Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.

• SameJersey Kaysville, UT
    July 23, 2019 7:02 a.m.

The Cougar program is a complete dumpster fire and will continue to be so long as they remain independent.

Mark my words, they will not win more than 4-5 games this season — and even that I result I’d going to take some real luck.

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    July 19, 2019 1:57 p.m.

@one liner - Dallas, TX

You know as well as I do that while that all looks good on paper, it's not guaranteed to translate to the field.

Your optimism is exactly what one would expect from a BYU fan, it's basically a list of "we'll be good because of one player, our QB". While mine would be more like a Utah fan "Utah was a good team last yr. We bring back a ton of talent, they will be improved".

Utah won 9 games last yr. They were absolutely on a role when Huntley broke his collar bone and Zach Moss had surgery to correct an old knee issue.

Utah brings back most of their production on both sides of the ball. There is absolute reason for optimism. And why the national media has jumped on the Utah band wagon.

I agree, we don't know what will happen on the field at this point. So, we are just speculating.

I speculate that Utah beats BYU on August 29th. I speculate that it won't be a close game.

July 18, 2019 4:03 p.m.

Zona,

Your optimism is exactly what one would expect from a Utah fan, it's basically a list of "here's why we won't miss a beat". While mine would be more like a BYU fan "here's how we improve".

The roles of the OCs and teams clicking is understated. BYU had some losses last year where Wilson missed chances for wins that I'd put on coaching. While I hope Grimes improved we don't know. Who knows what might have happened with Utah, certainly a stronger push might have kept momentum going for BYU. The Boise game was tragic to run out of time so close to a win.

Utah has had a lot of offenses over the years, and Ludwig has a style but that needs to be adapted to the Utah players. From the perspective of a BYU fan you need to excuse my cynicism in having heard so many times "but now that we have this OC . . . ". TT did a great job last year; I'm interested in seeing how Ludwig takes over.

We can both feed of hype until kickoff, but even then neither of us will really know how our teams area doing until a few weeks in. Weeks 4 and 5 will be the telling ones.

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    July 18, 2019 3:32 p.m.

@one liner - Dallas, TX

"Utah replaces 3 OL starters, and it's a mystery who will start."
    -------------------
    That comment isn't at all accurate. Umana, Ford, Daniels, and Paulo will start. All have played meaningful minutes as well. Left guard will be an open competition between some grad transfers and a stud JC kid.

Utah's OL starters have never really been in question. No more so than BYU's. Utah's issues this yr. have been depth related. And they shored that up nicely in the off season.

Also, Ludwig's blocking schemes have fewer dependencies on defensive sets and are less complex due to not running so many different RPOs. Although RPOs will be a part of the package, TT ran the RPO too often and had many varied and complex versions of it.

July 18, 2019 2:32 p.m.

Alum,

Thanks for your kind words.

I don't know what there is to fully debate as I'm pointing out unknowns. Both teams have a lot of them.

Utah replaces 3 OL starters, and it's a mystery who will start. Utah has great players and good recruits, but that doesn't matter without the proper fit, and that can't fully be determined in practice. I'll venture to say that this will be a very solid group, but I'm not sure when they "will be" solid. Nobody could know that.

I'm going to be interested in the kicking game, Utah lost the most amazing duo of kickers in CF. A strong tradition might be comforting to fans - but we all need to see it on the field.

Most positions I'll give to the Utes, in almost all categories they have better athletes.

BYU's strength could be returning under Grime's offense, which is easier than learning a new one - but that depends on how BYU uses their talent.

Back to the topic of this article, and away from direct comparisons with utah, I'm interested to see if Sitaki and Grimes put on the best athletes on the field together. That hasn't been the case in the past, I'm hopeful but doubtful that they will, and it makes a huge impact on game day.

• ColoradoCouger Parker, CO
    July 18, 2019 2:25 p.m.

Yes, Wilson was 4-3 in games he played in, but one has to blame a few of the losses on horrendous offensive coaching from an inexperienced offensive coordinator (once again) who kept the reigns on the offense and Wilson. At the end of the year they started to give him some freedom. Watching the NIU game was one of the worst things a BYU fan could endure but yelling at the TV screen did no good. Change it up! Pass the ball! They are stacking the box- don't keep on running it! No offensive line surge! Here's hoping for a better year.

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    July 18, 2019 2:01 p.m.

@one liner - Dallas, TX

My bad in not clarifying. I meant positions at Utah that have traditionally had a lot of success.

Because BYU fans like to bring up QBs over the yrs. I was pointing out some positions of strength for Utah, traditionally. And that was looking at positions that get drafted most often for Utah.

I wasn't comparing this yr's. teams. And like you said. We will know soon enough for each of our respective teams.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    July 18, 2019 12:54 p.m.

@ One Liner,

We are kindred spirits in many ways and I respect you. However, I VEHEMENTLY disagree with everything in your last post to Arizona Ute. If you dare debate or break down your bizarre claims, then let us do it?! I hope all is well sir!

July 18, 2019 12:16 p.m.

Arizona,

The comparisons are actually debatable right now.

Utah's OL is practicing against a DL that doesn't want to injure themselves or the OL in scrimmage and protecting a QB wearing a green jersey who can't be hit. You've got some big boys there, can the beef move together and work as a team or not.

By the end of the season Utah's OL might be ahead of BYU, but for now it's hardly an argument because BYU's OL is established more filling in gaps rather than replacing nearly all starters.

Utah's got an amazing kicking tradition - that is not a guarantee that this year will be the same.

Both teams would argue that our QB is better than the other. Wilson has a lot to be proven, will his upside be better than Huntley? we don't know, we've had some great freshmen be replaced in their senior year.

RBs, Moss is a beast, but a good OL will make unknown RBs look like stars and mediocre QBs pass all day long, and that's going to take time for Utah to establish.

both have holes defensively, although Utah's DL is nasty and mean as always.

anybody who goes into game 1 with too much bravado is just a fool - both teams have a ton to figure out or prove.

• search diligently Lehi, UT
    July 18, 2019 11:32 a.m.

Let's see if the coaches actually will change the QB in and out. That would be the first time ever for BYU and I think it would be a huge game-changer. I have been touting this forever as it keeps your opponents off balance and they do not know what to prepare for.

Moreover, if you give active playtime to multiple QBs then they are ready to take the snap when the principal QB gets injured. When you give all your playtime to one then you live and die by that. So it was with Mangum and umpteen other QBs. They would play badly and yet the coaches kept them in and it hurt BYU.

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    July 18, 2019 10:34 a.m.

