1 of 4
Steve Landeen, Deseret News
Firefighters put out hot spots at the Los Hermanos Mexican restaurant in Provo on Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2019. The fire started Monday night.

PROVO — A Mexican restaurant that erupted in flames Monday night in Provo is a total loss, and so are several second-story offices above, fire officials said Tuesday.

The cause of the fire wasn't known, but investigators don't believe there was any foul play.

2 comments on this story

The blaze began in the basement of Los Hermanos, making it difficult and dangerous for crews to battle. One firefighter sustained a minor shoulder injury after falling down stairs, Provo Fire and Rescue officers said in a Facebook post.

The restaurant at 71 E. Center had been closed Monday for construction when crews were called to the blaze about 7 p.m. A neighboring apartment building was evacuated twice as firefighters battled flames shooting through the roof. Residents took shelter from the cold in a Utah Transit Authority bus brought to house them temporarily.

A portion of Center Street remained closed Tuesday as firefighers put out hot spots.