Surveillance footage reviewed in alleged entrapment of Utah state senator

• Kenngo1969 Pleasant Grove, UT
    Feb. 13, 2018 1:50 p.m.

LivinLarge – Bountiful UT: “Everybody deserves the presumption of innocence, however, my lifetime of experience tells me this is not going to end will.” [sic]

You’re right, everyone does deserve the presumption of innocence. Not going to end well for whom? For the alleged entrapper? While I’m skeptical, perhaps she can provide an innocent, verifiable explanation for the interaction described. Stranger things have happened, I suppose, but if we’re going to give even people who are suspected of crimes the benefit of the presumption of innocence (again, perhaps this person can provide an entirely innocent, verifiable explanation), it seems to me that we’re even more bound to give people who are not suspected of crimes that same presumption.

With all due respect to your “lifetime of experience,” in appealing to that experience as authority, do you mean to dismiss the considerable experience of people whose experiences have differed greatly from your own? Do you mean to suggest that, since no stranger has ever appeared (seemingly out of nowhere) claiming to be your “date,” such things couldn’t happen? My experience suggests that fallacies such as these should be avoided. ;-D

• cavetroll SANDY, UT
    Feb. 13, 2018 1:30 p.m.

@procuradorfiscal
    Re: "People obsessed with others' morality . . . are fundamentally uncertain about their own."

Which is a pretty apt description of today's liberal politicos."

The same could be said of today's conservative politicos. This is why they continue to pass abortion and LGBTQ legislation that the Courts continue to find unconstitutional. This is also why our very own legislature passed a law lowering the BAC (under the guise of "public safety"), yet just yesterday blocked a bill that dealing with driving while on a cell phone. If you believe the lower BAC falls under the banner of "public safety", but the cell phone bill doesn't, then the law was not about public safety, but about the prominent view on alcohol her in Utah.

• Kenngo1969 Pleasant Grove, UT
    Feb. 13, 2018 12:31 p.m.

Help America – Bakersfield CA: “Where is Little America in all of this. If prostitution is a crime why are establishments letting them wander around like a pack of rats.”

True, prostitution may be a crime (and related acts, such as solicitation of prostitution, may be crimes), but merely “wandering around,” without more, usually isn’t a crime. See, e.g., Papachristou v. City of Jacksonville, 405 U.S. 156 (1972). There is a perhaps-fine line between “letting [people] wander around like a pack of rats,’ on the one hand, and unduly interfering with the movement of (entirely innocent!) hotel guests and those who (are entirely innocent! and), simply, may wish to visit them, on the other hand.

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 13, 2018 10:22 a.m.

Everybody deserves the presumption of innocence, however, my lifetime of experience tells me this is not going to end will. Desparate people do dumb things, and what is described here is among dumbest. You can bet that law enforcement is 10 steps ahead on this one.

• Daedalus, Stephen ARVADA, CO
    Feb. 13, 2018 10:15 a.m.

"Hopefully, everybody is thinking twice about wandering off alone and making sure they have somebody with them..."

I remember my dad giving me near identical advice when he allowed my older brothers and me go play skeeball on the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk by ourselves. My oldest brother was 15. I was 8.

My mom warned us not to take any wooden nickels. Or was it E.B. White? I vividly remember the scene from Charlotte's Web, where Fern and Avery were cautioned prior to heading out into the teeming county fair. He perfectly captured the tension of youth, so eager to be free of parents, but scared by the myriad of strange hazards that await.

Wooden nickels! Who knew?

Which brings us back to the strange woman who knocked on this guy's hotel door, insisting and persisting that he was her date for the night and vice versa.

Occam's Razor points away from the complicated the 'entrapment' explanation.

How about a dyslexic escort?

If she unwittingly transposed the room number, her odd persistence might be explained by her not wanting to abandon a potentially lucrative evening. I imagine some clients get last minute cold feet, but are often persuaded to stick with Plan A.

• Wasatch Al South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 13, 2018 9:21 a.m.

“Methinks he may protesteth too much.”

• help america bakersfield, CA
    Feb. 13, 2018 9:16 a.m.

Where is Little America in all of this. If prostitution is a crime why are establishments letting them wander around like a pack of rats. We hire legislators to pass laws, many of which have moral consequences connected to them so why cast stones on any elected official. Also, why does a persons religious upbringing have anything to do with this. A Catholic or Jew has been brought up with the same moral compass as LDS. I am not sure why religion is even the topic when it comes to morals which should be the compass for everyone, atheist or religious.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Feb. 13, 2018 8:51 a.m.

Which is a pretty apt description of today's liberal politicos.

It appears that, at least in this case, this legislator didn't fall into a trap being set for him, likely by political opponents.

Good for him.

• FTF Park City, UT
    Feb. 13, 2018 8:02 a.m.

People obsessed with others' morality -- which describes a lot of legislators -- are fundamentally uncertain about their own.

• Sol Scottsboro, AL
    Feb. 12, 2018 5:13 p.m.

Nothing surprises me when it deals with politics. Also, nothing surprises me coming from politicians...conservative or liberal...LDS or non-LDS politician.