@Old Coach Greene - Brigham City, UT

You've been level headed and fair. No need to explain yourself.

Many on here, and we all get caught up in it to some degree, like to tear down or just simply argue with the other side.

It's a rivalry and each side has their "narratives". Traditionally, each has had their positions of strength. QB has been one for BYU in the past. Don't know if they will get back to that or not but nobody needs to debate that. It's simply true.

Utah not so much. But I'd compare DBs, RBs, WRs, DL, OL and Kickers/Punters all day long from Utah v. BYU. But since that isn't the debate, I'll refrain.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 18, 2019 10:32 a.m.

one liner:

"You still don't get it, at this point you never will."

What are you talking about teeny-tiny little bro? You admitted it yourself when you'd said, "I don't actually understand what you are trying to say." That means that it's YOU who "still do[esn't] get it." Not me. Project much? Typical hypocritical coug.

"Good luck with whatever it is that you are here to do."

Well in this case, I'm proving that mendenmidmajor was right about his former fanbase. #Uneducated

And I didn't even need any "luck" to do so. #NailedIt

But if you want to tuck tail, waive the white flag, and run away from this thread, that's your right. And it's ALSO so very ybU-p.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 18, 2019 10:23 a.m.

Michigan Cougsfan68:

"How frantic and emotional of you to resort to name-calling and bullying instead of sticking to the actual topic of the article."

I'm pretty sure that I wasn't mentioned in the article, yet the ONLY comment YOU'VE made here...

...was about ME!

And YOU'RE accusing ME of going "off topic"?

Typical hypocritical coug. At least I DID make a comment that was germane to the article. And for the record, the remainder of my comments were remarks that were germane to the posts of your indy-WACey brethren, so if they went "off topic", it's because THEY'RE the ones who steered it so. Yet the only person here you're calling out is me. Typical hypocritical coug.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 17, 2019 7:06 p.m.

one liner - Dallas, TX
    July 17, 2019 6:04 p.m.

Naval,

You still don't get it, at this point you never will.

Good luck with whatever it is that you are here to do.

——-

The white flag has officially been waived.

Go Utes!

• Michigan Cougsfan68 Ann Arbor, MI
    July 17, 2019 6:18 p.m.

Navel Vet

How frantic and emotional of you to resort to name-calling and bullying instead of sticking to the actual topic of the article. What are your thoughts on the system that Coach's Grimes and Roderick are developing for Zach Wilson and Jaren Hall? How many plays a game will JH play this year?

July 17, 2019 6:04 p.m.

Naval,

You still don't get it, at this point you never will.

Good luck with whatever it is that you are here to do.

• Old Coach Greene Brigham City, UT
    July 17, 2019 5:49 p.m.

@lonestar

Sorry that you are not understanding what I am saying.

In a post somebody said Utah never had a good QB. I mentioned several that I opined were good. I also mentioned Sark as being a good QB who I was not aware of winning an award. I also implied that in a different system (like Lavell's) maybe Mitchell (or any other U QB for that matter) would have had better stats and possibly won an award.

I didn't ever say the winner of an award wasn't good. Nor did I detract from the numerous award winning BYU QBs.

What I did say is that a non-winner may still be considered good. I also tried to explain that there is more to winning the award than just the individual player. For example, If I was Detmer's TE (I am not a good TE) WR (I wouldn't get open) or center, (he would have been sacked many more times) he wouldn't have won the awards!

If that is too difficult of a concept for you I apologize. Personally, I do not care if they win an award or not, but am happy for them if they do.

Cheers!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 17, 2019 3:15 p.m.

one liner:

"I don't actually understand what you are trying to say.....You just aren't intelligent enough to really go back and forth with me."

YOUR failure to comprehend the obvious does not reflect poorly on MY intelligence. It just proves that mendenmidmajor was right about you when he'd dubbed you "uneducated".

"I'd rather be independent than be in the WAC or MWC or AAC."

Again, that position holds no value, as between indy-irrelevance, the WAC, the MWC, or the AAC, the only option that's AVAILABLE to you is indy-irrelevance. When you have only ONE choice, you can't "prefer" anything to it.

And for the record, I'm not saying the indy-WACers have only one choice. All I'm saying is neither the Pac-12, the Big 12, the BigTen, the ACC, the SEC, the AAC, or the MWC are one of them. As of RIGHT NOW, ybU-p's ONLY options are (1) indy-irrelevance, (2) dropping football, and (3) beg the MAC for consideration. If you prefer #1 over #2 and #3, that's okay. Because at least THEN, you would have been choosing from actual available options.

Midmajors forever.....unless you guys choose #2. Haha!

July 17, 2019 2:49 p.m.

Naval,

I don't actually understand what you are trying to say.

Yes, I'd rather be independent than be in the WAC or MWC or AAC. That's my opinion and I'm not crying in the corner ashamed that nobody has invited BYU to be in a major conference. I'm also sure that you don't know that there has never been interest because that would contradict the people who actually know about it and have commented on it.

So I'm good with independence, not all fans are. Aim your humiliation cannons at them if you feel better about yourself for doing that.

You just aren't intelligent enough to really go back and forth with me, I don't really even understand what you are trying to say and you clearly don't understand that I'm not one who would be upset about staying independent in football for the foreseeable future.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 17, 2019 1:13 p.m.

one liner:

I have to laugh every time some indy-WACer claims "I'd rather be" in [some situation]! I laugh because you all THINK you're fooling anyone, but you're not. It isn't that you'd "rather be" in your current situation, so much as you know that you "have no other choice BUT to be" in same said scenario. Haha!

The day the AAC extends you all an invitation...THEN can you tell us which situation you'd rather be in. But right now, indy-irrelevance is your ONLY option.

At best, all you can REALLY claim is you'd rather be an indy-irrelevant WAC-wannabe football program, than dropping football altogether. Have fun with THAT boast little brother. Haha!

• Lone*Star Austin, TX
    July 17, 2019 12:52 p.m.

Old Coach Greene - Brigham City, UT
    July 16, 2019 7:47 p.m.
    @1991

"Congrats to Sark! I knew he was good!

Again just because an award was not received means (and proves) nothing."

Actually, winning a nation's best QB or Passer award proves that player was considered BETTER than any other player in the country.

It's hilarious how Utah fans brag incessantly about their kickers because they've won a couple of awards, but somehow, such awards are considered meaningless by those same jealous Utah fans when it comes to recognizing the myriad BYU QB's who have won such awards.

The hypocrisy on the mole hill knows no bounds.

July 17, 2019 12:29 p.m.

"How incredibly miserable for both you and Snack WAC."

