SALT LAKE CITY — Let us be glad, let us be grateful!
The long-awaited "Wicked" film-adaptation has finally gotten a release date from Universal Studios.
Here’s what we know: Universal Studios announced today that they’re planning on releasing a "Wicked" movie on Dec. 22, 2021, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
- The film will be based on the book “Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West” by Gregory Maguire, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
- Stephen Schwartz, who composed the music for the original “Wicked” musical, and screenwriter Winnie Holsman will be adapting the story to the big screen.
- Stephen Daldry of “The Crown” and “Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close” fame will be directing with Marc Platt producing.
“Wicked” was anticipated to be released this year, but Universal instead chose to release a film adaptation of the musical “Cats” this year, according to Variety.
- “Cats” is anticipated to release December 20, 2019, and has a star-studded cast, which includes Taylor Swift, Jennifer Hudson, Ian McKellen, Judi Dench and Idris Elba, according to Playbill.
“Wicked” is one of the most popular musicals on Broadway. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the musical grossed $1 billion in 2016.
- “Wicked” has been nominated for 10 Tony awards and has won three honors, according to The Hollywood Reporter.