morals, ethics, or anything else worthy at all. He absolutely cannot tell the truth or say anything nice about anyone. When they say they don't like some of the things he does but his policies make up for everything else that is nothing more than a weak kneed copout by people who really have no problem with his behavior as long as the ideaoloy matches.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Jan. 12, 2018 4:16 p.m.

After Trump's racist rant, this support shows itself as even more hypocritical. Mormons have worked for decades to build an image of moral integrity. By following this man we risk the complete loss of that integrity. In the words of Alma: 'when they saw your conduct, they would not believe my words.'

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 4:10 p.m.

That is certainly a little disturbing. Trump is an international laughingstock. A clear and present danger. He couldn't find Utah on a map.

• Onion Daze Payson, UT
    Jan. 12, 2018 4:02 p.m.

"But (Quin) Monson said the poll is measuring support for the president's policies, not necessarily how he has conducted himself in office..."