Actually I'm fine because I'd rather be independent than in the MWC or AAC. but thanks for your concern.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 17, 2019 11:02 a.m.

one liner:

"If nobody cares there are no posts because nobody cares."

Is that what you'd learned on the latest episode of "Oprah Winfrey"? Silly indy-WACer. But no. It's like I'd already told you -- "Nobody cares" DOESN'T mean Ute fans wouldn't point that out to your obsessed, "uneducated" indy-WACer fans. It means that relevant leagues like the Pac-12, Big 12, BigTen, ACC, and SEC, as well as 2nd-Tier leagues such as the MWC and AAC, can all see those those ancient old dusty awards...

...and STILL not have any interest in inviting you. See? Nobody cares!

How incredibly miserable for both you and Snack WAC.

July 17, 2019 10:37 a.m.

Naval,

"Nobody cares" doesn't require a long post to tell people that nobody cares because it's self defeating.

If nobody cares there are no posts because nobody cares. Posting about it means that you at least care - so how do you represent the people who don't care?

I didn't make logic up, I just happen to have logic and intelligence on my side.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 17, 2019 9:56 a.m.

one liner:

"Here's a friendly hint - if nobody cares you would be absent and silent, right?"

Nope. You just made that up. When "nobody cares" it doesn't mean Ute fans won't point that out to obsessed, "uneducated" indy-WACers. It means that relevant leagues like the Pac-12, Big 12, BigTen, ACC, and SEC, as well as 2nd-Tier leagues such as the MWC and AAC, can all see those those ancient old dusty awards...

...and STILL not have any interest in inviting you. See? Nobody cares!

How miserable for you and Snack WAC.

• Old Coach Greene Brigham City, UT
    July 16, 2019 7:47 p.m.

@1991

Congrats to Sark! I knew he was good!

Again just because an award was not received means (and proves) nothing. Trying to say otherwise demonstrates how little some people understand this sport, how it has evolved over the years and all the dynamics involved for statistics. I think there have been many good U QBs. I think there have been many good Y QBs. I am ok that you and others disagree. I am old enough to have seen Johnny Unitas play, and I still think he is the NFL GOAT QB as his long standing records were set in an era where throwing the ball was not as popular. I don't think anybody agrees with me on that! Enjoy those QB awards, may you sleep well tonight!

Cheers!

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    July 16, 2019 4:34 p.m.

Old Coach Greene - Brigham City, UT
    July 16, 2019 3:17 p.m.
    @snack

“With all due respect, not winning an award doesn't mean they were not good QBs, just that they did not win an award. I have seen plenty of great movies that did not win awards, likewise plenty of great football players that did not win awards. I do not remember Sark winning an award at BYU, but he was good.”

It proves that no Utah QB has ever been considered the best QB or the best passer in the nation.

Steve Sarkisian won the Sammy Baugh Trophy (1996), nation’s best passer.

One of 7 such awards won by BYU QB’s.

• Old Coach Greene Brigham City, UT
    July 16, 2019 3:17 p.m.

@snack

July 16, 2019 2:18 p.m.

Somebody is trying too hard to tell others that "nobody cares".

Here's a friendly hint - if nobody cares you would be absent and silent, right?

P.S. thanks for caring so much!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 16, 2019 11:26 a.m.

Snack WAC:

"No Utah QB has ever won the Davey O’Brien Award, the Sammy Baugh Award, nor finished in Heisman final Top 3."

Really? So then had the Big 12 called yet? No? Well that must be because...

...nobody cares!

Nobody cares, which is why you guys are STILL "midmajors forever", whereas your 2-time BCS bowl winning big brother on the hill is STILL the "defending Pac-12 South Champions".

Nobody cares, which is why you guys will have started and finished every season since indy-irrelevance "unranked", whereas your big brother on the hill ALREADY has 3 seasons where we'd finished ranked in the final AP poll, and is currently receiving a LOT of love from the media over our current team.

Nobody cares, which is why the Pac-12 and the Big 12 aren't the ONLY leagues that don't want you. The BigTen doesn't want you either. And ditto for the ACC and the SEC. Even the AAC and the MWC don't want you. Your only choices are (1) an "unsustainable" indy-irrelevance, (2) the MAC, or (3) C-USA. And that's it. You have no other options. You're THAT "midmajory". How embarrassing for you.

HUGE edge: Utah

July 16, 2019 10:55 a.m.

Wikiute,

Can you humor us and say who "we" is?

Are you the Utah pr sports rep? Multiple personalities? Demonic possession? Who is we?

Seems like with other bowls passing Utah by, Utah needed a big game and that was BYU. Game sold out within 24 hours and Utah was in Vegas just a year before that also.

But I do understand why you want bigger bowl opponents. Like last year, you got your wish, and Utah got spanked.

Maybe Northwestern feels that they should have had a better bowl and an opponent who doesn't fall asleep for half of each game. I'm not sure, I can't speak for them.

What's your take on that? Please refer to the Utah's team as "we" again, it makes you so much more entertaining.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    July 16, 2019 7:52 a.m.

Old Coach Greene

No Utah QB has ever won the Davey O’Brien Award (best QB), the Sammy Baugh Award (best passer), nor finished in Heisman final Top 3.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 16, 2019 7:25 a.m.

bemorefair - , 00

-------

Try 4-3 including a loss to:

#84 NIU 7 BYU 6 at LES

46 PPG vs #117 Hawaii, #166 NMU, #138 UMass, #106 Western Michigan

16 PPG vs #84 NIU, #23 Utah, #29 BSU

Look for 5 to 7 wins in 2019.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 16, 2019 7:11 a.m.

@one
    Do comments from fans wishing that Utah got a better destination mean that Utah was not motivated to play that game?

Can you explain how unmotivated means a fast start in Vegas but a slow start last year?

You speak for the team, I'm curious to hear you give me more nuggets of wisdom.

-----

Unlike 2008 Bama, we clearly said we deserved better and did not want to play q lower tier program in Vegas and went out and proved it.

Fast start in Vegas? Our offense didn't even show up in Vegas. Our defense was responsible for 28 points.

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    July 15, 2019 11:26 p.m.

@bemorefair - , 00

"With ZW at the helm, their record is 3-2"
    ---------------------

Actually BYU is 4-3 w/ ZW starting. He went 3-3 in the regular season beating only teams that were ranked worse than #100 - including the bowl game.

Mangum went 3-3 in the regular season beating AZ and Wisconsin. Lost to UW, Cal and USU. UW and USU finished ranked.

