Elder Alexander B. Morrison, renowned scientist and LDS emeritus general authority, dies at age 87

• PaultheBrit UK, 00
    Feb. 16, 2018 10:29 a.m.

Elder Morrison extended a call to me when he was serving in the UK. What a wonderful gentleman. He gave loving and wise counsel and was an inspiration to me. He is a man that I have always held in high esteem since that first meeting. I will miss him. Condolences to all the Morrison family.

• KateE75 Edmonton, 00
    Feb. 15, 2018 7:52 a.m.

As someone who never got to meet Elder Morrison, but who has been blessed by a friendship with one of his daughters, reading the comments about him made my heart very happy.
    God be with you 'til we meet again, Elder Morrison!

• fromSTL Saint Louis, MO
    Feb. 15, 2018 7:01 a.m.

His informed and wise teaching about mental illness in a gospel context was very welcome.
    Kevin J. Black, MD
    St. Louis, MO

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 14, 2018 7:22 p.m.

He is going to be missed. Who else is.like him?

• KI7OM Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 14, 2018 7:03 p.m.

Truly a great man. Alex was a good friend, leader, boss, faithful member of the church, family man, and one of the smartest people I have ever met. My deepest sympathies to Shirley, his wife, and to his children and grandchildren - he will be missed. I served with him in multiple capacities and taught several of his children in the Ottawa Branch Sunday School.

• LesleyA Canada, 00
    Feb. 14, 2018 6:07 p.m.

I am blessed to have been taught by such a humble and great teacher. My condolences to Sis Morrison and family.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Feb. 14, 2018 10:05 a.m.

Elder Morrison gave us a great pattern for our lives.

😊

• humbug Syracuse/Davis, UT
    Feb. 14, 2018 9:29 a.m.

I liked Elder Morrison. He was the first LDS General Authority I knew who addressed mental illness as being something other than a need to repent. He was a great man. Very compassionate. He will be missed.

• Angelsings Glendale, AZ
    Feb. 14, 2018 9:27 a.m.

Truly a distinguished, accomplished man with infinite empathy for others. Starvation is a life-&-death matter. Each time I eat I ask Heavenly Father to make me ever-mindful of those who don't have food & to help them in any way I can.

• PheeDee American Fork, UT
    Feb. 14, 2018 8:32 a.m.

Elder Morrison had a significant influence in my life. I wanted to be more like he was, especially with compassion and concern for others. He is one of the major reasons I went to Africa. I send love and tender feelings to the family

• KellenJW Peachtree City, GA
    Feb. 14, 2018 7:04 a.m.

Great life of service.

• Hockey Fan Miles City, MT
    Feb. 14, 2018 6:47 a.m.

One thing I particularly appreciated about Elder Morrison was his effort to de-stigmatize mental illness within the LDS culture (NOT the LDS doctrine, I wish to clarify), a culture that has tended to take a self-righteous, condescending view toward people who struggle with mental illness. Overcoming mental illness is much, much more than PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) and repeating "I feel good. I feel great. I feel wonderful." Because of Elder Morrison's efforts, I have observed a kinder, more compassionate attitude about mental illness within the LDS church.

• Mayfair Logan, UT
    Feb. 14, 2018 4:48 a.m.

Dear Morrison Family-- Just want you to know Elder Morrison's book about Africa and the one about mental illness were important to our family and made a big difference for us.
    We always have- and will continue- to remember him with gratitude and love.

• JBs Logan, UT
    Feb. 13, 2018 10:37 p.m.

I was just thinking about Elder Morrison the other day and how much I loved hearing from him in conference. He was a man of compassion and that was clearly manifested in his behavior, his writing, and his talks. He has had a profound impact on many people, of which I am one. God bless his family and may he rest in sweet peace. He deserves it.

• Hubble65 Sandy, UT
    Feb. 13, 2018 9:24 p.m.

A truly humble, Christlike man and leader with a huge heart. Condolences to his family and loved ones. Thanks for caring for those often forgotten by the world, the poor, the hungry the mentally ill.