Unvaccinated adult gets mumps in Utah County

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• Dantley Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 16, 2019 11:57 a.m.

There are a lot of misconceptions. I had my MMR vaccination when I was a child. However, while I was on my mission in Mexico, I came down with the mumps. The reason being is that in Mexico, they do not have the availability of vaccinations as we do here. Even though that you may have been vaccinated, you are still in danger of getting either the measles or mumps. The vaccination only helps.

• Walt Nicholes Orem, UT
    May 16, 2019 9:01 a.m.

To be fair (and comprehensive) I am a staunch Libertarian. But that does not make me a fool or a conspiratorialist. I had ALL of my children vaccinated for ALL diseases where a vaccination was available at the time.

A Libertarian does not ignore science. A Libertarian embraces science because it is knowledge and reason based.

I think there could be a useful study of the correlation between political philosophies and refusal to vaccinate. I am betting that people who base their decisions on emotion are more likely to refuse vaccination for their children than those who base their decisions on logic.

• AndiePandie Park City, UT
    May 16, 2019 8:44 a.m.

NoNames: that is a bad analogy. Growing number of uninformed parents electing to not vaccinate their kids is not the same thing as joe-blow on a motorcycle electing to not wear a helmet.

Vaccines have a certain % of effectiveness and not all people can get vaccines (immune system compromised, cancer patients, etc). Asking all those people to stay locked up in a house isn't exactly good policy.

Achieving a high rate of vaccinations achieves herd immunity and protects us all. The growing movement we are seeing affects more than just those that choose to be part of it.

May 15, 2019 6:51 p.m.

I don't understand all the angst over folks not getting vaccinated. It is like concern over a motorcylists not wearing a helmet.

I love to ride. Won't pull out of the driveway without a helmet. Won't drive the car out of the driveway without my seatbelt fastened. But what is the risk to me of someone else not wearing a helmet/seatbelt? Zero.

Similarly, I think vaccines are generally safe and very effective. Due to travel to some interesting locations, I've got more vaccines than your typical American does these days.

Because I have been vaccinated, and because I believe vaccines are very effective, I'm not worried about someone too foolish to get a measles vaccine. I'm immune. That is what the vaccine does.

When I had little kids who couldn't be vaccinated, I kept them out of public for both those illnesses as well as the far more deadly, more common illnesses for which vaccines either don't exist or are far less effective (ie common flu) until they were vaccinated and better able to handle an illness if they did contract something.. Infants don't need to be dragged to every event a childless adult might attend.

Live what you preach and stop worrying so much about others.

• AndiePandie Park City, UT
    May 15, 2019 3:26 p.m.

UtahBruin, every anti-vaxer I have ever met in utah have been right-wing or very libertarian.

That said, I know for a fact there are a lot of liberals that are anti-vaxers. I guess the takeaway here is that being uneducated crosses party lines.

• UtahBruin Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 15, 2019 2:31 p.m.

Impartial says people are not getting vaccinated because of AM radio and right wing propaganda.

Now that’s a knee slapper! If that isn’t a pot stirring comment I don’t know what is.

Biscuit hit the nail on the head with his response.

• Patrish Highland, UT
    May 15, 2019 1:58 p.m.

Andrew Wakefield, the man who started the immunization scam was stripped of his UK medical license in 2010. He now lives in Texas. Texas USA. He is still pushing his fraudulent vaccine - autism nonsense. He's behind several 'autism charities' and draws six-figure salaries from some of them.

Why a man who was convicted on 12 counts of falsifying medical research documents and stripped of his medical license was let into this country is beyond me. He is a direct threat to The People of this nation yet allowed to live like a king in Texas. Mr. Wakefield is also a huge political donor....... (I'll let y'all fill in the painfully obvious blanks)

• Biscuit , 00
    May 15, 2019 1:58 p.m.

imp7
    Because of AM Radio and right wing propaganda. Why listen to science and logic when you've got Facebook and Alex Jones?

This is 100% incorrect. Anti-vaxxers are more your liberal types.

May 15, 2019 1:39 p.m.

@drbarbiedpm - GRAHAM, WA
    May 15, 2019 12:33 p.m.
    In this day and age of modern medicine, why would anyone not be vaccinated?"

• drbarbiedpm GRAHAM, WA
    May 15, 2019 12:33 p.m.

In this day and age of modern medicine, why would anyone not be vaccinated? The benefits far outweigh the risks. A few years ago unvaccinated people were protected through herd immunity. But herd immunity is not as effective now that more people are not being vaccinated.

Parents who choose not to vaccinate their children are obviously ignorant, because what parent would not want to protect their child from disease? And adults who choose not to be vaccinated are ignorant and selfish.

It's tragic that people have to suffer through diseases that are so easily preventable nowadays through simple vaccination.

Vaccines prevent serious disease. It's common sense people, use your head. Get vaccinated and vaccinate your children.

May 15, 2019 11:51 a.m.

The CDC and Utah State Health Dept. predicted this. Now, this won't stop with this guy in Utah County. Watch the amount of kids, that were not vaccinated, come down with mumps. I hope parents with kids with mumps miss out on vacations and family gatherings due to their short sighted and ignorant beliefs in vaccinations. If your dog doesn't have the proper vaccinations they are banned from kennels, doggy day care's and dog parks. We need to go back to barring unvaccinated, disease carrying Utahn's, from public as well.

• UtahBruin Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 15, 2019 11:26 a.m.

When will they start making vaccinations mandatory. People are severely off their rocker to think they are protecting themselves or their children by not vaccinating. I get there are rare cases that vaccines don’t work in some individuals, and their are religious beliefs. But this is a very small percentage. And after those two reasons, I don’t see any reason why anyone should give reasoning not to vaccinate. My opinion is that it is increble selfish to put others at risk due to your own selfishness, and that’s exactly what it is. Selfishness. Just get yourselves vaccinated. It protects you, it protects others, now everybody wins. And the Autism cry, which I am very close to personally. Autism rates continue to climb as vaccinations drop. Obvious the two are not linked, along with multiple medical studies to verify that have disproven earlier claims.