ZW beat:

Hawaii - final ranking, #117
    Umass - #138
    New Mexico State - #166
    Western Michigan - #106

They were literally the worst teams BYU played in 2018. With the exception of McNeese State who finished #187.

Keep in mind that there are only 130 FBS teams in the nation. Sagarin ranks all teams, FBS and FCS, ranking 255 college football teams.

• Old Coach Greene Brigham City, UT
    July 15, 2019 10:41 p.m.

My opinion on the very best QB ever at BYU is Steve Sarkisian. Over 2 years he was better than any other QB at BYU in a 2 year (consecutive) stretch and played tougher competition than any other Y QB before him. It is also the only 2 years I ever rooted for BYU and it may be biased since I enjoyed watching him at El Camino Community College in Torrance, CA. I also think his 1996 Cougars would have pounded the 1984 Cougars into submission. He was a better baseball player coming out of West High School than football player...

Detmer was a gutsy and dynamic college QB, but I feel his Heisman was a career award, not for one year as the best college football player.

My favorite QB of all time? Cade McKnown at UCLA in the late 90s. Any dude that steps out of the huddle and loses his lunch on the 50 yard line and with out so much as a drink of water steps back into the game and executes is alright in my book. Not saying he is the best, just my favorite. Plus, UCLA owned USC in the 90s! And in all the years I have been watching college football and all the QBs I have seen over the years I think I am entitled to my opinion!

Cheers!

• Old Coach Greene Brigham City, UT
    July 15, 2019 10:10 p.m.

@roadrunner

Most people forget that Steve Young was drafted as a running back for the LA Express of the USFL. Young was a good tough QB and earned my respect throughout his professional career.

To say Utah has only had one good QB is very wrong. Mitchell, McCoy, Dolce, Johnson, Wynn and even Wilson were good QBs and that is a reality (apologies to U QBs I have forgotten). The system at BYU during the 80s and 90s allowed their QBs to put up big numbers passing. Doesn't mean they were better QBs, it was just a different system. In addition, Lavell kept his foot on the gas in every game no matter the score adding to the stats. The stats are impressive no doubt, but, it doesn't necessarily make them better or U QBs worse. Had Mitchell chose BYU instead of U he may have been better that the 3 you mentioned because of the system.

July 15, 2019 10:07 p.m.

"You can continue to be oblivious to the fact that your team has a problem recruiting if you wish... "

That's the million $ question, not the statement.

Can BYU get the types of players that allow them to compete?

BYU has always had recruiting issues, it's got advantages and disadvantages.

LaVell figured out how to compete with lesser recruits. And while some think that that's an anomaly, so did Utah and TCU, and Boise and UCF.

Recruiting issues are a long painful process, crowton got the wrong kind of great talent as BYU couldn't turn an eye to issues on and off the field. Recruiting languished under Bronco who's wins declined over his tenure. Kalani has yet to really been proven yet, but if grimes gets an OL and QB that can run a game, and if the defense can preform well, then BYU could make it back.

The team is either poised to be a slight surprise to fans (not seeing stars, let's just aim for gradually improving) or not. Time will tell.

Will we really get a plug and play system with the best athletes on the field at the same time or is this just wishful pandering to fans. I'm excited to see either way.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    July 15, 2019 7:44 p.m.

"Why would a "Notre Dame" fan even care?"

You can continue to be oblivious to the fact that your team has a problem recruiting if you wish, but I would be a little concerned if I were a fan. But you are more concerned about my level of care.

July 15, 2019 6:42 p.m.

So because your most proud moment was when Fauonuku made a comment, for which he later apologized for and mentioned that he's got friends on BYU's team, you can speak for the entire team?

You forgot, that unless I'm mistaken, didn't he start out by saying that BYU is a good team?

Back to you - when exactly were you named the spokesperson for Utah football players?

You speak for the team, I'm curious to hear you give me more nuggets of wisdom.

BTW - keep the first person perspective, because with the span of your personalization, it is indeed impressive how many years of extra eligibility you've been given.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 15, 2019 4:02 p.m.

one liner - Dallas, TX
    July 15, 2019 7:54 a.m.
    Uteology,

Are you the PR person or were you a player for Utah in the Vegas bowl?

If not, you couldn't possibly know what you are pretending to be the expert on. How do you know what players were thinking and if it was a consensus thought.

------------

It's not that difficult, try doing some research.

Is facing BYU in the Las Vegas Bowl what Ute players wanted? The emotions are mixed
    Source: Deseret News

Utah's Fauonuku tells BYU it's a 'dirty team' at Las Vegas Bowl welcome reception
    Source: Deseret News

Comment sections are clear, Utah Nation didn't want to play BYU in Vegas.

• bemorefair , 00
    July 15, 2019 2:50 p.m.

I see several comments about BYU's current coaching staff's record and they are lumping in 2017 records to justify BYU's inability to coach.

BYU's entire offensive staff, along with most of the starters, are gone from that 2017 team. With ZW at the helm, their record is 3-2, with both losses by the narrowest of margins against two top 30 teams. The 3 wins were blowouts. The offense, with both losses included, still averaged nearly 35 points per game.

BYU is better. Actually, they are miles ahead of 2017 and even significantly improved from the 2018 team. Yet, for some strange reason, Ute trolls are desperate to cling to this crazy notion that BYU hasn't changed since 2017, perhaps because Kalani is still the head coach. I hope the Ute team shares those same delusions and takes BYU as lightly as the trolls here do.

• AlwaysAnAggie Hyrum, UT
    July 15, 2019 2:43 p.m.

@bemorefair-you infer that Kalani Sitake is a better coach than Gary Anderson. I believe that if you look at their resumes you will find that Coach Anderson is the better coach, recruiter, and tactician. And as far as the Cougs beating the Ags in Maverik Stadium....dream on. I guarantee the Aggies won't be one of the Cougars 4 wins.

• bemorefair , 00
    July 15, 2019 2:20 p.m.

@AlwaysAnAggie says

"Successful programs develop a system and recruit athletes who fit that system."

As a coach, I want to take full advantage of my star players' abilities. I want the best players to play, and I want them to do what they do best within the framework of the system. That's how you win games.

But sure, go ahead and believe BYU coaches are naive. Won't you be surprised when USU loses at home to BYU with their inferior coaches? lol

July 15, 2019 1:19 p.m.

I can't help but come back to UteWiki's comment again and laugh.

"Of course you loved that game, you guys are obsessed with Utah so much so that Cougar Nation sent emails to Vegas Bowl reps to make Utah your opponent. We didn't even want to be in Vegas. We weren't "motivated" to play BYU."

First of all, how does he know that us guys emailed ESPN? Did ESPN tell him? Is he the PR guy for ESPN as well as Utah Football?

Why would ESPN follow what fans say if it doesn't pay out financially? I'm sure that their marketing department would have better ideas than fans. Or perhaps the truth is a bit more simple - Utah is not a huge brand in the PAC, and it's most exciting match-up happened to be BYU.

The big thing here is sportsmanship. This "we don't want to be on the field" notion about the rest of the Vegas game or last year's game is disgusting.

I have more respect for Utah athletes to believe that drivel.

What I liked about BYU most in Vegas, they believed that they could win and didn't give up. What I liked most about Utah last year against BYU, they believed that they could win and never gave up.

• PhineasGauge St Paul, MN
    July 15, 2019 12:05 p.m.

I love ARod. He was, and I assume he still is, a great recruiter. That said, he will have to show that he has greatly improved in his ability to develop QB's. His record of success, at Utah, was less than stellar. BYU is getting similar level of recruits at BYU that ARod was getting at Utah. Guess we will see if he has figured out a "plug and play" system there. He certainly never established that at Utah.

• Road Runner Cedar City, UT
    July 15, 2019 11:27 a.m.

theFAKEnd

"I don't expect to see much improvement in the level of play for BYU. Their 2019 recruiting class is ranked 81st and 2020 isn't currently much better at 73rd. They will win a few games that they were supposed to lose, and lose a few that they should have won."

Why would a "Notre Dame" fan even care?

bwahaha

• Road Runner Cedar City, UT
    July 15, 2019 11:21 a.m.

Lester the Jester

"Even Steve Young, the only passable NFL QB EVER, was a TOTAL BUST at Tampa Bay for two years and was waived in fact."

You quite obviously don't understand that football is a team sport.

QB's only excel when they have an OL to block, receivers to catch, and running backs to run the ball.

Young pushed one of the greatest QB's of all time out of his starting position.

The Utes have NEVER had a QB the caliber of Young, McMahon, or Detmer.

Utah's greatest QB ever, didn't win a single national QB award.

• Road Runner Cedar City, UT
    July 15, 2019 11:14 a.m.

Utah-Hawaii Alum

The last, and ONLY, decent Utah QB was Alex Smith...

a decade and a half ago.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    July 15, 2019 10:05 a.m.

It wont matter who we play at QB we should be awesome this year no matter what with this schedule.

July 15, 2019 7:54 a.m.

Uteology,

Are you the PR person or were you a player for Utah in the Vegas bowl?

Are we to believe that a kid who makes obsessive comments about BYU is not interested in games with BYU?

You need to work on logic and credibility.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 14, 2019 2:10 p.m.

one liner - Dallas, TX
    July 14, 2019 1:07 p.m.
    Utah had 3 QBs score 4 TDs against their defense, Wilson was one of them and the only one to score 4 TDs and still lose.

-------

Wilson had 5 TDs if you include the pick 6 he threw.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 14, 2019 2:06 p.m.

one liner - Dallas, TX
    July 13, 2019 10:47 p.m.
    "Not as desperate as BYU was down 35-14, late in the 4th in Vegas, on 4th and 14 on your own 32. They went for it and magic happened, they made the game close!"

I'll bite.

I loved that game.

Unlike the guy I'm quoting, who's ego seems to be tied to putting down BYU, I'm in it for entertainment and that game was wildly entertaining.

--------

We didn't even want to be in Vegas. We weren't "motivated" to play BYU.

The game was boring, it was over in the first 8 minutes. At that point, we were more worried about the postgame Vegas buffet lines.

July 14, 2019 1:07 p.m.

If Utes were really unimpressed with him, I see no reason why this conversation is only bring carried by ute fans telling us how Wilson was ineffective.

The team overall lost, including Wilson, but he matched the most TDs put up on the Utes.

Maybe he'll be effective, maybe ineff

• Lester L. Wester Salt Lake City, UT
    July 14, 2019 10:59 a.m.

Utah-Hawaii Alum: "I meant that John Beck was the last decent college QB BYu produced. Even Steve Young, the only passable NFL QB EVER, was a TOTAL BUST at Tampa Bay for two years and was waived in fact. He got lucky by going to one of the greatest teams in NFL history in San Francisco during the Joe Montana years and had a couple great years is all. In essence, BYu is a ol' WAC era aberration/relic is all."

And I meant to smile at the article's alluding that a current QB's skills are evidenced by his performance in HS or practice two years ago; nothing you said. :)

• CO Ute , 00
    July 14, 2019 9:36 a.m.

Ralph has a dose of selective memory from the game last year. As the Utes got back into the game BYU has several 3rd down situations. On 3rd and 1 they did run the ball and were stopped. On 3rd and 9 another run. 3rd and 8 a sack. 3rd and 1 an incompletion. 3rd and 4 a sack.

Hardly going into a shell and more of not being able to contain the pass rush plus not being able to convert two very short third down opportunities.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    July 14, 2019 5:48 a.m.

I don't expect to see much improvement in the level of play for BYU. Their 2019 recruiting class is ranked 81st and 2020 isn't currently much better at 73rd. They will win a few games that they were supposed to lose, and lose a few that they should have won. I don't see them ever reaching the highest levels of the college football kingdom, only mediocrity.

July 13, 2019 10:56 p.m.

Is there a separate way for fans of BYU to talk about the article and how it relates to BYU - without Utah and the rivalry?

About the article - I'd love to see BYU play the QBs and give them playing time for a few reasons:

1 - it prepps them to play in games
    2 - it keeps them contributing when they aren't starting
    3 - if done properly, the defense can have fits with the switching of signal callers and the possibility of using multiple dual threats at once

Would be good to see if BYU can implement this properly. It's great playing a video game but hard in live action - but if BYU can do it then they should. No reason to have Hall and Romeny only get RB stats.

July 13, 2019 10:47 p.m.

I'll bite.

I loved that game.

While I'm upset that BYU has lost a miserable amount of games against Utah, I love the way these games play out. I love this rivalry, it's exciting to watch.

I'm under no delusion that BYU won that game, and the biggest accomplishment wasn't almost beating Utah, Wisconsin was easily the biggest last season.

I really love the entertainment factor. I'm fine with losses, I shake them off a few minutes after the game is over - but even with the losses BYU is generally a fun team to cheer for.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    July 13, 2019 7:17 p.m.

What success are you talking about? This program has been in decline for years as there is really no strategy for winning. Take a look at the schedule and the wins and losses.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 13, 2019 7:01 p.m.

Gruncle Ralph - Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2019 12:23 p.m.
    @CoUte
    Last fall BYU never responded and Utes won going away.

-----------

Yeah, Ute fans make the sleep walking excuse..... a lot.

There were several factors that played into that.

Utah definitely stepped up their effort in the 4th Q, the pick 6 was a definite energizer for them. Utah started to play like they had nothing to lose. Desperate teams usually do, and being down 27-7 made them a very desperate team.

------

They went for it and magic happened, they made the game close!

To this day BYU fans celebrate that dominating margin of defeat as one of thier biggest accomplishments this century!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 13, 2019 6:47 p.m.

"Running out the clock down to their seldom-used, 5th string RB."

-------

I am confused, thier 5th string RB lit up Western Michigan for 108 yards on 8.2 per carry.

The same defense Wilson tore up for a 330+ passing rating.

Yet Wilson is a Hesmian candidate and Burt is thier seldom used 5th string talent.

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    July 13, 2019 6:03 p.m.

@jimjr - Kaysville, UT

"Quick question for Utes...had BYU been selected into the PAC-12 instead of Colorado, would Cougs have been more competitive these past few years? Or, are U glad they are Independent and not as strong as P-5? Just wondering."
    ------------------------------

Could be a good question but it's one we can't really answer the competitive question. So, real answer? Who knows?

As for being glad? Not really. The rivalry is better when both teams are good, so it's likely more fun if they are in a P5.

Competitive wise:
    Maybe Bronco would still be coaching at BYU, maybe it would still be Sitake. Maybe someone else all together.

Coaching makes a difference in dev. and recruiting.

Then there is recruiting. In theory, recruiting would be better, but the restrictions still exist at BYU and as a result, we just don't know. The BYU recruiting uptick may not be as drastic as every BYU fan seems to think.

Also, BYU's transition to a P5 would be rough. Like, not much winning at all. And that does effect recruiting.

So, I conclude with what I started with. We just can't know how they'd be competitive wise.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    July 13, 2019 2:39 p.m.

"Continued success"...lol!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 13, 2019 2:34 p.m.

@BlueHusky - Saratoga Springs, UT
    July 13, 2019 9:54 a.m.

1) Bronco left the cupboard bare when he left. He had already essentially stopped recruiting the year before.

------

Sure he did and here's the proff.

Average class rankings over last 4 years:

Bronco: #66
    Sitake: #78

Source: Rivals

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 13, 2019 2:31 p.m.

Gruncle Ralph - Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2019 12:52 p.m.
    @azute1
    Wilson had 65 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT in the 2nd half when Utah's defense woke up after hibernating the 1st half.

-----------

More like Zach had those passing numbers through 11 minutes or so of the 2nd half while the rest was spent with coaches drastically pulling back on the reigns hoping they could hang on by running out the clock down to their seldom-used, 5th string RB.

--------

Not according play-by-play stats over the last 4 BYU drives. When Utah defense woke up down 27-7 Wilson still went for.

* 32 of 65 (49%) 2nd half passing yards
    * 22 of 73 (30%) total rushing yards

So according to game stats, BYU playing conservative isn't why you lost, instead you were throughly beaten 35-7 after Utah awoke from hibernation.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    July 13, 2019 2:22 p.m.

@ jimjr,

BYu has NEVER been considered to join any big conference. Colorado eclipses BYu easily in every way, especially academically, as do all schools in the PAC and all other P5 conferences. Nobody is gonna put up with any and all things BYu pal. TRUE!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 13, 2019 2:13 p.m.

"Why BYU football coaches believe plug-and-play system at QB can bring continued success."

I agree. Now let's look at the "success" they desire to continue. In the three years under the current coach and staff. Overall record is 20 wins; 19 losses. Against p-5 competition 5 wins ; 10 losses. Two bowl games: A win over Western Michigan in the Famous Idaho Pot bowl; and a win over Wyoming in the San Diego Bowl.

So, yes, I believe BYU can continue their recent success. Way to set the goal high.

• MOMS Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2019 1:59 p.m.

"With these QBs, we just want to plug them in, and they go. That's the idea,"

And, with those ideas, there would have been no Jim McMahon or Steve Young.
    Have better ideas, coaches.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    July 13, 2019 1:51 p.m.

@ Gruncle Ralph,

I wanna enlighten U dear saint. I cannot remember the last time that BYu scored a TD vs Utah playing man-D. It must have been last century before KWhitt.

After the pick-six by Utah in the 3rd, the next BYu drive was against KWhitt's lazy zone..........that is when he told himself "that is enough." From that point on.........the wolves ate BYu alive at will, like they always do in man-D........we all witnessed it.

I tell ya what buddy, Utah has a pretty good team in 2019...........good luck........

• jimjr Kaysville, UT
    July 13, 2019 1:36 p.m.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    July 13, 2019 12:59 p.m.

@ Lester,

Cheers man! Gooooooo Utes!

• Gruncle Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2019 12:52 p.m.

@azute1

-----------

One team started to play like they had nothing to lose while coaches on the other team took their foot off the gas and tried to coast to the finish line.

That 19 min stretch (late 3rd Q - late 4thQ) where Grimes ran 90% off the time killed us

• Gruncle Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2019 12:23 p.m.

@CoUte
    Last fall BYU never responded and Utes won going away.

-----------

Yeah, Ute fans make the sleep walking excuse..... a lot.

There were several factors that played into that.

It had the opposite effect on BYU coaches who drastically changed their offensive game plan and all of a sudden started coaching "afraid to lose" rather than sticking with their balanced attack on offense.

Grimes had a 19 min stretch from the late 3rd Q to the to just after Utah scored their last TD where he only called 3 passing plays. This coincided with BYU losing their only effective RB to injury for the rest of the game. Matt Hadley was the only RB who had any success moving the ball on the ground and going to an ultra-conservative run-heavy approach with a seldom-used 5th string RB was a guaranteed way to lose the game.

• Lester L. Wester Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2019 10:21 a.m.

Max was an embarrassment: "Your focus should be on Washington and not BYU, but thank you for never focusing on what you should and for keeping BYU in your thoughts."

BYU-P is Utah's first game and this year will have Utah's undivided attention. Zach had better buckle up for this one.

• Lester L. Wester Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2019 10:12 a.m.

Utah-Hawaii Alum: "The last decent BYu QB was John Beck.........13 years ago. Here we go again with the unfounded superlatives........HAHA!"

But he looked good in practice two years ago.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    July 13, 2019 10:10 a.m.

@ Brother Blue Husky,

I feel your terminal pain, sir. It has been grueling for U ever since the failed "indy" experiment without doubt. On the bright side, as it relates to all things BYu..........Y fans love BYu wholeheartedly. So, U have a few fellow friends and believers. GREAT!

Try to keep yoUr chin up and enjoy the sabbath day today,

• BlueHusky Saratoga Springs, UT
    July 13, 2019 9:54 a.m.

Wow, another bunch of ignorant comments.

2) Year 1 of the post-Bronco era still had two future pros at QB and RB. They had a good year. Meanwhile new coach had to re-start the recruiting.

3) Year 2 of Sitake's tenure was a disaster because they simply did not have the athletes. And OC Detmer clearly was out of his depth, not having coached at any college level. BYU could not move the ball against Portland State, let alone Auburn and Mississippi State.

4) Year 3 of Sitake's tenure was a total rebuild, with a new OC, Jeff Grimes (from the Auburn), new recruiting. Mangum was very slow so BYU had to rely on a running game. They beat Arizona and Wisconsin on the road, but lost to Cal and others. After six games, OC sat Mangum and started Zach Wilson who turned the offense around. Injuries were a huge factor, especially on offense that entire year.

Look for this year to be built on what worked last year, but with more talent. Sleeping on BYU will get you beaten. But snooze away, Utah. You don't have to worry about a thing. BYU will lay down for you. For sure.

• CO Ute , 00
    July 13, 2019 9:31 a.m.

Wilson is a great young man that showed a lot of talent last year but will need to step up his game quickly this year the first month of the season. The Y coaches were smart to play Mangum against the P5 teams and ease in the freshman as the schedule softened. Let’s see how he fares in September.
    And, I get a chuckle how many fans will post about Wilson’s great success against Utah last year. Many of those same fans post about how the Utes were lucky to be an unmotivated Alabama team in the Sugar Bowl. As KWhit pointed out, when his team quit sleepwalking the took control of the game against BYU.
    Sabin got his team moving against Utah closing the score to 21-17 and the Utes responded by scoring the final 10 points for a win over Alabama. Last fall BYU never responded and Utes won going away.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    July 13, 2019 9:29 a.m.

As it stands today, BYu has only three legit players on their team.........Isaiah Kaufusi, Khyiris Tonga and James Empey. Lil' Zachary Wilson and Matt Bushman could be okay in the future, but they gotta get in shape and Bushman had better learn how to block ASAP!!!!!

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    July 13, 2019 9:08 a.m.

Ever since Max Hall, EVERY BYu QB has turned out to be the "12th man" on Utah's defense!!!!! That claim isn't debatable.........we Utes relish in it! HAHA!

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    July 13, 2019 8:30 a.m.

A lot of this thread seems to be devoted to the notion that Zack Wilson gave the Utes fits last year, ended up destroying their defense as the Coogs romped to victory on Utah's home field!

Except for the fact that at least one of those things didn't happen, did it? Please inform me if I'm mistaken. I would never want to disparage the great work this fine young man has accomplished and fail to give him his due.

Or, I guess I could find the answer to my question by looking at the---(wait for it.....) ahem---scoreboard? (Said while pointing finger at the imaginary scoreboard.)

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    July 13, 2019 8:29 a.m.

Really ARod, how is this gonna happen? It won't! BYu doesn't have the players, coaches or program to make any noise in D1 college football these days.

Although these DNews articles are great fun for everyone that despises all things BYu, which there are many, I believe it does a TRUE disservice to all Y fans. They get so amped-up before the season and then have to call a crisis hotline by week #5. Oh my.....? It is pretty funny though! :-D

• Dennis Harrisville, UT
    July 13, 2019 8:24 a.m.

This is the Coaches way of passing the buck.

• Italian Ute , 00
    July 13, 2019 7:41 a.m.

@ water rocket
    ZW had the day of his life against Wayward Michigan. Do you really think that holds up against tougher competition?

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 13, 2019 6:27 a.m.

Aggies#1 - MURRAY, UT
    July 12, 2019 10:01 p.m.

@Azute
    Let's face it. Wilson tore apart the Utes last year. Unfortunately the Utes won't be able to play against the best college QB in the state of Utah. Go Aggies and go Jordan Love!

——-

ZW did what? Go ahead & break it all down for us & be certain to identify how he did against us down the stretch during crunch-time.

Regarding JL, if he were really the best, then certainly he beat good teams last year, didn’t he? Go ahead & name even one single good team he beat.

Go Utes!

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    July 13, 2019 6:10 a.m.

Uh, "continued success" . . .really?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 13, 2019 2:10 a.m.

Aggies#1 - MURRAY, UT
    July 12, 2019 10:01 p.m.
    @Azute

------

Utah is considered a top 15 team, Utah State is lucky they face BYU this year.

July 12, 2019 11:31 p.m.

"Utah faces a LOT of really good QBs. Every yr. Wilson last yr, was probably the 8th best Utah faced. At least at that time"

There are a lot of parts of the game. I'd think that the team that put the most points up against Utah would have the most efficient qb.

Washington state, lead by minshew was ranked #10 and put up an impressive 28 points. He's in the NFL now.

By virtue of a missed point after, Wilson only put up 27, as a freshman.

Post season Utah got 31 hung on them in the bowl game, so you can count Wilson as the #3, almost tying minshew because it's not his fault the extra point missed. But to that all 3 top scoring teams that faced Utah had a qb score 4 TDs - so you could claim that he's tied for #1.

I can't see any non-biased justification for saying that Wilson was the 8th best qb facing Utah last year. But even still, that places him in front of some P5 QBs as a freshman.

Wilson is young, he's just had surgery, I'm not ready to crown him yet - but let's give credit where it's due, the kid plays a big game and is fun to watch. Hall is right behind him too.

• Old Coach Greene Brigham City, UT
    July 12, 2019 11:28 p.m.

@max

You are wrong here, Utah should be 100% focused on BYU. That is game #1 on the schedule. Nothing else matters. Reality...no offense intended.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    July 12, 2019 11:02 p.m.

Always good to read more articles about BYU. Looking forward to a another fun season where we always get to see at least a few football stars on BYU's roster, go Cougars!

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    July 12, 2019 10:39 p.m.

@Aggies#1 - MURRAY, UT

"Let's face it. Wilson tore apart the Utes last year."
    ---------------------------

Yeah, 204 passing yards, 2 TDs 1 INT pick six and was sacked 4 times, in a losing effort, seems less than "tearing Utah apart last yr." to me.

Jordan Love is a really good QB. It would be fun to face USU. But that's not how the schedule is.

Utah faces a LOT of really good QBs. Every yr. Wilson last yr, was probably the 8th best Utah faced. At least at that time.

I am certain BYU fans feel otherwise. ZW should be better this yr. We will see in about 45 days.

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    July 12, 2019 10:27 p.m.

@Deanvrtc - Vancouver, WA

What games would Wilson have won that Mangum didn't? You said, BYU would have had a couple more wins if Wilson had played instead of Mangum.

Mangum beat Wisconsin and Arizona, and lost to, Cal, UW and USU. Cal had a particularly good defense last yr. And that was USU's best team in, well, ever. Mangum was 3-3.

Wilson beat zero teams ranked better than #100. That is a fact. Not narrative. Wilson was 3-3 prebowl.

Wilson lost to Utah, NIU and Boise. I don't think he beats Cal, UW or USU last yr.

In my opinion, Mangum may have beaten Boise actually.

I don't hate either. I hope the best for Zach Wilson. Good kid and he looks like he can play football. I just don't buy that BYU wins more games if he plays instead of Mangum. Just an opinion.

• Aggies#1 MURRAY, UT
    July 12, 2019 10:01 p.m.

@Azute

• Max-was-right Mapleton, UT
    July 12, 2019 7:36 p.m.

One thing is certain. BYU brings out the ugly of u. I feel bad for u fans. Your focus should be on Washington and not BYU, but thank you for never focusing on what you should and for keeping BYU in your thoughts.

• water rocket , 00
    July 12, 2019 7:21 p.m.

Why is every one evading the elephant in the room issue of how the coaches, and not the players, have had a hard time figuring out the need for more passing and less predictable running schemes? During the bowl game BYU averaged 18 yards per pass play and only 4 yards per run play, and yet they only passed the ball 19 times, while they ran (tried to run) the ball 33 times. The bottom line is that BYU NEEDS more passing plays, but the coaches apparently aren't creative enough to adapt to that style?

• freight-train , CA
    July 12, 2019 7:06 p.m.

Cool...I really hope it works out. I’ll give them a few weeks of my attention...then I just hope I’m still motivated to watch BYU Football after that 3rd week.
    As always, success lies with the O-line, the defense, and consistency—my wife scolds me every time I pray at the dinner table for these three things.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 12, 2019 6:55 p.m.

“I mean let’s face facts here. It makes sense that Wilson was more successful against Hawaii’s, UMass’, and NM St’s Defenses than Mangum was vs. Cal’s, Wisc’s, and UWa’s.”

Furthermore, when will ZW ever beat a Top-100 opponent, IF ever?

Go Utes!

• Vanka Provo, UT
    July 12, 2019 5:32 p.m.

"Continued success"?

Last season was barely "successful" in the sense of having a winning season and becoming bowl eligible. But most of us set a higher bar for "success" than that! A successful season for BYU must include beating Utah!

And whatever "success" we had the last half of the season was due more to SoS (as it were) rather than an offensive scheme suddenly working!

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    July 12, 2019 5:11 p.m.

". It changed, to some degree, when the staff opted for Wilson as the starting quarterback midseason. The offense took off as a result."

Oblivious to the fact that the competition dropped off when Zach took over. Of course that had nothing to do with his success. Oh, and he lost to Utah, remember?

"Soon-to-be Cougar Sol-Jay Maiava, who is currently committed to the program? "

Why did the writer end that sentence with a question mark? Perhaps because on his most recent Elite 11 profile he made it clear that he was "uncommitted".

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    July 12, 2019 4:56 p.m.

It will be interesting to see if BYU can put together a consistent supporting cast to plug their QBs into. I’m most interested to see if a go-to receiver steps up and if the RB core can take some of the pressure off of the QB position.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2019 4:29 p.m.

"BYU football coaches believe plug-and-play system at QB can bring continued success"
    Preparing fans because Wilson is not ready to go? No worries, "we have a system".

"So which quarterback was Roderick referencing? Soon-to-be Cougar Sol-Jay Maiava, who is currently committed to the program?"
    Currently committed. Seems the writer knows that early verbal commits mean nothing.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 12, 2019 4:23 p.m.

The obsession is certainly still going strong. I really like what BYU is doing

• Eastern CO Coug Elizabeth, CO
    July 12, 2019 3:06 p.m.

Last year was a tragedy in terms of the team and new coaches trying to figure things out on offense. The California game I went to last year was going well in the first half and then the team could not move the ball in the second half. Have to give CA some credit and their good defense, but the coaches were unable to adjust on offense. Mangum struggled in that game without a doubt. It was a really hard game to watch after driving all the way from Colorado. It was if all the plays were scripted and that the coaches could not shift gears. Here's hoping for a better year.

• Utah-Hawaii Alum CA, 00
    July 12, 2019 2:40 p.m.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 12, 2019 2:21 p.m.

“During Roderick's first season…the decision was to first go with Tanner Mangum with a somewhat traditional drop-back and run-heavy offense. It changed, to some degree, when the staff opted for Wilson as the starting quarterback midseason. The offense took off as a result.” -- Brandon Gurney

It’s more likely that “the offense took off as a result" of the fact that at this point, the tdS entered the more “mdimajory” portion of their schedule. I mean let’s face facts here. It makes sense that Wilson was more successful against Hawaii’s, UMass’, and NM St’s Defenses than Mangum was vs. Cal’s, Wisc’s, and UWa’s.

• AlwaysAnAggie Hyrum, UT
    July 12, 2019 2:09 p.m.

Seems like the article states the obvious. Successful programs develop a system and recruit athletes who fit that system. Is this basic knowledge news to the BYU coaching staff? If it is their problems are deeper than anyone knows. You would never see a successful program change their system to fit one specific athlete. It will be interesting to see if Wilson continues to take off out of the pocket this season. He will be playing against 4 high caliber teams right out of the gate, who have run the same systems for years, it will be interesting to see if he has the same success as he had against the dregs of football he played against last year. Mangum took the beating, and Wilson swept up against the weaker portion of the schedule. Plug and play....I like it.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    July 12, 2019 1:55 p.m.

Our ‘11 style beat-down is fast approaching.

Go Utes!

• Deanvrtc Vancouver, WA
    July 12, 2019 1:50 p.m.

Great programs are able to do this with at least two deep guys who can deliver. BYU has not always had that ability. Coaches were forced (last year) to use Mangum, because Wilson was apparently not ready? I'm still puzzled over that one. In my opinion, it cost us a couple of wins.
    This year we seem to have at least two guys that can do the job. We will need them both with our schedule. Wilson certainly has the ability and seems to be unafraid to let it roll. He needs to be smart, because these P5 teams have watched last years film. They will certainly be ready for him as he leaves the pocket to run.